Unlimited access >

Buyer coat color phobia real?

It could be a combination of color and size. I got a good deal on a small chestnut mare about 8 years ago. She is 14.3h. I said to the seller “that’s a hard size to sell” and she said “tell me about it, AND she’s a chestnut mare”. Anyway, it turned out well in the end, and she’s been great for me and my kid and happily events at training level (could go higher but I don’t think we will).

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies. I myself have my preferences as stated in the first post but I wasn’t sure if there are truly die hard anti chestnut mare sentiments. The grey makes sense as it is could be a medical issue down the road. Anything I buy should be something that if it doesn’t move on quickly it won’t be a hardship to continue riding and owning until they would sell if I don’t find a long term partner.

1 Like

As someone who has purchased and started several young horses over the years and ended up selling them to their forever/show homes as solid citizens, I did notice a bit of a trend.

Mares were quite tricky to sell, I figure three quarters of people want a gelding.

Colour didn’t much matter as long as it was attractive.

Breed mattered to a good grouping of people but proven mattered more. Especially with geldings since you won’t be going for foals.

Size was a large contributor to resale. The ‘honie’ sized horses (15-15.1h) were tricky to market as competition horses but easy to resale when competition isn’t the goal. Ie. Trail safe steady eddy.
16+ hand tends to be what people watch for in the hunter world. Giant size is starting to lose fashion due to rideability for the masses and general long term soundness.

Temperaments were the largest factor against size. A true quiet but smart, same at home as at show that is a simple ride and had decent talent will likely fetch your price higher than most factors.

There are a lot of Ammys out there looking to have fun and have a shot for a ribbon (even while low) and not to mention a lot of parents looking for a kid safe horse. That’s your best market.

15hands would turn me away but only because resale is always in my head and I want the best chance at a good long and loved life for my horses.

I recently sold my ultra talented young grey WB mare who took prep in order for a sane ride in order to buy an ultra fancy (and big) coloured bay tobiano 3 year old appendix gelding.
My mare despite being the ideal size, colour (hunters love a grey) and seriously a 10 jump took much longer to sell than my off breeds.

Ideally, IMO, if you are considering resale you want to rate size and temperament over all.

I would consider my current gelding (the TBXPleasure Paint), who is mega sane, true 16.1 at coming 4y/o and looks/ moves like a floaty TB to be the easiest resale for my area. Talented enough to win locally and maybe place in larger crowds if the company is right. However, this is also what I have been searching for for years!

In the end, if you are in love, don’t hesitate but I would take longer to try and evaluate a less than ideal resale horse to ensure she is what you are looking for.

Good luck!!!

I would guess that, at some point in the 10 months that have passed since this thread began, the OP has made their decision. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did pass on the one the post was made about but am still actively looking after multiple others that have since come and gone. I always welcome more info on what sells well and doesn’t since I still just haven’t found that right fit.

2 Likes

I have to ask. How do people who say, “my lifetime horse, but I need to be ready/able to sell it if it doesn’t work” have stable long term human relationships?

18 Likes

I personally have never said forever is guaranteed to any horse I have bought except for my first mare. I would love something to grow with and keep for the next 2 decades but I am still young enough in my riding “career” that I am very aware what is a good fit right now might not be the best fit in 2-5 years. I have been happily married for over a decade now and have no issue with long term personal relationships. At the end of the day horses are a very expensive personal possession and I think it wise to always consider what your options are of having an out if life were to suddenly to change for you.

14 Likes

I agree with what you are saying however, I feel like until you have had several months together to build a bond, which is next to impossible in this horse market where the horses are selling before many can view, it is tough to know.

I have been hunting for my ‘lifer’ for ten years :expressionless:

I have had four personal horses all of which I had hoped would be that lifer. The universe unfortunately had other plans and our paths went different directions. :frowning:
I did though put enough rides into them that they were set up for their best chance of success and seriously vetted the people who ultimately purchase.

I wish for everyone to be able to find that ‘lifer’, most of us normally only find one.

I hope you find what you are looking for OP :heart:

2 Likes

Great insight pony! Love this response :slight_smile:

I would say the opposite.

Once you reach being a horse trainer then any horse will do. You may as well have a horse you like in appearance. For me that is 16.1 - 16.2 hh and black. We have 2 bays, 1 x 15.3 hh and 1 x 16.2 hh. Both given to us.

Every horse is capable of being a ‘lifer’ as they become what you train, then it only comes down to the physical and that they are able to stay alive for 20 - 30 years.

1 is now under 20 years old, 1 is now over 20 years old. I just had to get our 9 yo out down. The one I bought. You can’t pick what happens in advance.

3 Likes

Once you reach the level of being able to truly train a horse, then yes, you CAN ride most horses. Doesn’t mean you want to. I have trained all of my own for my entire adult life. I had one I trained up to by my AO hunter, he was a “lifer” and he lived with my family until he passed at 25. I had 3 horses after him, all of which I trained, and all of which I was capable of riding. But none of which I cared to keep into their old age. So I sold them. They moved on to lovely homes where they became lifers for their new owners. The next 2 I bought are lifers. There is a lot to be said for personality, work ethic (some horses more naturally have it than others), how they get along at the farm, and of course, overall suitability for what you want to do.

6 Likes

I had my “one” and he was with me for 23 years until he passed at the ripe old age of 31. I’ve been searching for my second “one” and haven’t found it. However, I do have a penchant for chestnuts, either mare or gelding, and have owned 6 of them including Mr. #1

12 Likes

Every horse I have ever had was either purchased ( or foaled by a mare I owned) with the intent of keeping them forever . Situations change ( like moving/ needing to downsize, having children etc… ) .

Sometimes the horse is destined for better things than I could give them and instead of just keeping them, I found a rider who’s needs suited the horses’s talents and abilities.

I have only had 1 long term relationship and have had no problems with long term commitment to my spouse ( going on 31 years) or my horses.

3 Likes

I lucked into a perfect smallish (15.3) young chestnut thoroughbred mare. Too slow for the track, was pulled out of a field of cows and had 6 months of retraining put into her before I bought her. Me, a pushing 50 fluffy adult ammy with a recent back surgery, lack of confidence and no real ambitions other than wanting a personable all around partner, found it. Over a year in and she just gets better and better. Schools training XC fences, won’t touch the sticks in stadium, fancy on the flat, hacks on the buckle even alone, self loads, stands tied to a trailer all day, sweet to be around, just a rock star of a lady. She does like to make sure I’m committed or paying attention every now and then, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I was looking for a packer gelding funnily enough, but she just spoke to me!

18 Likes

So I saw this thread title and assumed it was another question about correct attire for dressage …

6 Likes

Huh? My horses are MORE LIKELY to hack on the buckle ALONE, than with a lot of other distracting horses around.

3 Likes

I got my filly for free because she was an unregistered Morgan, 14.2, brown with no white at all, and halter broke. My friend could not sell her, period. Now if she’d been a 16.2 sorrel overo gelding, they’d have been beating down the door. And yet, she’s a very fancy well-built, sound as a rock, kick in the pants fun to ride horse. Admired everywhere we go. People are just prejudiced is all I can figure.

4 Likes

I tend to picture overo geldings as more like 15.2.
For one of those, I would do some door-beating myself.
Although actually I’d prefer a 14.2 Morgan.

2 Likes

This. I volunteer maybe once or twice a year at a horse trials. And I scribe dressage shows about the same. At the lower levels anything goes as far as size, breed, color as far as I can tell. Very few 16.2hh fancy TBs and WBs at that level (except babies). The horses with a good temperment who can show at that level safely will always find a rider.

9 Likes

Some of those appendix QH’s are as tall as any TB, in fact they mostly are TB. The one sharing my pasture a few years back was 16h, but sadly, was a mare. Very flashy though.

2 Likes