Unlimited access >

Buying a Saddle: Antares or Bruno Delgrange

The PJs were the non-semicustom options. PJ and BD split a few years ago. The light refers to the flatter seat and less substantial knee rolls (and maybe thigh blocks). I believe the panels were the same in all the models (Original, Pro, Lite).

The new PJs ARE NOT Bruno Delgrange saddles. There are some similarities, but they aren’t the same.

Again, try everything you can before choosing. I am not an Antares fan, but some people love them. Same can be said for just about any high quality saddle out there.

I have an older used BD and cannot say enough good things about it! I love it, it’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever sat in. Everyone else that has sat in it has loved it too :slight_smile:

I also have a delgrange athena and absolutely love it. You will have to pry that thing from my cold, dead hands. It’s the most comfortable saddle I’ve ever ridden in by far.

A friend spent a lot of money on the high end PJ model, and ended up trading it in for the antares spooner. It fit her and her horse better, and its comfy! She’s actually started a trend, everyone who rides in her saddle loves it. The spooner is the lower model, but they love it. No issues from anyone who has it so far. (I mention this b/c I think the same maker does the Bruno and the PJ, right?)

[QUOTE=jewll27;7242205]
(I mention this b/c I think the same maker does the Bruno and the PJ, right?)[/QUOTE]

No, they are actually different. PJ and Bruno Delgrange are different companies now (not made by the same place).

sorry!

I just went through saddle shopping. I went with a Bruno Delgrange.

I must say first of all THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AMAZING.

The models I tried were the Virtuose (deeper seat), Partition (same as the PJ Light) and there is a flatter model (Athena) that I didn’t try.

The tree’s should be the same in all the models and you can customize them to your horse. I would suggest trying ALL models to see which one you like. (I think the most popular are the partition and virtuose)

Regarding their customer service: I purchased a saddle that I thought I liked, but after a few months of riding in it I felt something was a little off. It tipped me forward a little. Rep came out, agreed with me and they ordered be a brand new saddle with no extra charge! The bonus is that I can keep the current saddle until the new one comes in (8-10 weeks). Now THAT is amazing customer service. And the saddle was fitted to 2 thoroughbreds, they can add memory foam to any part of the panel to ensure its the right fit for any type of horse.

The leather of the BD’s are second to none. I was FAR more impressed with the BD leather than the Antares.

I tried CWD too, and they were a great company to work with as well. I really liked their integrated flaps as it gave you a little bit of a closer feeling, but when it came down to it, it was the BD that just felt “right” to me.

Lots of good saddles an options out there, but Im very happy with my choice on Bruno Delgrange.

I was looking for a saddle this year at Rolex. Albeit a dressage saddle I did sit in the jump saddles at BD also. The MOST comfortable saddles I have ever sat in… It was just out of my price range. I am always seeking one used but they are very hard to find. I am going to save my pennies and buy one when I can.

Ride in as many saddles as you can. See if your friends will let you borrow theirs for a ride, and start to figure out what you like. There are many different brands, and even within each brand there are different types.

I have never ridden in a Delgrange but I cannot stand Antares. I felt like I was tipped forward and just ‘stuck’ in the saddle without the ability to adjust my position at all. Awful.

HOWEVER, the trainer at my old barn was sponsored by them, so most of her students rode in them, and I must say I didn’t notice any quality issues. So it’s whatever you prefer.

Delgrange customer service outranks any saddle maker I’ve run across. If you are buying new, for that reason alone they are worth ample consideration. This goes from local rep level to the international office, and even to Mr. Delgrange himself. The leather is beautiful and holds up well over time. Mine is a few years old now and I continue to receive compliments on how beautiful it is and how fine the leather is. I have no complaints with the way it’s held up to not insignificant use (2-3 horses 5-6 days a week.)

When I shopped, I tried Antares first since my barn was going through an Antares phase, but found that the saddles I tried were difficult for me, personally, to ride in. Something about the center of balance really threw me off and continues to! In the Delgrange, it’s a lot easier to stay in the right place and not constantly fight my saddle. There is the added benefit of it being very comfortable; Delgrange does a nice job with their memory foam :wink: With that said, the Antares saddles work beautifully for loads of people, so definitely best to follow the advice on here and sit in every saddle you can get your hands on. You may find that neither Antares nor Delgrange work best for you, or one works perfectly and the other does not.

I have two older (pre 2009) PJ originals that I swear by. I have no experience with Antares and therefore have no opinion other that they are very pretty :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the Delgrange love.

As some posters have pointed out there is a difference between PJ and a PJ by Delgrange and the current Delgrange. The short is if it is a newer PJ it will not be stamped PJ by Delgrange and is made by someone else.

PJ by Delgrange had 3 models. Bruno Delgrange currently have 5 models.

PJ LIte = Athena – flatter seat
PJ Pro = Partition – Semi Deep
PJ Original = Virtuose – Deep

New to Delgrange
Rivolli – FLAT
Nino – pony saddle wide body

There is very little used inventory. Most are partitions which are more of a jumper style. The good news is if you find a good deal on a used one and it doesn’t work out you shouldn’t have a problem selling it.

Our saddles fit a wide variety of horses with out changing the panels or the tree.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will see if I can help you in your saddle search.

As a final note I agree with all of the posters ride in everything you can get your hands on. When you sit in the right saddle you will know. You won’t have to search for the right position.

I had the same problem as OP, where I was constantly fighting for my position in my old saddle. Not only did it not fit my horse, but it was made of horrid leather made in Argentina. I tried A TON of saddles to fit my horse and finally came across a used PJ by Delgrange saddle at a used saddle shop. Took it on trial and I LOVED it. Even my hard-to-impress trainer gave me the seal of approval.

Delgrange’s customer service was amazing. I wasn’t sure if the saddle was the right fit for my horse, so a Delgrange representative (Kristin Dingus) came out and spent a long time watching me ride and trying different padding options to ensure it was the right fit for my guy. If I ever need to buy another saddle, it will absolutely be a Delgrange.

I might be bias since I love the saddle and had such a good experience with Delgrange but I would definitely recommend taking some used saddles on trial and just seeing what you like best and what fits your horse best.

If you haven’t bought a saddle yet, since you are in MA you should try going to Equine Affaire in W. Springfield. Antares is there with tons of used saddles at great prices!

Most deff antares. i had an antares pony saddle that was amazing that i outgrew. Then when i needed a new one, my trainer at the time was sponsored by devacoux so i decided to give it a try and get one since i got a good deal on a custom. It came in a I just did not like it. I have had it for over a year and ridden in it maybe 35 times. So i talked to an antares rep at a show and since my saddle was basically like new he traded me a brand new antares that I liked for my devacoux…no charge at all.

Another vote for Delgrange. Love the Virtuose for my TB. Fits him like a glove, no special pads. Very secure and cushy, and keeps my leg in perfect position. Gorgeous leather. Had an Antares Hampton. But had to pinch my knees, and needed correction pads to make it fit. Agree with all the others who praised Delgrange customer service.

For those wishing to try the Delgrange saddles, Kristen will have a full set up with all models and demos at the Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival at Showplace Arena, Upper Marlboro, MD. Come visit her and try away!