Unlimited access >

Clay type substance for open sores?

My horse is developing sores on his hips and hocks from the hard ground. He has a fluffy stall to sleep in but during the day he prefers sleeping outside. With the ground getting drier and harder I expect the sores to get worse.

I’ve seen horses with sores on their fetlocks from laying down. Those can be helped with boots or wraps whereas the hip area… well how do you wrap that?

Last year I saw a woman using a product that looked like a greenish clay. She smeared it on her horses knees and fetlocks. It not only healed the sores, it acted as a barrier against re-tearing the skin. She said it lasted about three days and then she would wash and reapply.

Has anyone seen this? I don’t know the woman so I can’t track her down.

Might be a product called Coat Defense. It can be used on wounds, and will stay on a couple days.

1 Like

Sounds like gall salve which, yes, is great for sores like this.

https://a.co/d/dcsDW73

2 Likes

I’ve had good luck with Alluspray.

1 Like

This is a clay-based liquid bandage. It dries down solid and stays on well. Keeps flies out too.

2 Likes

Try Nu-Stock. I was also on the hunt for a clay-like substance for wounds as I had used some before but didn’t know the name and Nu-Stock fit the bill.

1 Like

Aussie_2020, I am having the same problem. Perfectly adequately bedded stall and she sleeps out in the sand based pen.

Tape (duct, Gorilla, Elastikon) won’t stick to her fine/soft hair. I tried the hock shields boots and the left one wouldn’t stay on and I didn’t like how tight they were to try and get them to stay on. Those won’t help hips either. I am currently using Dr Underwood’s Horse Medicine. I am kind of assuming you are in Australia from your name so I don’t know if it is available there. With the Dr. Underwood’s you apply the medicine (which looks like light weight motor oil :hushed:) then dust baking soda over the top. Today when I got there, I didn’t think it was doing anything and the whole 2 days worth of gunk had fallen off. While I was hosing her off post ride, the worst sore was nice and pink with very little bleeding. It had been cracking and bleeding if I even looked at it prior to the Dr. Underwood’s. so, I will continue with this process. The sores are likely not to heal completely until we get some moisture in the ground….maybe November :stuck_out_tongue:.

Susan

1 Like

Hopefully the pic will load. But this is his left hip. The right side isn’t as bad. I sure appreciate the replies! I’ve ordered a couple products and if they don’t work I’ll try the others.

Long ago I had a yearling who had a broken elbow from a kick. He was in a stall for many weeks and got a bed sore on his hip bone maybe two-three inches across. Nothing worked.

Then I had to move him to another farm to get him into a pasture. The guy who ran that farm “snuck” behind my back, mixed up some “flowers of sulphur” into Swat ointment, applied it, and the next day that raw, open, weeping sore had started to dry out, his skin regrew, and I don’t think we had much of a mark on his skin to show where the sore had been.

The modern stuff is probably better but that old timey type of thinking cured that horrible looking bedsore quickly.

1 Like

I second Equaide. Great product. Used it for years.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar problem with my horses, although not as bad as the sore in the picture. I’ve found that Gold Bond Friction Defense really helps to keep the sores from forming. Body Glide would probably also work. After the sores heal try coating the area with Friction Defense to see if that will keep the sores from coming back.

1 Like

Wanted to give an update on the products I’ve tried.

The pic is Coat Defense - it is providing a good barrier and seems to help with the wound healing. It lasts two days and then I wash the area and reapply.

Gall Salve is nice for his hock scrapes, but it doesn’t help his hips or fetlocks.

Nu-Stock goes on nice and provided good cover but, by the next day it was cracking and falling off. It does a good job on his fetlocks.

I still want to try Equaide, Dr Underwoods, Gold Bond Defense. My current products should get me through this dry season and I hope once the rain is back the ground will soften plus he is more likely to sleep in his bedded stall when it’s wet outside. Thanks everyone!
20220814_080129|598x500