Unlimited access >

Coaches that don't ride

I hope you are able to take time to rest your rattled brain!

1 Like

My trainer still rides, but she’s very selective indeed about what she will get on. She had a very capable working student who gets on the babies and feistier ones under her supervision.

I have one riding my horse right now. She comes out 3 or 4 days a week and schools him. No money changes hands as she’s horseless and just wants the saddle time. She’s quite a gifted rider, much better than I am and I’m thrilled that he is getting the work from someone who could go pro if she wanted to.

5 Likes

One other possibility comes to mind, and that is offering room and board to a young European rider in exchange for the opportunity to ride and perfect their English. I can’t help you with logistics, but I know one trainer who gets WS from Sweden, and another had a German girl riding keeping her clients going while she underwent cancer treatment.

4 Likes

Our house doesn’t have room for that, but thank you for the idea. I know someone who did that before and it worked out well I think.

1 Like

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

1 Like

there are plenty of coaches/trainers that no longer ride and I don’t think it’s necessarily a deal breaker for clients. Most of the trainers/coaches that I know have someone that works for them that can ride / school horses if necessary.

1 Like

My trainer no longer rides, but employs an assistant who does all the riding. Trainer has an amazing eye, pairs horses and owners incredibly well, and is a hell of a horsewoman.

Advertise for a young pro maybe? Give them a chance to build experience and positives on their resume.

3 Likes

I’m another one who doesn’t expect instructors to ride my horses & I don’t want them to. I don’t learn how to solve problems that way, which doesn’t serve me in the long run. It’s just my personal preference, so that would not be an issue for me at all.

I’m also very picky about who I ride with. If someone doesn’t have a big enough toolbox to help me work through an issue, I’m not interested in paying them anyway. Will it take me a little longer? Probably, but I’ll never learn how if I don’t do it! I have ridden with both top level trainers & good local folks.

So I agree that it just depends on what either your clients want or what kind of clients you want.

2 Likes

OP, it sounds like for this client you would like a good, confident rider who can ride out some foolishness under directions. Depending upon your area, you may find someone suitable willing to trade reduced board for riding this (and possibly other) horse. If you are near a college, it is possible you might find a good rider currently horseless, especially if you can offer other rides too.

1 Like

There are plenty of great coaches/trainers that don’t ride and haven’t ridden for years, decades and their riders are some of the top in their zones etc. However, most of the trainers I know that don’t ride do have a good rider to help school horses if necessary. Sometimes they’re Jr or ammy riders other situations they have an assistant trainer /working student who schools and may show some of the greener horses. One barn I was somewhat familiar with the clients had very made horses which never need any prep w/ a pro or the clients were very capable to work out any issues themselves with the trainer/coaches help from the ground. Best of luck to you and please keep us posted

I hope you’re eventually well enough, OP, to ride your own horses for pleasure! I think even coaches who manage to stay well enough so they “could” ride all of their clients’ horses grow more selective and self-protective as they get older, because of the risk-reward calculus.

If having a younger working student or assistant isn’t feasible, maybe establish a friendly working relationship with another trainer locally you could send some of the greener horses to for training rides? If you were worried about losing students, maybe a trainer in another adjacent discipline (like dressage) or eventing. I know it’s not as great as getting the income yourself, but it would be a way to fulfill the need while still keeping your business going.

I agree that not riding is far from a “deal breaker” with many riders, especially if the coach has an established reputation. If anything, some riders may appreciate not being pressured to have training rides from the coach.

4 Likes

I wasn’t riding client’s horses much for the last few years, but still COULD. Usually just to demo a skill/aid to a client or work through a small training bump. Not having that option is a struggle mentally.

I have had a few inquires from people to help me with riding; weeding through them is exhausting. One was referred by the person currently riding my big guy, so hoping she works out. Dressage riding who wants to get back into riding.

Be aware though that this is pretty illegal…. There are no working visa for Europeans. They are coming with tourist visa

In Canada there are working.tourist visas for people under 30 I think. The ski resorts here are staffed by young Australians who are thrilled by snow :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There is a farm exchange program in Canada for citizens of certain European countries, but you had to provide the student with valuable farming type skills (not sure if riding horses counts) as well as help them with their English speaking skills. For people 18-35. We know a few people that have done this - it’s an interesting program, and definitely legal.

I think some barns I know have got European working students this way.

1 Like

Turns out I just don’t have the energy to worry about this right now. I talked to a few people, but didn’t get great vibes. The person helping me sell my gelding recommended someone - but she didn’t call when she said she would, and waited days to respond to messages…so I am done with her. I have one person who might come out when they get their car fixed - she was the only one available day times. I realized having to hang out nights/weekends until I trusted them was more than I have energy for - my lessons right now are mostly days. I only really teach nights maybe once a week.

My one mare should be ok to part lease, so maybe I will go that route instead.

So much detail here. Including the detail that you were looking to learn to ride as opposed to looking for a finished riding horse to be mounted upon. Looking to learn to ride as opposed to looking to ride a horse that someone else had produced for you. Big difference in mindset. Also of course your age was ideal.