Unlimited access >

Building Stalls Update post 39

Good to know thank you!

I like that mesh!

1 Like

Helpful! Thank you!

Cute horse!

IKR! Rodents are the worst! Are your spaces all capped?

she is a rescue that had been turned in to the Morgan SafeNet who spent many years alone in a vast pasture, she is 25ish and really does not like being stalled but will tolerate being up during bad weather

I have capped them off now, but since my barn floor is dirt, a squirrel dug under and hangs out in the gap. I don’t have any cats, but the squirrel hasn’t caused any damage. I end up with a squirrel every few years. I see the occasional mouse, but have never seen any mouse poop or damage due to mice.

A few years ago, I kept finding parts of dead birds and rabbits in my stalls. I thought a fox was hiding them, but then I learned that pregnant squirrels will eat meat scraps. Gross!

1 Like

Is the corner of the post exposed or is everything flush on the inside? And then on the front, is is also flush or not? Sorry if I’m being dense!

Squirrels!

I can just see an armadillo trying to take up residence in my barn :woman_facepalming:t2:

tomorrow I will photograph how we did it, we built these stalls in 1992

1 Like

If you build them in such a way that there is a gap between the stall wall and the building wall, it will be the perfect hiding place for mice, squirrels, etc. (Speaking from experience).

If you are not seeing mice, there is a good chance there is a snake in there somewhere. I know I have one. I have seen her coming and going on occasion. She leaves a shed skin somewhere in the barn every year; last year it was six feet long.

Or other things. My hunt barn stalls were built with double walls with gaps between adjacent stall walls and outside walls. I had occasion to remove bottom boards one work day. A 50 year accumulation of empty whiskey bottles came pouring out. It reminded me of winning at a slot machine.

5 Likes

Thank you!

I keep coming back to these parts. The pricing is very attractive for aluminum. I was intending on using mesh wire instead of traditional grills to save dollars but maybe it’s worth it to spend the extra money to have a more traditional look; in aluminum which I know will wear well long term.

You can start with mesh wire and easily upgrade to the bars.

1 Like

We built two shed row type barns in Florida when we lived there. The first one was the best because it kept most of the sideways water out during hurricanes and tropical storms. I can post some pictures, if you want.

2 Likes

That’s an idea!

The barn itself is already up! I’m just now getting around to building out proper stalls!

I’m struggling with wanting all sides of the stalls to be flush and smooth with no posts sticking in or out on either side. If you have pics that show that I’d be super grateful!

1 Like

If you do that, 1) you’ll leave fun homes for rodents and 2) you’ll spend double the cost in lumber. I’m at peace with the fact that some posts are going to be exposed when I do my build out. Screw an old push broom head to them and let the horses use them as scratching posts.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll have the one horse that pokes his eye on a splinter from an exposed post lol.

I think I can set everything to make the sides, dividers and backs flush but the fronts I can’t figure out how to make flush.

Maybe I can spray foam any spaces lol

1 Like

Update Post!

We ended up using 6x6 posts for the corners and for the spaces for the Dutch doors that will open from the backs of the stalls to the run out paddocks. We lined those posts up with the existing barn structure / framing and bolted the posts to the existing barn structure / framing. Due to how the barn was constructed this dictated the stall sizes; ended up with a 10x12 and a 15x12.

@Simkie I got the aluminum stall components from Cashmans. I got the super heavy duty (thicker aluminum in the bars) and the swinging feed doors as upgrades. The service was excellent, the shipping was fast and the components were easy to assemble. I’m very happy with them.

Still need to finish bolting the header boards together, a few trim boards and the braces on the 2x6 walls. Hoping to do that and start leveling the floors this weekend so we can get the mats installed.

5 Likes

Got a picture of the corners, from the inside of the stalls? I like that flush to the post look!

1 Like