Unlimited access >

Buying an old trailer

I got a 1979 Hart trailer with brand new tires, floor and ramp for $1000. It’s not pretty, but is very safe and gets the job done. Keep an eye out on Facebook as well.

I’ve sold a couple of trailers for clients over the years. I’m always amazed at the prices I see on decent, similar type and quality trailers when I research pricing on them. There are deals to be had if you are willing to do the foot work, act fast, and know what to look for. A friend bought a really, really nice trailer (she had a much larger budget, but still not anywhere to what it would take to buy what she wanted new) for a song because she knew what she was looking at and was willing to do the leg work to find it.

All that being said, I was given a trailer by my old boss that is ancient. But, damn, it is the best towing trailer I have ever pulled (it was our kicking around, take a horse to the clinic type trailer, or a spare on the occasions we needed it). It isn’t fancy, it is really old (early to mid 80s) and is/was butt ugly. But even with a little neglect on it, it was still functional and safe had I actually NEEDED to haul someone in it. A family friend currently has it to restore for me, so we’re fixing all the minor issues that I had with it to make it a really nice little trailer to suit my personal needs (hauling one horse around to lessons and shows). Once it is done, it will be a fabulous little trailer. Not fancy by a long shot, but safe, functional, and will tow like a dream. There are BENEFITS to a heavier trailer. I HATE Sundowners and Featherlites because they are TOO light and tow fussily because of it. No, my little steel trailer isn’t super duper light, but it plants itself firmly on the road, stays where I ask it to stay, and gives the passengers a smooth ride. I’ll take a slightly higher MPG any day for all of that!

Good luck! You may not get out of trailer ownership cheaper, but the convenience (and peace of mind) of having a rig at your disposal 24/7 is really worth what you might not save.

OP, are you still planning on pulling this trailer with your station wagon?

You will not find a trailer in the sub-$1500 range that is suitable for towing with a station wagon, no.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7732832]

You will not find a trailer in the sub-$1500 range that is suitable for towing with a station wagon, no.[/QUOTE]

OK, I get it now.

Why would the OP want a cheap used trailer when she already has a newer one? The old ones aren’t going to be towed with a station wagon. They will be heavier and have fewer design features which would limit stress on the chassis, brakes and transmission. The question/intent doesn’tmake sense.

I call troll.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7732832]

You will not find a trailer in the sub-$1500 range that is suitable for towing with a station wagon, no.[/QUOTE]

I’m confused…then what is she towing the LQ trailer with?

[QUOTE=IPEsq;7737726]
I’m confused…then what is she towing the LQ trailer with?[/QUOTE]

I believe there are some fantasy land stories going on.