Unlimited access >

Cat and Meds -- A Vent

Later …
We had a serious struggle tonight. She would NOT take the med in the licky treat. Not from the plate, not from my finger, not from the syringe.
Not from her own paw; she was so upset by the time I put some there she didn’t even notice me doing it.
She practically roared at me, in a tone of voice I’ve never heard her use before. I wanted to kick myself. I was terrified she would start to hate me. She fluffed her tail out too, which she does when she is very upset or scared.
I’m not gonna do this to her again. Come morning I will call the vet and ask for other forms of the laxative and order the chewy Cosequin treats.
This is the cat who sits fairly calmly on the kitchen counter for her monthly subcu Adequan injection.
Now she is taking a bath in my lap. Thank goodness she doesn’t hate me.
I just hope she won’t be constipated or achy in the morning.
Sigh.

1 Like

Can you get her meds in pill form? I had an impossible time giving my cat liquid meds, so I exclusively used pills or injections. I found pills were much easier to give than liquid meds.

2 Likes

@Rackonteur, if all else fails, ask the vet if the medication can be compounded into a cream or ointment that you can rub into her ear. I had to do that with my cat’s thyroid medication. She would NOT take the pills in any way, shape, or form.

1 Like

This:

6 Likes

Is it just the Cosequin and Miralax you’re giving? Hopefully the Cosequin chew that Beowulf mentioned will work. How much Miralax do you give? Maybe you can dose it in a small suspension of water (no real taste) or maybe even use something like kitten milk from Wiskas kitten milk?

I have to dose one of my kitties with prednisolone and maropitant (dealing the small cell lymphoma, he also gets chlorambucil. The steroid and maropitant are both compounded in a liquid form. I make up a blank dose with some kitten milk so that the first dose of whatever isn’t bad, dose with the med and then follow up with another blank dose of something tasty. I recently have been able to dose before and after with Churu lick treat sticks (he used to refuse them). He also gets cookies before and after as well.

I’ve also started syringing yummy things (no meds) to my other kitty who is typically more difficult than my other guy. Lol she was NOT thrilled about getting a syringe but now she’s good with it. Figured, might as well start now before I have to do it for medical reasons.
A pic from this morning… kids are in position waiting for their syringes.

2 Likes

Awww… She was just letting you know all that fuss is not acceptable from The Help :pouting_cat:
She still loves you :heart_eyes_cat:

:woman_shrugging: I have no med-giving advice, hope the chewable treat works & for the other the transdermal suggested​:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

You could try mixing the powder into a little ball of butter or yummy soft cheese (like Brie), if she likes those.

I also second @Larbear’s suggestion to regularly give yummy things, without meds, from the syringe, so she has good associations with it if you do need to use it for a medication. Hopefully.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will ask the vet about that today.
Thankfully Velvet actually ate some of the Miralax this morning, mixed with a different lickable treat. Tiki Cat, which of course she would not touch the last time I tried it!

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you so much! I needed this this morning!

1 Like

Wow, good kids! Velvet’s position for her syringes would be her back half dodging into the closet! lol

Thank you for the idea about the kitten milk. I think I will try that (hopefully my neighbor still has some left over and it is still in date).

I have some Inaba Churu on order; I’ve been alternating it with the Temptations Purrrree but ran out of the Inaba several days ago.

This morning she got most of the Miralax in the Tiki Cat licky treat that she lapped right up. I give her 1/8 tsp of Miralax twice a day.

1 Like

I did have to force the Churu into Noel initially… he wasn’t sold on it at first, of course Fry was :smile:

Noel has decided he does like it so if I ‘prime’ him first with a couple of mouthfuls of that, he tolerates the maropitant which is apparently pretty bitter. I had it flavoured marshmallow on the recommendation of my vet. Though cats can’t taste sweet, she said it helps to mask bitter tastes.

I give each of the cookies before I start anything. I have a vest that I put on and stuff the pockets with cookies. As soon as I grab the vest they perk up and come running and vet into position :smile:

2 Likes

I feel your pain. I could not pill my old cats. One of them I could barely pick up. When I absolutely had to, I think I got a syringe down Spooky’s little throat three days tops. After that she just avoided me.

When they went downhill, there was a bit of a come to Jesus with myself. What was more important, getting whatever substance into them or letting them enjoy what time they had left. I did moderate extreme measures for about a year with Spooky. Lucy lasted another year, but she was always easier to work with.

1 Like

Cool.
I wish I could tell my kitty about your kitties. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am kind of thinking that way myself, about my 17yo. But if she doesn’t get the laxative she gets horribly constipated and then nauseated and seems even more miserable than she seems resisting the meds.
Sigh.

1 Like

If you haven’t tried it, fortiflora sprinkled on wet food is like kitty crack. My old Maine coon used to get 3x the normal miralax dose, some fiber powder and cosequin on his wet food. Mostly he had no issues, but if he did just a bit of fortiflora fixed the problem. Same thing with ruty, who gets Prozac. Not even a whole packet, just a bit

2 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for the info.
One of my nephew kitties gets fortiflora on his food but he tends towards the very opposite of constipation.

How much prozac do you give your kitty? I have asked our vet about it for my kitty – still don’t know if she didn’t hear me or was politely ignoring my question …
I will ask it again at some point, I imagine.

1 Like

2.5 mg give or take, it’s a 10mg capsule and I split it into 4 doses. I feel a little like I’m getting good at doing a line of coke when I break open a capsule, but it works. I started with splitting it into 3 doses them backed down. Poor Ruty doesn’t speak “cat” very well so he doesn’t play well with the resident cats. He is relentlessly insecure about his territory from random outside cats and helps me know that with non stop vocalizing and territorial marking. Fun stuff. After years of feliway and trying to find ways to make him feel secure I gave up the day he walked up to me and sprayed on some mailers I had tossed on floor while I was mailing out year end ribbons. Thankfully they were empty extras. Gotta say, Prozac makes us BOTH a lot happier!

2 Likes

Thank you. I take 20mg myself once a day. I will definitely ask the vet again.

Sometimes I wonder what the maintenance man would think if he went into my kitchen and saw the white powder I’d spilled on the countertop that day lol. (Hopefully he wouldn’t sample too much of it!)

Ruty is blessed to have you.

1 Like

Good news! This morning I mixed her Miralax in a little of the juice from one of her favorite foods and she lapped it all up! I was thrilled. Usually when I do this she turns up her nose and stalks away.
I am going to try it again tonight – this time with Miralax AND Cosequin.
If that doesn’t work, I’m breaking out the ice cream.

6 Likes

Great! It’s such a huge relief when they make things easier :smile:

I had to give Noel his chlorambucil last night and was extremely grateful and relieved he ate it in his nighttime snack. He had gone off his food for a bit (think it was pancreatitis) so I’ve had to try and pill him the last two times. Huge huge relief last night after I saw a spotless plate. Lol the little things in life :grin:

2 Likes