Cervical OA and Basket Surgery (cervical interbody fusion) experience

hi. great report. things start moving along after 4 mos. One thing I do w my horse which helps strengthen his back and topline - I back him in hand, briskly, head down for 4 x around the arena before every ride. we are at 9 mos and I had most amazing lesson today. my guy did leg yields and he took really big lateral steps, something he never pulled off before. it felt amazing.

3 Likes

I don’t think she’s there yet. She can back but not super straight and definitely not for that long. Right now we’re working on getting her head down to ground level to graze (she prefers muzzle height) and her lateral stretches. We’re going to continue pole work and add in the EquiCore bands.

3 Likes

we didn’t restart backing until 7 or 8 mos. for the longest time my guy ate only tall weeds, now he goes to ground level, but he still grazes in a funky position. right leg way forward, left leg underneath him. they told me at nbc they’ve had some horses who didn’t graze normally for 2 yrs.

1 Like

I know it’s a loaded question, but would anyone care to share the cost of the procedure itself? Feel free to PM if that is preferred. I realize rehab and all the aftercare is something else entirely. A friend’s young horse was just retired with severe OA and euthanasia has been on the table, though neither of us feel like he’s there yet. I was unaware of this procedure. I don’t know if he would be a candidate because he has bone spurs. But it’s worth exploring.

@BroncoMo I’m sure there is some variation but: when my horse was diagnosed in early November I was told that basket surgery would run around $15k including the cost of bringing in Dr Grant (see RoseBud’s posts). They ALSO said that my horse would need a second surgical procedure called a foraminotomy, which opens the space where the nerve roots are. No quote on that part…
This evaluation and quote from Ocala Equine Clinic. I opted not to do surgery, as noted in earllier post.

Rose’s CT myelogram, infectious disease testing, surgery, and hospital stay was about 20k. Her insurance paid for half; they would have paid for more (I have 15k major medical) but I had used some already for her gastric ulcer diagnosis and treatment.

1 Like

I forgot the CT myelogram which I did. It was around $4k. And edited to add: if owner is not able to be diligent on the rehab, the one rehab facility I’m familiar with charges $3k per month. Guessing others are similar?

1 Like

ct and myelogram 5k. every time I consulted w neuro team was 1k ( they usually did followup rads also )
surgery itself w/ 7 day hosp stay 15000. 23k all together. they fused two sites and it’s less expensive for one site

2 Likes

Oh my. Thank you all for sharing. I’m certain that is well out of the question for this particular horse. But it was certainly worth exploring.

2 Likes

@BroncoMo It is a very expensive fix, and the probability of the horse returning to its prior potential or showing level is dependent on a number of things. The lower the neuro rating, the better the odds. In my case there were a couple of complicating factors, and I was actually planning to put the horse up for sale. It was highly unlikely he would return to upper levels of dressage, and he would almost certainly not be a sales prospect with the hardware in place. Even if the latter was not a question, I still would not be able to send him down the road for fear of a bad ending. So I retired him and he is on a low dose steroid to keep his inflammation down. When that no longer makes him comfortable, of if he gets some type of major side effects, I will make the big decision

This is all such great news as my 6 yr old Westphalian gelding just last week had the
Plate/ Screws/ and 1 spacer surgery on his C6-7 here in Southern California!.. He is doing amazing so far in recovery and at day 6 was moved to a Rehab Facility. He was a grade 1 1/2 neurologic with a strange flipping of his head to the left when in turn out and on the lunge, intermittent lameness left front foot also. I did all the things right prior to the diagnosis, had teeth done, had massage, xrays of feet, chiro, bit fitting, and would not find what it really was till my local Vet did neck xrays. There it was. Thankfully I had him insured for 10K, and my vet recommended going to San Luis Reyes in So. California for the Ct/ Myelogram as UC Davis - my nearest surgical center- was not able to do it. This all started in January and so in March 3 weeks ago we trekked down to the Clinic and test showed exactly as my UCD vets said. C6-7. I am hopeful in hearing the others success stories and this is my dream horse, he’s so personable and fun to ride and just be around. We were just starting our Dressage career together when I noticed this. After surgery the Vet who performed the surgery said he is so please and So far so good. I know we have a long road to recovery but I have acreage and my horses are at home with a stall on large pastures. So far my Bill for the CT Myelogram And the Surgery with 1 plate/screws/spacer is $18,000. He is one of very few in the US doing this surgery as it is new and now the preferred method over the Basket surgery.

4 Likes

My horse had the same surgery w the locking plates; 2 sites were fused. He was also a 1.5 on neuro scale. At 6 mos his score dropped to 1, and the expectation is the score will continue to decrease. It’s a long, grueling rehab which I did myself. He is doing quite well now. He’s able to take big lateral steps, which was an issue before, no longer fussy in the bridle and he is much more relaxed under saddle. He’s moving better and seems happier-much more social with his herd than he was before surgery. His neck is stiff, to be expected w fusion. I’m thrilled.

4 Likes

6 month update! Rose is doing very well. Her mobility has increased significantly over the past month or so - she is cleaning up hay that falls to the floor and is nearly able to graze. Lateral movement of the neck has improved but still quite stiff. She has started to put muscle on her neck as well. She continues to be lunged twice a week (walk/trot/canter) and is ridden 2-3 times weekly. We’re up to walking 20-25 minutes, doing lateral work/backing up, and walking over poles. We can start trotting next week! Overall she seems very comfortable and happy, and I’m really pleased with her progress.

9 Likes

HI, question as to when you were allowed to bring your horse home after surgery?. My gelding had surgery on April 4, after a week was moved to nearby Rehab and they have given me a window of 30-90 days there. He is still on strict stall rest, but as I have a stall at home for him, and I can keep him happy at home, I am hopeful that after the 30 day folowup Xray I can get him home, it is a 9 hour trailer ride home from So. California to my home, flat straight freeway driving. I have a Box Stall trailer available for him as well. Thoughts on transporting him ?

1 Like

I have not been through this, nor am I the vet, but: 9 hours sounds like a long ride at only 30 days after surgery. Even on good flat roads, they have to work harder at balancing themselves than in a stall. It would seem hard on them if the neck is still stiff/sore. But for your sake, I hope I’m wrong!

1 Like

thanks and yeah… I agree. If it was just an hour or so would be different. the Vet/surgeon has told me a box stall best as the horse cannot be tied/ cross tied or anything for about 90 days post surgery… being cautious.

2 Likes

I brought him home at one week, in a box stall. Three hour trip. My followups at nbc were 3 and 6 mos. He came straight home, not to rehab. I asked the vet if box stall was ok for transport and she said it was fine, as long as he had traveled in a box without issue prior to surgery. I felt like it would be safer in case the truck made a sudden stop and he was tied and hurt his neck. I didn’t tie him for months. They are pretty unhappy the first few weeks and 9 hrs seems like alot. Could you overnite him somewhere on the way? Can you ask the surgeon for a rec?

1 Like

My gelding rode home in his 2+1, 11 + hours from Pennsylvania to Maine 14 days after surgery. He did very well. We gave several longer breaks and I kept an eye on the camera the whole time (and I may have been white knuckling the dash every time I saw brake lights ahead). But he was fine and didn’t even seem tired when we got home. I was amazed.

1 Like

Oh Yeah so good to hear that the transport home went fine!.. I will hold off till he has follow-up X-rays at 30 days and hopefully bring him home then. I so appreciate hearing what others have to say about this. My gelding is a great trailer traveler so hopefully will be the same as yours. Thanks APT GReenie.

2 Likes

Hello again, well I got my boy home from Surgery/ Rehab just last Tuesday 21st. He traveled the 9 hour drive well eating and drinking in the box stall. I am glad the Vets warned about seeing him for the first time after 7 weeks post surgery. He lost a lot of muscle and weight and pretty stiff, still walking stabby steps. On a huge amount of Gabapentin 2 x per day which I am grinding up with coffee grinder and adding pureed carrot baby food to take the bitterness away. He’s a trooper and being super quiet… not as vocal as he was prior to surgery but getting his sweet personality back day by day. He is quite the talker normally at home with my other 3 horses nearby. The rehab for now is still only at hand walking 10 minutes per session 2x a day. I know this is going to be a long long slow road to recovery but I wouldn’t change a thing in choosing to have surgery. At 6 years old and the success rate of my surgeon and 3 vets conferring with us, I feel ok with my decision to do the surgery. Your story is 4 months ahead of our story so I am glad to hear at 6 months how well your mare is doing.

6 Likes