Unlimited access >

Cat has severe kidney failure - treatment options?

I only asked because I just went through this with my 18 year old kitty. I knew he wasn’t well. He started coming to me crying. Took him in and his kidney values went off the actual scales. I asked my vet why did it happen so quick and he said it didn’t and that it is just progressive and eventually the body can’t handle it anymore. I am sorry you are going thru this. :cry:

1 Like

The vet didn’t mention re-checking the bloodwork, but I think I am going to take him to another vet clinic and have that done. Then I can see if the numbers change and I can test out another vet and get their opinion. There are some things I like about my vet and I think he’s fine for simple things, but maybe not for more complex things. He didn’t do a urinalysis along with the bloodwork when I took Dewey in. I also asked if there was any medication I could give him that would help with the kidney failure. The vet said no and just recommended fluids. The fluids are definitely helpful, but I think he should have mentioned something for nausea or to stimulate his appetite.

Thank you for this (treating the cat, not the numbers). It’s a good thing for me to keep in mind. So far, Dewey is doing OK. The fluids have helped. Sometimes he is more lethargic and he seems like he’s “off” but other times he seems pretty close to his old self and he does his usual things like smelling the other cats and sitting by the sliding glass door to watch what’s going on outside. He still jumps up onto the couch and sits with me like usual, he greets me when I get home from work, etc. He’s not eating as much as I’d like, but he is eating (he has never been a big eater).

I am so grateful for all the information and support I have gotten here. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s unfortunate that I have had to learn about giving fluids, but it’s a good skill to have since I have 4 other cats. If this comes up again with another cat, I’ll be much better prepared.

I’m just taking it one day at a time and seeing how he is each day and enjoying every day I have with him.

4 Likes

I’m glad he’s doing better :slight_smile:

When you get a re-check ask for a copy of his blood work and check out the website I linked earlier. At one point I put Thomas on phosphorus binders when that was out of whack. As far as other meds, I don’t believe that apart from rx food, there is much to give them for kidney failure. Just good nourishment, fluids and a lot of pampering.

Our cat lived for another 3 years (of good quality of life) after being diagnosed. We got home from a short weekend away and he had totally crashed with acute kidney failure. Was in the hospital for 3 days but pulled through. I was given subQ fluids to have on hand at home. We also fed him a special kidney diet - made his poop smell horrible but better than not having our cat.

Good luck with your guy.

Oh my goodness the K/D was terrible for the poop!! Such a stink!

Mine won’t eat the canned, only the dry so they’re getting other canned and a little dry occasionally. .

I got K/D dry food for Dewey last Friday. He has always been a picky eater (has always preferred dry food) so I didn’t expect him to like it but I was pleased with how well he ate it over the weekend. I hope he keeps liking it. I have heard it’s pretty high calorie. Dewey has soft muscle tone, but he’s not at the point where he’s getting really thin. Should I not let my other cats eat the K/D food?

Has anyone tried a raw diet or raw cat food with their kidney failure kitties? I wonder if that would be helpful or if the main thing is just to keep them eating and it doesn’t really matter what they eat.

Phosphorus level is important for kidney failure kitties, and that would be very hard to guarantee with a raw diet. It can probably be done, but with care.

Glad Dewey is liking the K/D! That’s great news. Your other kitties are fine to eat it too :slight_smile:

I will swear that raw kept my kidney failure cat going for at least a year without any other interventions. He probably came to me that way at 15-ish and had other pain management issues that did him in sooner than the kidneys. His values were at the upper range but stayed consistent until the end. I think his replacement, another senior, is heading down this path now. :frowning_face:

It’s easy and won’t hurt anything to try giving Dewey an ounce of chicken or turkey thigh (or heart!) once a day and work up to a more balanced diet if he likes it. Those part have the most taurine.

1 Like

I am very interested in your suggestion about the chicken or turkey thigh. Are you saying serve these raw? I have a cat who has one functioning kidney and keeps getting pyelonephritis and while I have found something that she will eat consistently, I would like to improve her diet.

Yes, regular grocery store raw poultry that has been rinsed just before serving. Make sure there are no additives like broth or sodium and the meat is fresh. Cut into strips about the size of your middle finger and see if kitty will take it from your hand or on a plate. I don’t feed kibble but have always heard the digestion rate is very different so you should never feed kibble and raw in the same 8-12 hour timeframe, but I don’t think it would hurt in tiny amounts. Canned and raw are fine together.

FYI – Grocery store ground meat is NOT safe to feed raw but foods made specifically for pets ARE because they are frozen immediately after processing. I’m also not recommending this to replace a commercial or balanced raw diet, but as a snack or interim step.

I will have to try that. Thank you. And I did not know about the kibble thing.

Thanks for the information! I’ll get some raw poultry from the grocery store and see how it goes. I suspect Dewey won’t like it, but I’ll give it a try. He has always preferred dry food over anything else. When I give my other cats canned cat food or something like canned tuna, he usually just licks it or only eats a couple of bites.

I got him a bag of Science Diet k/d (dry food) and he seems to like it. Giving him the subQ fluids is going fine. I placed my first order for the fluids and drip lines from Chewy and it will arrive this week. Chewy was out of the needles I wanted so I got some at Tractor Supply.

1 Like

How’s Dewey doing?

He’s hanging in there pretty well. He’s snuggled up with me on the couch right now. He’s eating his k/d food and he tells me when he wants his Temptations treats. Daily fluids are going fine. That’s all I’m doing. I have Pepcid and a nausea medicine the vet gave me but I don’t think he needs them since he’s eating without them.

I have an appointment to get his bloodwork re-done on Dec. 28. Some days he seems pretty much like his usual self. Other days he seems kinda off. The other night, he kept going back and forth between the couch and the rug on the den floor. It seemed like he couldn’t really settle and get comfortable. But he has been better the last couple of days.

Thanks for asking about him! :heart: How’s Sammy?

1 Like

He’s doing great right now! He’s eating, playing a little and doing his normal stuff. Right now he’s asleep under my chin. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad Dewey is hanging in there and wanting his treats. Treats are a good barometer of kitty well being. Lol

The other kitties know the sound of the treat bag! I usually have at least 2 additional cats that come wanting treats too. :roll_eyes: :laughing:

I’m so glad Sammy is doing well! Does he have to take any medicine?

Trying to post a picture of Dewey so you all can see him. I took this picture last weekend.

8 Likes

He’s beautiful! I hope he is feeling a bit more chipper.

1 Like

Dewey is gorgeous…best wishes for both of you.

1 Like