Unlimited access >

California Drought: New Barn Rule of Bucket Bathing Only Allowed

[QUOTE=Where’sMyWhite;8178143]
FWIW…

It doesn’t say “no turf”.

Reference:

http://xeriscape.sustainablesources.com/[/QUOTE]

No, IT doesn’t say no turf. I did. I wasn’t defining Xeriscape. I was clarifying that I have no grass because it requires water.

Washing a horse with shampoo is unnecessary and when cold gives them 24 hours to catch pneumonia as it takes away their natural grease.

Ummm What?!

That sounds like what I was taught back when I started around 1960. It’s not true. Modern shampoo is much less harsh then the old stuff, being cold does not cause pneumonia and not no way not no how any horse is “catching” pneumonia from shampoo causing them to get cold in midsummer out in Cali.

[QUOTE=aquabrwn;8175913]
I ride at a barn in Northern California and we also have a bucket rule in effect. Not all barns do - I think some wells are still pumping out water, while others have run dry - but while I definitely miss the luxury of using a hose, I can’t complain about conserving water given how bad the drought has become.[/QUOTE]

What is so scary about this (some barns not having conservation rules because their wells are still working well) is this is the time of year where they should be the MOST FULL.

Some people who aren’t familiar with the west coast might not realize that. While the rest of the country is preparing for a summer full of rain storms, California just FINISHED their “rainy season.” Those wells are the most full now that they will be all year. I’m scared to think what will happen in August/September.

Being from California, I really thought the drought was being exaggerated. All through my childhood it was always about conserving water and this water shortage or that water shortage. Almost every summer I remember that. But after visiting this May, I’ve changed my tune. This drought is different than anything I’ve ever seen.

I’m so grateful for people working hard to conserve. I fear that this could get really really bad if California doesn’t get some water soon.

I also worry that when the wild fires hit, with Santa Ana winds hampering any air support, we could really be in trouble particularly in the canyons dependent on wells.

Also, does anyone happen to know what it costs to truck in water? Just curious at what these ranches must be paying. I have heard of certain celebrity estates already paying $5000 for just two months worth of water.

[QUOTE=sorrelfilly721;8179437]
No, IT doesn’t say no turf. I did. I wasn’t defining Xeriscape. I was clarifying that I have no grass because it requires water.[/QUOTE]

Just didn’t want people walking away thinking Xeriscape means no turf. If you don’t choose to have turf, that is fine. I had a spot of turf for my dogs. It was well planned where and how large it would be to use the water it did get efficiently.

[QUOTE=Wonders12;8179804]
What is so scary about this (some barns not having conservation rules because their wells are still working well) is this is the time of year where they should be the MOST FULL.

Some people who aren’t familiar with the west coast might not realize that. While the rest of the country is preparing for a summer full of rain storms, California just FINISHED their “rainy season.” Those wells are the most full now that they will be all year. I’m scared to think what will happen in August/September.

Being from California, I really thought the drought was being exaggerated. All through my childhood it was always about conserving water and this water shortage or that water shortage. Almost every summer I remember that. But after visiting this May, I’ve changed my tune. This drought is different than anything I’ve ever seen.

I’m so grateful for people working hard to conserve. I fear that this could get really really bad if California doesn’t get some water soon.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is the end of our rainy season.

The drought situation is very regional as well. Everyone needs to be thoughtful of water. Some people are really in trouble, and some less so. But, there is no snowpack to carry us through this summer, so pretty much everyone can expect there to be trouble by October.

I live in a water-rich area but I never use shampoo on my horses - not even for shows. A bucket of plain water applied with a sponge to remove heavy sweat followed by a thorough grooming once dry is more than enough to maintain a healthy coat. I do this every day they are worked in the summer where temps can get well over 90. In the winter, horses can go without being hosed, sponged, or bathed for 4-6 months because it’s too cold and they are just fine. We body clip those who sweat heavily and do lots and lots of grooming. Your horses will be fine and your arms will get a great workout!! If their skin seems to get dry or irritated, I really like Epona’s After Exercise Rinse. You just mix it in with the water and leave it on - no need to rinse. Even my sensitive horses do well with it.

I used to be a die-hard hose user until I moved out to the ranch. The horses’ pasture is about 3/4 of a mile from the nearest hose. I bring a gallon jug of water with a little Vetrolin or green alcohol and witch hazel out with me when it’s hot. Instead of a sponge, though, I use a cactus cloth–gets right down to the skin and uses very little water. In fact, I usually have enough water left at the end to dump over the horse’s entire topline. It works really well and is sensitive TB approved.

ETA not unusual at all for summer temps in South Dakota to hit 100F+. So it doesn’t just get crazy cold here, it gets pretty hot.

The farm where I board here in CO flooded last night. Horses are fine (stalls did have to be stripped), but the INDOOR arena is totally under water. The storms have been really bad. Unprecedented amounts of rain (on top of snow melt this time of year)

I really like rain and having lots of lush growing things around but ugh I so wish we could give this to y’all in CA!!

Maybe it’s the fine red clay soil where I live but I don’t think I could get the deep down ground in dirt out of my gray TB’s coat (and his summer coat is super fine!) using just a curry/towel/sponge/ACV/etc. I can get him to look clean, but if you rub a towel over him after using all the elbow grease in the world, the towel comes away streaked pinkish-brown.

Maybe it’s because he applies the red-clay mud mask when it is wet as he rolls in a puddle. Then the top layer dries and flakes off leaving a fine layer buried deep down below on his skin where the curry comb can’t really do more than move some of it around. (If you’ve ever used a clay mask on your own skin you know how difficult it is to rinse off even when you rub).

The other day I curried, lathered, and then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed while using a sweat scraper and it took a VERY long time before no more brownish stuff came to the surface and the water ran clear. And even then after I rode him (yes, he was so covered in mud I bathed before I rode :yes:) there was a dirty sweat stain on his white saddle pad despite his squeaky clean appearance.

But, in the interest of science, time, water conservation and cleanliness, I am going to try some of the methods described above and see if something miraculous occurs. I’ll keep you posted.

Even in the CA summers I limit baths because I have found it not good for the hooves… Mostly sponge baths - no soap. If I do rinse at my old barn I would rinse on the grass turn out so I was watering as I rinsed :slight_smile:

Use of vacuum and good grooming works. Keep socks clipped for easy cleaning. You can use a soft brush and dip it in water, flick it a bit and brush. That takes dirt off too.

For sweaty horses in stalls if you can safely hook up solar powered fans? For the arena Fibar wood chips seem to help with the footing dust.

We recently purchased a 20 acre avocado farm - we are aware of the water shortage and high cost. Even when we weren’t in a shortage we have tried to conserve water. We have taken out many trees that were not producing food. We are designing water catch basins (for when we do get rain) to use on the orchard, removing older trees that are not productive. We recycle our gray water and use it on the orchard. It is a work in progress but it’s nice to know we are producing food for others. We also talk to our kids about water conservation. And if you look at my cars, you can tell we hope for a good rain to wash them… At our old house we used fake turf and it was really nice. As we continue to improve on our orchard we will create grass areas with the fake turf…

We recently went on a camping trip to the Kern river and it’s pretty clear we are in a very bad drought… all we can do is appreciate everything needs water to live and we must use wisely.

I almost never gave my horses a soapy bath, like maybe once in 10 years or something, so I don’t need anything more than a wet sponge or towel and a dry towel to help my horses cool down in the summer. I really don’t know why it would be such a big deal to not shampoo your horse and not be able to use the hose for a bath. My horses are all clean and shiny (well, except for right after they roll in the dirt or sand) with nice coats, we went to horse shows and didn’t embarrass ourselves with turnout . . . all without shampooing and hosing them down.

Me too!! My parents had a cistern well the entire time I lived at home, and just recently got “city water”. I was trying to explain this concept to DH a few days ago; every couple of days, my dad would literally put a giant tank in the back of the truck, drive to town, fill it at the municipal water thingamajig, and empty it into the well.

He was appalled that people had to do such a thing in modern times, but he said it explained why I could shower in record time. (I’m also a pro at “spit bathing” ponies. :wink: )

^^^ :slight_smile:

Yep - being “off city” on most things will make a conservationist.

We had spring water - but it was a trickle. Forget a hose on - there is a very good possibility that the tanks would drain, and you would be out of water for a good while.

We didn’t have “city” garbage pick up - had to haul it ourselves to town. Really made me recycle (free to drop off, vs. garage that had to be paid a fair bit for), and compost. Not to mention hauling the trash was a PTA - I managed to get us down to a 35 gallon can of garbage a month.

Also used to stay at a place with off grid power! When the solar is running low in the PM, and the batteries are getting drained - makes you think twice before flipping a switch for a light, or turning on a TV!

I think it would be WONDERFUL if everyone could spend at least a month “off the grid” and off of “city water” etc - makes you much more aware of consumption.

I am in SoCal and just got the vets orders to “cold hose” my mares leg for 20 minutes 3 times per day. I said, I can’t do that! and she said “why? do your wash racks have bad drainage?” Duh…no… the drought and me running the hose for an hour a day is not going to fly. I do have a good supply of quality ice boots, so I can do the icing instead. Just made me laugh. …off to ice I go!

^^wet the leg down before putting the ice boot or frozen peas or whatnot on. I think it helps to transmit the cold better through liquid water than through the air or limited solid to solid contact.

Thanks for all the good suggestions in this thread. I didn’t notice when it was first started, but since that time, the larger water tank at the ranch where my horse is boarded has failed and they are on a much smaller back-up tank until the large one can be replaced. The well is still refilling the tank okay and there’s plenty for the horses to drink, but – these past two weeks have been kids’ horse camps, and despite all the warnings to be very careful about water usage, a lot was wasted. I had planned to see about giving my mare a good bath tomorrow, but it looks like I’ll be bringing a 5 gallon bucket of water from home and trying one of the above recommendations to dose it up.

Speaking of water wasters, my immediate neighbors in the duplex where I live are driving me nuts! Cars are getting good long washings, patios and driveways are getting hosed off – just about every day! Hopefully my conservation efforts – which include not taking a shower on the days where I don’t have to teach in front of students (doing a combo of face-to-face and online teaching this summer) helps compensate for their excesses.

I am grateful that my barn uses reclaimed water to water the arena and landscape areas. This way potable water can be saved for drinking purposes.

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;8214302]
I am grateful that my barn uses reclaimed water to water the arena and landscape areas. This way potable water can be saved for drinking purposes.[/QUOTE]

How are they reclaiming the water? I’m curious as I was thinking about it here, where we are in a rare super dry summer, and I hate watching the water from my horses’ baths go down the drain. At least we can still bathe and not in the scary water short situation of you Californians, but I wouldn’t mind reusing the water if I could figure out how.