Unlimited access >

Cameras- inexpensive and easy for dummy to install and use!

You just add more stations :grin:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-many-orbi-mesh-points-do-you-need#:~:text=One%20Orbi%20router%20and%20Orbi,or%20around%20929%20square%20meters).

I have the router + three satellites. Two are in windows at opposite ends of the house, and one is in the barn.

Thatā€™s a bummer on the bridge components, I know that frustration all too well. I did find this WAY easy to set up, if he gets to the point of jumping ship!

Ohhhhhh, okay, thank you!! Will definitely look into this more.

I just bought a wad of stuff. Solar camera to watch the driveway and two buildings, a home security kit, plus an extra motion sensor and door sensor.

Last month it was a neighboring felon that was found on my property after fleeing the police who were here to pick him for a parole violation.

Last night it was another career criminal who shot a Bibb County officer in the head and another in the hip. He eluded the police overnight but was captured this morning. I live in a poorer, fairly rural area and my house is either scary because itā€™s tucked into the woods or looks like a haven for the same reason. I just want a little heads up and I will feel less exposed with a system.

Here is one of last nightā€™s shooting victims, he is returning a friendā€™s escaped pony a while back. The officer died this morning. A young, local father -

8 Likes

Installed the Eufy recently on a COTHer rec. Love it. Amazing resolution for $139. Day and night. Solar powered. And it has AI to detect ā€œhumanā€ so our dogs donā€™t activate it. Easy install. Does need Wifi. Doesnā€™t have to be solar just was easier for our location.

2 Likes

The Eufy looks great, if I had to do it again Iā€™d definitely consider it. I bought these; we have WiFi and electric in the barn and they were cheap.

Zmodo Outdoor Security Camera Wireless (2 Pack), 1080p Full HD Home Security Camera System, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, White (ZM-W0002-2) https://a.co/d/9LUr44S

I put them in stalls. If a spider builds a web across it it alerts all night (I silence them) but theyā€™ve been trouble free for almost 2 years (knock wood).

Well that didnā€™t work.

I have home internet via a Verzion jetpack mifi device. I connect everything via wifi to that mifi device.

The Eufy system requires you connect the home base with your router via ethernet cable. Hereā€™s the kickerā€¦I donā€™t HAVE a router.

Eufy tech says sorry get a router, Verizon says sorry buy a $200 router.

Can I just buy a cheap router?? I hate and love technology.

No all Eufy has a base station. I have a SoloCam S40 and it connects directly to WiFi.

But running any cam over a cell network is going to be limited to painful to impossible depending on what sort of speed youā€™re actually pulling.

I have the 5 piece home security kit plus one solar camera. So just one camera.

Check this out; ($45.99)

1 Like

Video takes a lot of bandwidth, more than cell networks often provide.

Most routers take the wired signal from a modem & broadcast it as WiFi and or split to multiple wired connections. Iā€™ve honestly never heard of a router that takes a wireless signal and allows you to access it wired, although it must exist if VZW is offering you a product. Specialty product, though.

I wouldnā€™t even consider trying to run video over cell unless over a solid 5G signal. Even thenā€¦I dunno.

Sounds like a bad fit for your connectivity type.

If you have internet, I used a cheap Wyze camera for foal watch. Great little camera. Good night vision.

1 Like

Well, itā€™s ONE camera, Iā€™m just trying this set up with a 30 day return policy.

Late to the party, but Iā€™m surprised Wyze cams havenā€™t been mentioned yet. Super budget cheap, yet great quality image. They have outdoor versions and you can pay a minimal fee for storage, or you can use an SD card.

They can be set to pick up motion and save a few seconds before and the entirety of the motion. There are a lot of other great flexible features too. We loved playing with long timelapse videos when we had our backyard landscaped etc.

You can order direct or through Amazon.

DH and I were just discussing the bridge vs. mesh thing again. From that link: ā€œOne Orbi router and Orbi satellite can cover up to 5,000 square feet (about 465 square meters). Should you need more space covered, you can connect up to three satellites to your router and cover nearly 10,000 square feet (or around 929 square meters).ā€

10,000 sq ft is less than a quarter acre. But your three satellites cover most of your 15 acres? Hmm.

Yeah, I have fab coverage. I just pulled up my town GIS map to see what sort of area Iā€™m in every day, all day, with very solid wifi, and itā€™s over five acres. Iā€™m not ALL over the property every day so Iā€™m not 100% on where exactly my signal drops off, but itā€™s significantly beyond my ā€œdaily travelā€ area (like, itā€™s rare Iā€™m wandering around out there and swap over to cell network, the only area I really see that happen is at either narrow end of our rectangularish property.)

The house is roughly in the middle, and on a rise. The router is in the middle of the house, and Iā€™ve got a satellite in upstairs windows on either end of the house. The barn is ~130 feet away from the corner of the house with clear line of sight and I have another satellite in the aisle. I have a camera ~450 feet away from that, with clear line of sight once out of the barn and it shows that it draws 3 (of 4) bars of connection. Coverage extends past that, but not another 200 feet to that edge of the property.

I donā€™t doubt at all that Iā€™m pushing the range of these things, and clear sight lines along with the house at the ā€œtopā€ probably helps. But it does work just so well here.

If you want to talk about more about this over PM Iā€™d be happy to share pics and layout and stuff, but there are a lot of weirdos on the internet, so donā€™t want to post pics of my house and stuff just for public review. :laughing: The measurements above should be pretty darn accurate, theyā€™re from the GIS tools, not just a swag.

1 Like

As mentioned above, Wyze, Arlo, Ring, and Eufy are all great options depending on your set up and needs. I have had Arlo for a long time, original cameras, so they are getting a bit dated and two of them no longer have sound for whatever reason.

However, I just dropped the coin for a Swann system, 12 cameras on a 16 channel system (meaning I can add four cameras later if I want) on a DVR plus app/mobile connection. I am a little paranoid and protective of my animals, so these are ALL going to be covering the barn and all paddocks plus my equip barn. This requires running conduit underground to some of them, including what Iā€™m going to dub The Eye in the Sky (three cameras on a pole for two pastures/arena/house coverage), everything else will attach to one of the barns in some fashion. Iā€™ll then move four of my five Arlos to the house, leaving one at the gate.

2 Likes

Oh, dont digress! Spill!

Thanks so much @Simkie, I might take you up on that if we decide to bail on the bridge! Our house is up on a rise with good line of sight to the barn and pasture too.

For people with Arlos, how responsive is your live view? We have an Arlo doorbell cam and when you try to view a live feed it can take 10-30 seconds to load, by which point whatever you want to see might be gone already. This happens even if weā€™re on the same Wi-Fi network as the camera and itā€™s pretty irritating. The motion-sensor recordings are nice but if you want to see whoā€™s at the doorbell live you usually canā€™t, and isnā€™t that kind of a key purpose of a doorbell cam?

Yep, same problem here with the Arlos. The Eufy is marginally better, but still not click and in.

To get really good responsiveness, I think you might have to go wired system and local storage. I really wanted that solutionā€“it was SO sexyā€“but it was also really costly.

I wouldnā€™t say that long, probably more like 2-10 seconds. It depends on the wifi strength where they are, so like the one over my garage door buffers for maybe a second whereas the ones in the barn or at the gate maybe a couple more. Remember if the camera is currently sensing motion and ā€œwritingā€ video to the Cloud, it will not respond as quickly.

I agree with @Simkie you will want wired to a DVR if you want something super fast (and even then, the same thing applies if itā€™s writing data at the same time you are requesting a live feed, but it will still be faster), but there is definitely a cost involved. Between the system, the extra wire to run out to the paddocks, a tall pole and conduit from Home Depot, and renting a ditch witch, I will be probably $1500 or so into getting this wired system up and running and thatā€™s not including labor if you canā€™t do some of it yourself.