Unlimited access >

Calling all hoof experts... Would you buy?

In a situation such as this, ask the owner/seller to provide Xrays from the knee down on both front legs for your vet to view before booking any PPE … you’d still want to do all 4 legs before purchasing.

Buying a horse with not great feet out of a situation where horse has received appropriate footcare is very different than the same horse that has been left to “selfcare” his feet.

[QUOTE=SeeTheCityLights;7771480]
Funny thing is, grey is my least favorite! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Mine too! Too much work to keep them clean … And they just don’t shine the way bays do. A lot of people do seem to be partial to grays, though!

I didn’t think anything looked wrong with the horse’s pasterns, but I would not take the risk on a club foot in a young horse that has only been in light work. It would be another thing altogether in an old campaigner working sound for years despite the club foot.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a right front pastern/hoof aligned like that. It is absolutely bizarre. Glad you passed on him OP.

Honestly. You can not tell if he has a club foot without an X-ray.

The cracks wouldn’t bother me but his angles are pretty bad. If I like everything else, I would have my vet shoot some feet X-rays first thing. If the X-rays look ok other than fixing his angles then I would continue with the rest of the PPE. But I have a very good farrier.

[QUOTE=alto;7771853]

Buying a horse with not great feet out of a situation where horse has received appropriate footcare is very different than the same horse that has been left to “selfcare” his feet.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. To me he looks like he hasn’t had regular or good trimming. If the X-rays are not bad, I bet a decent farrier could have him turned around very fast.

I have an OTTB with some of the worse feet I’ve every seen. My farrier had him looking decent in two shoeings.