Unlimited access >

Cat - bad news at vet

ladybugsbw…{{{{HUGS}}}}

I am at the same place :cry:. I have a geriatric cat that I thought was constipated. Belly is full of fluid. None of the causes of ascites have a decent prognosis. Lab work was unremarkable. Preliminary cytology on the fluid has no answers. Waiting on further testing of the fluid. Best guesses are heart failure or a tumor pressing on the vena cava. The X-ray was pretty useless because of all the fluid. So that leaves an echo of his heart and a belly ultrasound. Just the blood work, X-ray and cytology was 1K. I am going to do some more reading on heart failure but it might just be time?
The biggest problem is that he isn’t eating much due to all the fluid…he is full all the time poor buddy. He doesn’t seem painful but yeah…going under the bed to hide. Crap. This will be my second one in 8 months.

Anyway…it is sure hard but it is the best we can do for them. Jingles for a peaceful passing for your girl.

Susan

Im so sorry about your sweet kitty! It is just so hard when there aren’t firm answers and the decision is not easy to make!! Sending hugs!

I’m so sorry about your kitty - ask your vet about a diuretic. It may not work long term, but it may reduce the fluids enough that he feels better.

Yes, I am not even sure we can manage that. Today he is firmly hidden under the bed. I don’t think he has eaten two tablespoons of food in the last 3 days. Mirtazipine didn’t do anything. I had some Cerenia (from last sick kitty) and out of desperation gave him a dose of that late morning but so far, no effect. I am thinking today may be the day with the holiday weekend coming. He is still drinking but his hair is starting to stand up so I think he is getting dehydrated (despite a belly full of fluid). I am going to call the vet but I am not sure there is too much more we can do.

Susan

2 Likes

Man, I’m so sorry. It does sound like he might be near the end. Diuretics only kept my Beth going a few weeks longer (about 6 weeks), but when they helped, they did help. But with the long weekend coming up, I totally understand. My greatest fear is having someone crash, and not having access to my vet.

I’m so sorry.

1 Like

How are you @Kyrabee?

1 Like

I am fine. Missing Mr. Oscar but knowing it was the right thing to do. So many of the old age things come on so insidiously. As I told the vet…I know how sick he is but he looked so damned good. That wouldn’t have continued.

I have an appointment at one of the local cat rescues next Tuesday to find another companion.
I don’t like being pet-less.

Susan

8 Likes

So sorry again, it does feel so empty when you lose one. Thank you for providing a needy kitty with loving home! We are doing the same. It only seems fair, when a spot opens up, there are just too many needing homes to not fill it.
Good luck finding your next kitty… I am sure you will find one that speaks to you, and if not, keep looking around until you do!

3 Likes

Yes ladybugsbw. I have a couple young adult girls I want to look at if they are still there. I really only want one. My 92 yo Mom lives with me and I think a kitten is a bit too much energy. Not to mention Mom is really a dog person. You really need (at least😉) two kittens to keep each other occupied some of the time and I don’t think I have that much energy.

I would have gone this week but am preparing for a yard sale :grimacing:. Not a great environment for a new cat. Some sweet feline will be ready to come home with me next week.

I hope you have success in your search.
Susan

3 Likes