Unlimited access >

Buying a thin horse?

Having just purchased a then, 6 year old OTTB in February, that was a BCS of scant 4 I think you have to trust your gut. So far my story has been a success story BUT I only wanted a trail horse that could do some simple and basic dressage. I highly doubt I will ever show him and really wanted a brain, which is what my vet assured me I was purchasing. He however would not guarantee anything beyond a good brain in my horse.

When diet was discussed the reason he was a rail was obvious, the seller was only feeding him 3lbs of feed daily. His ration was 1.5lbs of rice bran and 1.5lbs of alfalfa pellets and a very crappy fescue round bale. He had no shelter and a constant rotation of pasture mates, one that was a cryptorchid that bossed him constantly. Now on 8lbs TC Sr., 1lb alfala pellets, .5lb flax, G.U.T., and Smartpak Muscle Mass daily with 5-6lbs of bermuda hay he is a solid BCS of 6 and the sweetest easy going horse.

I took a chance because my gut told me he would be a friend and that is all I wanted. I also had a budget of 2k and very little expectations. With your budget and as alluded to previous experiences I think I would pass on the TB mare. As others have stated you could pick up a green WB for that price or at least a proven TB. Just my two cents worth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks guys. I feel okay in my decision passing now. Just refeeding her would be a project that really isn’t what I’m looking for this time around. The seller was good person and I feel confident she will get the right home.

I will keep looking, not in any rush! I really want to find the right one and I think it will all just feel right hopefully including a good PPE!

3 Likes

You can always revisit this decision. If you haven’t found a suitable horse yet in the two months since you started this thread, who knows, if you go back and take another look at that horse she might have fattened up enough to give you a better idea of her healthy personality and potential.

One thing that took forever to change in one of mine who was starved when I got her is her attitude toward food. I just realized recently that she no longer acts super anxious at meal time, and I’ve had her for years now. For the first several years, she would be right at the fence nickering and pacing when the hay was coming – in spite of the fact that she almost always still had hay left over from the previous meal. She still comes galloping when I arrive to feed their supplements mixed in with senior feed.

2 Likes

I’m thinking she sold but that is true. And ugh I can’t believe it’s been two months!! Although COVID, the holidays, a family emergency, and frigid temps certainly hasn’t made horse shopping easy. I do have one to see this weekend, with a trainer that I trust. He’s an easy keeper too!

3 Likes

I did exactly what @PeteyPie suggested, but in my case the order was backwards. In August 2019 I tried a very, very green 3 yr old TB mare who was in decent shape–gawky and awkward and knew nothing, but fun to ride. I passed because I REALLY did not want a young project.

Two months later, I hadn’t found what I wanted and went back to look at the mare again. This time she was in a bad state physically–awful feet, underweight, bloated belly, and totally out of work for several weeks. She was super sassy, but after a lunge we were able to get on and ride around quietly. Super impressed with her brain.

Had a PPE done and I warned the vet before she arrived that I was fully aware the horse was in poor condition. She did well enough on the PPE and I bought her. Since then she’s been a bit of a hard keeper–her weight fluctuates more than I’d like, she’s grown a TON, and she’s a bit immature physically and mentally–but she has been darn solid to ride, and a safe project to play with. Her personality/attitude is MUCH more related to her work load and turnout than it is to her weight/feed.

Just my experience.

1 Like

i’m usually a take-a-chance sort of person. I’ve had good luck rehabbing a few horses. Recently a 2 1/2 or 3 on body-scale has bloomed into a sweet as pie little ponymare. I’ve never felt i made the wrong choice taking in a stray yet. (welllllll…there was that one cat when i was in college). Dogs, cats, horses, sheep, a cow or two. I always get out of them way more then i have put into them. But, i’m really a softee…

1 Like

No, no, no. That is what your instinct tells you. You’re a softy who wants to help this horse, Yay!, but don’t do it. You already know she’s not right and you’re trying to talk yourself into her.

Back away, at your speed of choice.

edited to add yes good you’re passing.

1 Like