Unlimited access >

Canter Lead "Issue"

Lunging with the saddle is no problem.
My plan was to have my trainer lunge me today, however, I am going to explore the saddle before any more undersaddle canter.

1 Like

This is classic SI and/or hocks to me. How old is the horse in question? How is his fitness and his topline? How is his trim on the hind feet?

Saddle could definitely be it. Teeth, too. I donā€™t really ā€œbelieveā€ in chiro for horses but I do have one come out, though she mostly does soft tissue releases. I mostly like that she makes me aware of my horsesā€™ asymmetries and tells me when there is changes. Itā€™s a good check point for conditioning.

4 Likes

My horse refused to canter under saddle on one lead (she would on longe) and it took a very long time to figure out the issue - ended up being a bone bruise on her coffin. She was at most a 1 on some small circle hard surface lameness tests with the third vet I askedā€¦.

Took a bunch of time off and she was fine.

2 Likes

(I should add, the theory my vet had was that my extra weight in the saddle was just too much for her to want to strike onto that sore front foot with the right lead)

3 Likes

Developing haunches in on the difficult side may help.
Does it make a difference to do walk to canter transitions?

Whatā€™s the exercise to correct it?

Itā€™s a matter of putting the lead hip of the rider forward which puts that leg at the girth.

To make it easy begin by trotting, then initiate a series of turns quickly done. So you trot, turn left. Trot on then turn right. Trot on turn left. Trot on turn right. Do a series of these. Then ask for the canter on the side thereā€™s an issue when you Trot and change that direction. The turns are quick ones, and are just either turn left or right depending on where there is room.

Remember, the outside hind leg is what begins the canter sequence if the correct lead is picked up. Think of what movements you can use to get more power to that outside hind. Perhaps some small circles asking for canter as you come out of the circle? Could you have a vet evaluate the left hind to see if thereā€™s an issue or some muscle atrophy that needs to be addressed?