Broken arm - healing time - Post Surgery Update post #11

[QUOTE=Bluey;7701152]
I had surgery to correct the bones in my left arm and I am left handed.
They cut the ulna down and put a plate and 7 screws in it.
They also did some work on the wrist.
They give you some nerve blocks, that stop pain for a day or two.
There was practically no pain afterwards, didn’t even need any pain medication.

It healed fine and once the cast came off, all was ok.

The worst was picking a color for the vetrap they used over the cast, all were neon bright colors.
Seems that most that break arms are kids.

Best I remember, the operation required a cast for four weeks.
Once the cast was off, I was good to go, but had to do some therapy for a couple or three weeks for the wrist.

I hope yours heals just as quickly and well.[/QUOTE]

Bluey, did you have an ulnar shortening osteotomy? I had one back in Jan. on my right arm (right handed of course) after a failed TFCC repair. Mine didn’t heal, so I had a bone graft in June and they replaced the plate. Seems to be on the mend now, although it’s still not 100%. I’ve never met anyone else who had this surgery done! You’ll have to tell me what you said when people asked you “oh no, what happened to your arm?” Explaining the whole thing to strangers at Starbucks got tiresome, so I eventually just made up a good story.

To be honest… I rode about a month after the first surgery. My mare is older and fairly quiet, so I just did walk trot in the arena at first. As I got braver, I started cantering and even went on some easy trail rides. But like I said, my mare is quiet, and I’ve had her a long time, so I trust her. I know accidents happen regardless, but I figured my arm was protected in the cast.

After the second surgery, I was much more disobedient. I had my husband boost me up and lead me around on day 3. He was not pleased, but I wore him down.

I would have to advise against riding until your arm is healed if you’re not in a cast. Just seems too risky if you were to fall. But my surgeon made the mistake of telling me that the cast would protect my arm very well, including in a car accident. Sooo I took that to mean that it would be protected from my horse. I know riding was probably not the smartest thing to do, but it’s hard to stay out of the saddle.