Unlimited access >

Cats and Christmas trees

That’s amazing lol

Found this on TikTok. Apparently I’m not the only person with a cat who climbs drying racks.

1 Like

I gave up on having the Christmas tree in the house and put it outside the window and pull the blinds all the way up. I can still enjoy the lights without my cats destroying it. I had one cat with Pica who would try to eat it. My new kittens are into everything so I think the tree will stay outside again this year.

I bought a tree at a plant sale- no idea what kind it is, but it looks like the perfect Christmas tree. Unfortunately I planted it at the bottom of the hill, and i really regret not putting it next to the house. It looks perfect but I refuse to cut it down for Christmas either… It was 12 inches tall and weedy looking- I didn’t think it would become such a perfect specimen. My plan is to get it properly identified and find 2 more to put one on each side of the house.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Here’s Brio today having a peaceful snooze on the rumpled and rolled-up tree skirt with a strand of tinsel dangling to the floor in the background. Doesn’t he look innocent?

6 Likes

The “wind” probably knocked that tinsel down, not the kitty!

1 Like

And be careful with tinsel. Our cats used to try to eat it and vet told us not to put it on the tree.

1 Like

We have a local shop called “The Cat’s Meow”. It’s primarily art and framing but they sell a bunch of other things like pottery. And catnip mice. Arnold is the new shop cat.

Rats it didn’t show an image preview. Maybe this will? [edit: nope] FINE I will just attach it.

7 Likes

Hmmm, the clothes pins are a good idea. I might try that if I could ever leave the tree unattended for 5 seconds! Duncan and Baler are fascinated and keep trying to nibble bits off.

This is what I found this morning. I did not set this shot up. You have to wonder what goes on around the house while the people sleep.

8 Likes

Has the skirt been peed on or barfed on yet? :rofl:

Nope, just rolled upon. It is very nicely thick and plush, and they like it. I made it about 20 years ago as a craft project, one of those things that seemed neat from the picture on the pattern, but I remember being SO glad to hit the end of that round. There is only so long that you can work with simply four colors portraying only one thing before getting tired of it. It turned out well, but that’s a LOT of holly leaves to work around. And the white was worse than that, because it was, of course, just blank. I love crafts, but this was one of the more tedious things I’ve made as far as the process of it goes.

4 Likes

And of course you made it just for him. Didn’t you? :grinning:

He thinks so.

It’s much older than he is, but I’ll admit that the thought of cats posing on it was in my mind during making it. Here’s Tenuto on it about 10 years ago.

Tenuto on Tree Skirt

6 Likes

oh yes, that looks like a very plush, soft circular cat bed. I bet they feel the love that you put into making it :slight_smile:

I gave up on tree skirts - they just become hidey-forts for pop out attacks or slidey fun sleds on the hardwood floors.

Our tree has been up for 2 weeks, and even with 4 cats (age 15y, 12y, 3y and 9mo) only 2 needle-induced pukes! 0 broken ornaments and 2 ornaments on the ground. Fingers crossed the good luck holds up. The older kitties don’t give a fig, the two youths play with the tree a little bit, but even the kitten is very good about keeping her curiosity on the mild side. Her interest only goes as far as softly batting the plastic ornaments and drinking the tree water. Toy mice are much more fun.

2 Likes