Unlimited access >

Can a sport horse live outside?

I will go with the others to say it depends entirely on the horse. Some can, come can’t. As another poster noted, if he is competing at a higher level he will need to be kept fit, which means clipping and blanketing appropriately will make your life a heck of a lot easier.

Personally I like snow shoes/pads on them at it seems less treacherous for them but that may depend on where you live (we get a lot of snow then mild weather which makes for wet heavy snow and therefore packed hooves a frequent problem otherwise).

I used to be all about the “bubble wrap.” No turnout when any precipitation hit, blankets out the wazoo, boots on for turnout, etc. Now I’m total opposite thanks to the old, retired lady I board with. I’ve had two horses now out 24/7 FC hay and stall when needed. My current guy is 1000x’s happier, but can settle for stall time as he recently survived his first adventure overnight at a show and enjoyed the pampered life. He’s got a full gambit of Rambo blankets and is perfectly content and enjoys it. It’s like it’s his “me time!” He’s out by himself, but has buddies in the adjoining field. However…I agree, it depends on the horse. Let him tell you! I’ve found they are less stiff, more adapt to the weather changes, gut is happier and it helps with conditioning and maintaining since they are on the move all the time. My guy can be found laying down sunning himself in the summer and on bright winter days. That’s how I know he’s happy with the situation. He also gallops to me every time I got to get him…just like a Disney movie :smiley:

Every method of keeping horses comes with associated risks, and advantages. We pick the one that works best for us and our horses, the climate we live in, with the expectations and goals we have for them, workload and discipline, and accept the risks associated with our decisions. No decision is without risk.

Horses who live outdoors in a herd tend to have less colic problems, and less stress related issues and are moving and active all the time. Horses who live indoors, in stalls most of the time, with as much turn out in a paddock as is available, have less herd related injuries, kicks, bites. Which you choose for your horse is dependant on what you can provide, and what your horse needs/likes/wants.