Chronic hand eczema

I get it on the palms of my hands. It’s so darn itchy that I scratch them raw, the I get painful cracks.

Stress and spicy foods are triggers and probably other things that I haven’t noticed.

As soon as I start to get itchy if I put on Desoximetasine .25% cream it really helps. If I wait till I’m raw, it still helps, but I also have to use neosporine to heal the cracks.

I don’t wear gloves, except when I groom my horses. I hate gloves!

Additional info about S. Aureus and excema by Dr. Bjorn Herpers, Clinical Microbiologist, Netherlands.
Overgrowth of S. Aureus on the skin causes an imbalance in the micro biome which provokes an inflammatory response by secreting toxins. This results in the redness, scaling and itch seen with eczema.
Dutch biotech company Miereos launched Stapgefekt an anti-bacterial (so-called endolipin) that specifically kills S. Aureus on the skin without drawbacks of antibiotics.
The local pharmacist is searching for info as to whether it has been licensed here. It’s being sold in the EU after testing.

[QUOTE=Hayburner;8799733]
I get it on the palms of my hands. It’s so darn itchy that I scratch them raw, the I get painful cracks.

Stress and spicy foods are triggers and probably other things that I haven’t noticed.

As soon as I start to get itchy if I put on Desoximetasine .25% cream it really helps. If I wait till I’m raw, it still helps, but I also have to use neosporine to heal the cracks.

I don’t wear gloves, except when I groom my horses. I hate gloves![/QUOTE]

Try covering the cracks with band-aids overnight and for as long as they stay in place, they help me anyway. Sometimes moistening the pad with water helps too.

Avon Skin So Soft oil. Weird, but true. Also very good on equine rain rot.

Red itchy rashes that are formed by coming in direct contact with some allergens/irritants. Contact dermatitis can be mostly seen around the hands or different parts body parts. A type of eczema that can cause skin inflammation due to the irritants that cause redness, burning or itching.

http://eczemaliving.com/hand-eczema-management-in-babies/

I have tried so many expensive creams for the eczema on my hands. I’m a server so I wash my hands all day at work and they get really irritated. Foderma serum made a visible difference within a day, and got rid of the discomfort. After a few days it completely cleared up. If you’re having eczema problems you should definitely try foderma.

For the last 16 months I have been successfully treating eczema with–hand sanitizer because hand sanitizer kills staph a. So does Chlorine.
So I told my GP. He paid attention and he is/was successfully treating a hospitalized baby with eczema with weak chlorine baths.
Everyone has staph a killing hand sanitizer. Give it a try–it will work or it won’t. What have you got to lose?

Someone upthread suggested Bag Balm and I just wanted to second it. I’m a nurse, so I have to wash my hands constantly, which causes me to have near-constant flares in my hands. Aside from steroid creams, Bag Balm is the only thing that helps. It’s wonderful stuff. The Eucerin cream in the tub helped somewhat, but BB is my go to.

I should have given more detail about hand sanitizer and eczema so here goes. There was a report in a British newspaper
I read on-line about a hand cream for treating eczema developed by a lab in Holland. According to the report most people, not all, have staph Aureus on their skin. When it colonizes it excretes a substance that some, not all, respond to with Rosacea, others, not all with acne, and some, not all with eczema. I contacted the lab via e-mail to buy some to learn it’s only available in the EU. So what to do? Well alcohol kills staph, so does javex bleach. I remember that every time I swam in a chlorinated swimming pool the eczema was improved. So I used a hand sanitizer advertised as killing Staph A. on the eczema patches. The inflammation and itch subsided so I 've used it ever since. Shopper’s Drug Mart had a display of a new product to treat eczema and the list of ingredients read as follows: Aqua, alcohol followed by chemically ingredients. When asked, the pharmacist didn’t say a word when questioned about which ingredient addressed the eczema. Not one word. The next time I was in the store the product had disappeared.
So I put hand sanitizer on all eczema and then a “eczema friendly” skin product. Bag Balm didn’t work for me before but once the Staph A is eliminated it might hydrate the skin and not break it out as before. So I’ll try it again.

I have had excema on my hands on and off for the last 10 years. These are the triggers I’ve been able to pinpoint:

-harsh soap (never use the soap in public restrooms)
-alcohol (the itching is almost immediate)
-dry skin (I can stop it from progressing if I prevent the dry skin, but it’s a fine balance between too dry and too moist)
-excessive moisture (always fully dry hands)
-possibly allergies (not sure if there’s a connection but since taking Claritin daily for other allergies, I haven’t had a flare up)
-stress!!! (this one is harder to control…)

That’s too bad about the alcohol reaction so maybe Staph Aureus isn’t the culprit with you. Too bad. As a life-long sufferer it’s a blessing something so simple, hand sanitizer, has had the effect is has with me. I wish a solution could be that simple for everyone with eczema.

I still struggle, but I started taking bovine colostrum two months ago, and it’s a lot better so far. Curious to see what winter brings.