Unlimited access >

Career change -> corporate America to working student?

I did it. Not corporate America, but a safe, comfortable government career.

It sucked. Cleaning stalls, one lesson a week on burnt out automatons, and lectures where I knew more than the teacher. Finances weren’t a problem, as I lived with a boyfriend and my horse was an easy-keeper in a friend’s field, but it wasn’t worth it.

I needed to be building a career where I could afford horses on MY terms, not cleaning stalls for free.

7 Likes

I agree with all of this.

First of all, I’d ask the OP if you have a specific position in mind. I’ve definitely seen a number of the big names hiring from time to time (and sometimes not filling those positions easily). But you also need to vet those positions thoroughly, using your contacts in the horse world. Sometimes, the bigger the name, the less riding you’ll end up doing. You also have to be honest about your own resume and skills. How much can you offer to the rider? The more you can offer, the more you’re likely to get back from the position (assuming you find an ethical and fair-minded employer). This is assuming that the rider (and the people you’re working with) aren’t nuts, of course, which can’t be assumed, even if the rider wins a lot.

It sounds like you work in an urban area with long commutes to the barn, high cost of living (and therefore riding) and you’re not sure you can save up enough money to stock it away to invest it in a riding career in the future.

You might be better off looking for a different job in a different area, or even just taking a break, taking a lower-stress, lower-paid job in your industry near a barn you like, and taking lessons or leasing a horse, and then looking for a higher paid full-time job when you mentally and physically recover a bit.

I have non-horse friends in the corporate world, and sometimes the lack of respect and misconceptions (or just rank prejudice) against people with horse-related stuff on their resume is insane. So I also agree being a working student won’t necessarily help your job prospects, unless you’re working in very specific fields (like veterinary medicine).

1 Like

I have been in corporate America since 2006; WFH since 2020 and for the foreseeable future due to autoimmune issues. I have always had time to ride since I started working, even before WFH.

How long is your commute? How many hours are you working a week? What type of role do you have? The corporate world can accommodate a lot of work/life balance issues with the right role/company. If you are pinched on commute or hours, I would definitely consider looking for other jobs that have the corporate salary/benefits perks that would be a better fit for why it is you can’t find the time before completely jumping ship.

2 Likes

Have you tried a different job? I’d be job hunting in your field before I decided to be a WS. Or, if you’re really not tied to your current career, go a different direction. But I don’t think I can recommend being a working student without hesitation.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! The context helps lots.

Again, it depends. Where are you in your riding and education now? Where do you want to be? What goal do you have for the WS position? Is it to add a BNT/R to your resume? Build connections to build your own barn? Just have fun?

I’ve done several WS positions. I would say all were not worth it. Only one afforded me ANY riding time that wasn’t on my own horse (which, IMO, is what most people need to improve their riding skills quickly - sitting on lots of different horses under guidance) and it was mostly “Go hack the schoolie that is rehabbing at the W/T” so not super helpful. Outside of the riding portion, having owned my own horse since I was a teen and coming from a non horsey family who couldn’t afford to put horse in a “program”, I’ve been HEAVILY involved in care since day 1. I didn’t need a WS job to teach me to wrap, what to feed and why, first aid care, how to trailer, set up at shows etc because I had learned on my own prior. Not everyone has that background or knowledge and that is where I think a WS job could maybe be beneficial. Like someone else said, the WS jobs I had didn’t teach me shit about how to make money, attract clients, or any part of the business side (likely because most barns aren’t run as a true business) but I am lucky enough to be in an MBA program learning that side of things (as well as coming out with a degree that will help me earn more at my corp job).

I found my riding improved SO much when I was riding multiple horses a day (typically different horses too). I was able to do that when working off board and helping train some greenies + riding horses at school (I went to William woods university). So my goal next year is to budget in for lessons on school horses and such in addition to riding my own.

I also think evaluating what is the limiting factor currently as to why you cannot ride is important. With no obligations and no horse of your own, I would think one lesson a week should be doable but understand that is highly dependent on COL and pay.

1 Like

Many top riders won’t give a year long job to someone who is clear that they have no intentions to either stay long term or develop a professional career.

When I was 18 I took a gap yar, and got a working travel visa to the UK. it allowed me to work half the time I was there.

I started with a position at Pippa Funnell’s. Awesome right? Nope. It was winter, she had only 2 horses in work, one of whom was in his 20s. I ended up doing some work for her husband William. I didn’t have lessons and was paid $100 for the month I was there. Pippa told me she’d keep me on, if I was committed to staying 5 years, as a head groom to get her through the next Olympics and 4 year cycle. I knew was going to University, so, I found another job at a large stable that had racehorses, point to pointers, field and show hunters.

I was paid well, rode 3-4 horses a day, and when I was done I traveled with the money I’d saved. Win-win.

10 Likes

I did the exact opposite: college -> WS then barn manager -> grad school/corporate america as an attorney.

I left horses as a career because it was clear to me I would never be able to compete, afford my own horse, or achieve my own goals in that career path. I was riding a ton, but so tired and burnt out that I started to resent having to sit on that last horse of the day.

In my current job as an attorney, I can afford a horse, I ride 4/5 days a week, and can show locally. As I get more established I’ll work towards carving out the time for 2-3 bigger shows a year. I will say a big part of what allows me to do this is living in a lower COL city/suburb that is very accessible for horses. I moved there from NYC, where I was not able to make riding or horse ownership work with my job at the time.

I would suggest exploring other corporate job options before throwing in the towel on it completely.

9 Likes

I’m of many opinions here. On one hand, if this is a lifelong dream…I’d go for it now while you can. On the other hand, I did the horse thing in various capacities for a year+. I didn’t have time or money. Now I have a decent non horsey salary and can afford to spoil and ride my horse. I rather enjoy it, even if I sometimes feel the pull of the horse professional I world. Sorry to be cliche but I still say follow your heart and just see how things work out. If you don’t try, you don’t know.

3 Likes

If I didn’t have a partner, mortgage, lots of critters I’m responsible for, a job that pays well, and mad anxiety around financial stability, I might go putz around as a WS for a year. But, I’d go into it making sure that I had enough saved that I wouldn’t come out of it in debt. I’d also give myself a hard stop to it - at least in my job, it only takes a 3mo maternity leave to put you back 1-2 years in results (and therefore$$$)

I don’t know that any good trainer is going to invest in a person who is, from the start, only up for a year’s worth of work with no desire to commit to more. There’s so little gain for them to give you good instruction or good horses to ride. I’d put you on horses needing boring fitness walks or hacks and phone in the lessons and put more effort into those zany enough to plan to STAY in horses.

I think you need to step back and really ask yourself what is going on.

You work in a corp job but have no money nor time for riding

what is eating your time? Are you putting in 10 - 12 hour days + commute time, if so you need to re-examine what your company is asking of you for insufficient compensation. Are you afraid of only doing a 40 hours work week? Are you being guilted in to thinking that if you dont do more you are a failure.? Are you performing in hope of gaining recognition or promotions, Has that happened?

You say you have no appreciable debt, only rent, so where is your money going? Really look at this. Are you dining out a lot, going and doing things that cost money like shopping, amusements, travel etc? Where is your money going that is taking it away from your desired life style (horses) . Have you looked at your job and the market. Are you being compensated on par with your peers at other companies?

You say you cannot afford the horse, Are you thinking you need a gold label horse experience and are unwilling to look at a more low key or modest situation?

Have you looked at your job in other areas of the country where your money goes further?

Are you prepared to take a year off and have funds enough to compensate for lost income and lost benefits? Do you have sufficient support if you get injured during a WS situation? Medical coverage Living expenses

are you prepared to face the what now of finding a new job when your WS experience is over?

does your job come with benefits like stock compensation and stock bonus? Consider this as part of your long term financial plan. DO you have a plan for 20 - 30 years in the future. Leaving a job like this can come with some financial gain or loss. Do you understand your compensation if your get stock. Do you have a financial planner helping with these details?

It sounds to me you are burned out in the wrong work situation and rather than seeking a new job or improving the situation and perspective of where you are, your are running back to a comfort zone of your younger years.

Is your company large enough that you have an HR person who can help your sort through your work life balance?

Personally I would not take of a year just to do the experience. I would examine my job and my approach to work. I would look hard at company work culture verses my work style. I would look at where I live and why. Is it as simple as moving to a location take cuts commute time , even if the community is not “all that” compared to where you are.

The twenties decade comes with some hard revelations about what it takes to have the life style we desire

16 Likes

It depends on what you are looking to achieve in that year off.

I took 6 months between graduating high school and going off to college. I had college lined up and I had NO intention of pursuing horses professionally. I saw it as 6 months to bring my riding to a “peak” – knowing that once I had a corporate job I wouldn’t have the time to do more than be middling in the sport.

I found a program that suited those needs and I threw my all into it. On my days off I sat in on my trainer’s lessons, just auditing. I rode any and all horses they offered to me (including the kids’ pony!). I observed everything, asked questions, and embraced long hours. I lived on cheap nasty food and a drafty bedroom with half-broken furniture. You can “survive” basically anything when it’s for a limited time and a light is at the end of the tunnel.

I learned A LOT. My riding improved A LOT. I also made lasting relationships (I was in a WS program with ~10 or so others). I 100% know that horses as a hobby is the right choice for me and have NEVER even for a second questioned the ‘road untaken’ within horses. I have zero regrets.

What it has not changed for me:

• I’m now mid-30s and over a decade out…most of the riding benefit has disappeared. My knowledge now far outstrips my capability (although one could argue that my “plateau-ed” riding stage is higher now then it would have been if I never did the WS stint)
  • I have limited money, time, and balancing a corporate job, family, horses, and the rest of life is a constant struggle

One outcome that I had not expected: The trainers I worked with are unbelievably high quality.I don’t mean “big name trainer” – I mean they are trainers to some of hte biggest name trainers in the world – which makes me MUCH less forgiving in working with the types of trainers that I now have the time and money to afford. I’ve worked with greatness…it’s really hard to now train with “fine”. But my current ambitions, capabilities, and wallet cannot afford greatness nor NEED greatness. It’s a constant internal struggle of desire / expectation and practicalism.

5 Likes

Yes and no. I wish I would have taken 2 years to go ride in Europe when I was young - maybe deferred college or law school after acceptance. I was told that the option would always be there for me in the future - but it’s really not. After law school I had student loans, rent, a serious boyfriend, a horse, etc. that made it wholly impractical to up and move. I also had career progression to worry about - it’s much harder to get back in after you leave, especially with non-consistent career experience in the interim.

That said, I’m convinced corporate America was the right path for me. I chose a law firm with a good location to ride, and have been able to ride 5/6 days a week since I started. I’ve bought myself nice horses, get excellent training daily, and am capable of being competitive at FEI level (dressage) when the stars align in my favor.

5 Likes

Oh my goodness I can so relate to this. Especially the part with it being hard to train with “fine.” Working at the top of the sport makes it hard to deal with the rest of it.

I think you were very smart at how you went about things. I wish I had that kind of vision in my youth. Instead, I was sure I was going to the Olympics, so I kind of threw all my eggs in the horse world basket, only to flounder around a lot when I realized that wasn’t what I wanted out of life.

3 Likes

I disagree. I think trainers with working students predominately fall into 2 categories: a) those who want to give you a learning experience to help you reach your goals, whatever they may be, and b) those who view working students as free labor and think they are doing you a great favor by allowing you to labor in their presence.

Either one is generally cool with a year commitment. But unfortunately there are too many of the latter flavor out there.

9 Likes

Four years out of college I also did not have the time or money to ride. I don’t think that’s uncommon.
Another four years after that, things had changed measurably for me.

You’re at an inflection point in your life where “reality” is setting in. You’re (likely) 26 years old, and I promise you, better balance does come in time.

I took a gap year before I went to college, and some time off during college, and realized I did not in fact want to be a mediocre professional (I work hard and I love it, but I’m also realistic about my own abilities). No matter how much you love horses and riding, being a pro is very hard work. It really sucked not having horses in my life for 10 years, and I missed it every day. But I wanted to wait until I was secure enough in my career/relationship/life before picking it up again.

4 Likes

I actually do agree with you, and I wrote my entry as a possibly clumsy effort to get the OPs attention; She needs to have better goals to express in the job interview than just ‘I miss riding horses and I can’t afford it right now.’ If that set of goals presents then I would foresee a lot of boring hacking (if you think that’s boring and dull) and little in the way of real attention from the trainer.

If you present with “Well, I can’t afford my own horse right now and I really want to invest in my horse skills in these areas ______, ____ and _____. I am looking for a WS position where I can work on these by taking a dedicated year to 18 months to really grow my skillset before I go back to the corporate world. How does that fit into your program? I would love to see if my background fits a need you have and maybe there’s a fit here.” Now that should be a better start - at least I think so :wink:

4 Likes

Ah, I totally understand what you are saying and agree.

It’s easy to be taken advantage of as a working student, so you are so right that you need to be clear about your goals with both your trainer and yourself.

2 Likes

I say go for it as long as you have good health insurance, can fund the adventure, and ride well enough/have solid contacts to get into a decent program rather than one where you’ll be taken advantage of. Europe sounds good… and then if people ask about a resume gap you just say you took a year to travel.

This kind of thing is what your 20s are for, really. I took a gap year in college to basically work at a restaurant and do yoga. After college I spent a long time working retail and started riding again at 25 or 26. I wish I had been more looped into horses in those years because I now regret not doing a working student stint… but I had zero connections and would have ended up in a crappy situation, I’m sure. I’m 31 now and have a nice corporate WFH job, nice life, nice horse, etc. Go do it while you can!

1 Like

I think both of you make good points, although I often see trainers looking for working students pointing to the fact that “X was once my working student and is now riding at Y level.” I don’t know if it’s a big selling point, but I would imagine it’s easier to get better people to work for you if you have a proven pipeline to upper level success. If most of your working students leave professional horses, even if it’s not your fault as a trainer, it might not look great for the program.

Of course, competence is the most important thing and having a needed skill set, but I can see a pro being wary of someone just doing it for fun, versus taking someone in who was really gunning for a career in horses. Cynically, I also think someone with the mentality of “all I know and want to do is horses” is also easier to have emotional leverage over versus “I’ve worked in corporate America and if you deny me a lunch or pee break for 12 hours straight, seven days a week, I’m gonna walk.”

3 Likes