Unlimited access >

Chronic Ulcers - Help Needed

I just paid $45 for a 250 count bottle of 3OOmg tabs of ranitidine. My pony gets 8 pills a day so the bottle lasts one month. She weighs 700 pounds and that is one dose a day. I believe the treatment dosing is three time a day, but once a day is her “maintainance dose” so you would obviously be using more.
Hope that helps.
ETA: that price was through Valley Vet, LDavis seems to have found a cheaper source with the
Walmart brand, if I did the math in my head right!

Costco may be a cheaper source of ranitidine,or a prescription from the vet taken to Walmart or Target.

[QUOTE=cayuse;8277422]
I just paid $45 for a 250 count bottle of 3OOmg tabs of ranitidine. My pony gets 8 pills a day so the bottle lasts one month. She weighs 700 pounds and that is one dose a day. I believe the treatment dosing is three time a day, but once a day is her “maintainance dose” so you would obviously be using more.
Hope that helps.
ETA: that price was through Valley Vet, LDavis seems to have found a cheaper source with the
Walmart brand, if I did the math in my head right![/QUOTE]

FYI, raniditine is best and most effective if you feed it 3x a day, usually 30m before food.

You could look at cutting grain and adding calories back in the form of soaked alfalfa cubes. The calcium in alfalfa helps manage stomach acid & the increased volume/time spent eating will reduce the amount of time his stomach is empty.

Update - he’s responding well to treatment doses of omeprZole from the vet. I started switching his feed to TC senior today - 2 weeks he will be fully switched.

The vet said ranitidine is a waste of my money and since omep from them is working to stick with that.

Given that it seems the powder isn’t effective we have to choices to maintain him after this 30 day treatment. We can do maintenance doses of omep from the vet (paste) 3-4 days a week. Or we can do abprazole plus maintenance dose daily. I’m nervous about this. We know the stuff from the vet works. But it’s quite costly. So only a few days a week. If they even works. If we do abprazole plus I’m worried it won’t work or will make him worse if there’s something in it? (Not regulated over seas). Thoughts/opinions?

I’ll also be mixing in some alfalfa pellets for him

You do not want to keep them on omeprazole indefinitely.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8284158]
You do not want to keep them on omeprazole indefinitely.[/QUOTE]

There’s no question about that. He will be on omeprazole the rest of his life.

The statement from the vet that ranitidine is useless is crazy - mine and many other horses have greatly benefited from it for maintainence. I wouldn’t rule it out.

[QUOTE=LDavis104;8284192]
The statement from the vet that ranitidine is useless is crazy - mine and many other horses have greatly benefited from it for maintainence. I wouldn’t rule it out.[/QUOTE]
I think her thought was that it won’t do anything different than the omep and costs the same

Try the ranitidine - you should see some difference in a few days. But also consider DSLD can affect the internal organs causing colic-like discomfort and this could be the next step in the progression of the disease that your horse is enduring. Also long term Previcox can take a toll on the liver which can also result in reduced appetite.

If you don’t see any improvement within a week - it is time to reassess with your vet including bloodwork to check the liver.