Unlimited access >

Calling all plus size equestrians!

I believe they’re separated because XL fits into “regular” sizing and 1X is the beginning of “plus” sizing.12/14 is considered Large; 16/18 is considered XL.
Plus sizes are proportioned differently: wider at the waist, deeper armholes, etc.
1X = 16/20 W; 2X = 20/22W; 3X = 22/24W

I’m intimately familiar with plus sizing. To show you how much it depends on personal conformation:
I wear a 3X or 4X on top, but pant legs flutter like a flag in the wind, were I to buy that size for bottoms.
BTW, looking at me in real life you wouldn’t see a freakishly weird body.

3 Likes

The lack of selection and particularly among higher quality items is particularly frustrating. I show in the hunters, I had a terrible time finding acceptable quality show clothes. Show breeches are particularly hard to come by - some very poor quality/too thin/poorly made, some only in a limited range of sizes. The SmartPak Hadley breeches have been a godsend for me. I agree with the post on the last page that a lot of the higher end brands are missing out on a segment of sales by not offering more sizes, we would even pay the premium that is often charged for the extra sizes. I’d love to have the range of options other riders have.

Show coats were also an issue. RJ Classics saved the day, but I basically had one coat to pick from. Thank goodness I genuinely liked the way it fit. They have of course discontinued that one and replaced it with something that doesn’t fit the same and has the sausage casing effect of some of the new thinner unlined coats! Fortunately while they were available I bought all 3 colors in the one I liked, because I know how this goes.

In show shirts, again the options are very limited, and in some of them the proportions are just so off - I had to have the sleeves massively cut down in one plus size option because you could have fit 3 arms in the sleeve of it with as wide as they made it! Thankfully I found that an XXL in the stretchy Noble Outfitters Allison shirt fit me well. So of course it now looks like that is discontinued as well.

In boots, I had to go custom. At 16-16.5 inches, the widest point of my calves are .25-.5 inches over what most off the rack boot brands consider the “XW” option. But, the few “plus size” calf options tended to be too big, especially in the ankle. My tack shop pulled out their catalogs and went through every sizing chart and could find nothing likely to fit me, so that told me all I needed to know. And ordering custom was a nightmare - expensive and time consuming because they made them wrong and it took months to get them to make it right.

There are so few options that I’ve learned that if I run across something that I like and it fits, I should immediately buy every color they have and stock up, because a) they don’t stock many in the larger sizes so they sell out b) no guarantee I will find another option when they sell out and I need something else and c) it seems like they inevitably get discontinued!! It is very frustrating - you have to shop in advance, and try to anticipate what you will need. And if a zipper breaks or something goes wrong at a show you had better already have backup with you because you can never buy something at the mobile tack store units, they won’t have extended sizes. It takes a lot more effort to find what you need, and sometimes it is simply not available even online because they sell out. It shouldn’t be this hard!!

6 Likes

I’m a 16/18 and very apple shaped. My arms and legs are normal sized and my torso very much isn’t. I don’t have a big problem with tall boots with a 9 foot and 16" calf.

For me I have problems with breeches and shirts. A lot of the plus size breeches cater to pear shapes which means that if it fits me in the waste it HANGS in the legs. I have found some luck with the SmartPak Pipers but I’d love more than one brand to shop from.

My issue with shirts is vanity sizing. I’m normally an XL in street size tops but in riding shirts the XXL or XXXL makes me look like a busted can of biscuits. Finding cute, form fitting, comfortable riding shirts is nearly impossible.

2 Likes

I always know I won’t get into trouble shopping at horse shows because none of the mobile tack shops have anything that fits!

8 Likes

I wanted to buy a dear friend a new pair of smooth leather half chaps. She wears a size 11 wide woman’s shoe with 19" calves. There is NOT ONE SINGLE brand that would ever fit her, even men’s cuz, yes, I tried them.

Thankfully I don’t show cuz I’d be in a world of hurt for a decent coat, shirt & breeches. I’m 5’6" but have a LONG torso… like add 1.5" to the bodice cuz otherwise I’m showing my groceries out the back. I want breeches that come over the ancient c-section tummy–not having a draft aft.

1 Like

I have 19 inch calves and I have a pair of these: http://www.perrisleather.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=92D40B8BFAE948E4918D3D7EA467132A

I think they are XL, but they might actually be 2XL. The leather is not smooth enough to look like tall boots, but it’s not suede. I’ve had them for years and beat the hell out of them…they are standing up to it well.

4 Likes

And that link there…yet another frustration…the size chart shows them available to 3XL, but try and order and both black and brown only go to 2XL…and that’s the manufacturers own site

4 Likes

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said. Even in western, it’s impossible to find clothes that fit if you are larger than a twig. FWIW-there are lots of us who are a size 14 or 16 or larger. A size 14 is NOT 3x! We like nice things. We have money! Stop trying to sell us men’s clothing because there aren’t any women’s clothes that fit correctly. If you have award jackets-size them for women not men. More women than men ride here in the US! Or offer both (Schneiders-hear me).

5 Likes

You can’t go wrong with Irideon Cadence breeches in white:
https://www.doversaddlery.com/irideon-cadence-stretch-cord-full-seat-riding-breeches/p/X1-35024A/

They go up to 3X and the corded fabric helps smooth out the leg. My only gripe is that the full seat is white too so a bit more trouble to keep clean.

I bought a pair of Kerrits full seat whites in XL last summer - they seemed to run big and they have a black seat. I really like the fabric too.

Also, just a general hint for everyone: Noel Asmar equestrian carries coats up to 2X. I bought a dressage coat from them a while back and found the proportions to be excellent. Worth a look!

1 Like

I was excited when I read that, but looking at the size chart, it lists 2x as 14-16, no use to me…unless there is more sizing elsewhere?

1 Like

Compare Asmar size chart with LLBean

Asmar:
https://www.asmarequestrian.com/pages/size-chart

LLBean:
https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ShowSizeChart?categoryId=32709&productId=447411&productListString=447345,1244314,447411

Asmar’s 14 is roughly an LLBean 18-20 if you go by measurements. I know my 2XL coat fit me at my heaviest like a 1X or larger, not a 14. Of course I got it on clearance for a screamin’ price, so I was willing to take a chance on it.

2 Likes

AMEN! :lol:

3 Likes

I’m glad it fit it fit you, love screaming clearance deals that fit…

BUT

Just looking at the chest measurements there…Asmar 2x =45"
LLBean 2x = 47.5" to 49.5"

Asmar according to that I would not even try, the Bean…maybe

2 Likes

It’s not even just plus sized clothing- it’s anything larger than a 16 year old with no hips. OK that might be a bit of an exaggeration but not much. Past size 10ish you are on your own.

I buy size 34R breeches. Just bought 2 pairs from Smartpak- Pikeur and Fits (mega sale!). The Fits would not come over my butt but the Pikeur looked pretty good. They’ll definitely fit once I’m a bit more active in the spring (ahem). Euroseat breeches aren’t great for women with a booty and thighs… they always seem to drag down on me even though they fit otherwise and when I try them on. It’s when I start walking about that they fall down.

Boots are a constant battle. I’m a size 6-7 depending on brand and my right calf is a 16.5". I got lucky and found a pair of 6.5 Xwide calf (16.5" calf) Ariats online and bought them without trying them on because I have a pair of size 6 wides (15 3/4 inch calf) that I had stretched quite a bit but were now cutting off circulation in my right leg.

The Kerrits shirts confuse me. I got a 1X short sleeve on sale and it’s a little too big but I don’t mind because I’m riding. Bought a long-sleeve version in an XL and it’s too small. Go figure.

3 Likes

I wasn’t being too clear - just trying to show that an Asmar 14 was the same as an 18 elsewhere. Not trying to compare 2X’s to 2X’s. I agree that the Bean 2X is sized bigger. But don’t be put off by 14 - take a look at measurements. Now if Asmar’s measurements for 14 still show a garment that’s too small, that’s another problem altogether.

Gah!

1 Like

I am right at the cusp of plus size, but since it was a long journey to get to where I am now, and because my shoe size will always be an issue, I will add below.

These have been my major issues:

• no store carries anything over 32 or L for the most part. Dover, Broken Horn to name a couple. Even if it’s a company like Dover who offers such sizes on their website. Even (in Broken Horn’s case) when you talk to management or try to special order sizes in, they say their catalogue does not offer those sizes (for brands/lines that DO go larger).
    You pretty much cannot find something unless it is ordered online, which really sucks if something doesn’t fit right and needs to be returned - you either need to be really smart about ordering numerous sizes, or be prepared for a lot of waiting around.
  • Maybe because they don’t offer larger sizes, when you go into these stores, there is a general feeling of being ostracized. They will not look at you or offer to help you or will take a long time to get to you, whereas smaller sized customers do not seem to have this problem. I went into Dover the other day and watched as three employees helped out two customers and completely ignored me as I wandered through the store trying to find my items for much longer than I should have. I get this regularly at tack stores - and I’m pretty sure it’s a size thing: I don’t fit the equestrian stereotype.
  • I have a pretty large shoe size, which by default forces me to purchase men’s sizes. Which again, most places don’t have a good selection for. And again, I am forced to purchase online. And again, this means there is always the risk of a bad fit or a long wait.
6 Likes

I’d be happy if I could find breeches that don’t show cellulite.

6 Likes

Ribbed breeches are your friend. My go-to is the TuffRiders in dark colors. I actually don’t hate myself in them, and that’s rare.

They run up to size 36, and bonus - you can find them for under $50, and sometimes under $40. Amazon has them for $35 right now in a good range of colors.

3 Likes

True confession time: On stretch jods, if I receive a pair, with a rise that is too low, I will unconsciously attempt to keep pulling them up to where I feel like they should belong. And when I put them back down to where the rise isn’t embarrassing, it just feels awful.

Let’s just say, I have sympathy for the “prancercise” lady… {sigh}

2 Likes

Clothing in general, of course boots for calf width. I have found breeches by Buckwild Breeches, https://www.buckwildbreeches.com/, discovered them at Land Rover Kentucky they are located in Virginia, they have full line of curvy breeches up to size 40, high waisted, they have white with black full seat and lots of fun prints, fit well and are comfortable, they have tops in plus size as well. Irideon has plus sizes, tops and the cadance breech.

1 Like