Coastkeepers Shuts Down FEI level A Shows

@Mardi1 Well, I think almost two months of grace period is more than enough… I have requested horse show refunds before everywhere from CA to FL and they were always processed within the week…

I’m not repeating on here gossip I’ve heard, but what I’ve heard made me worried enough to post on here to get a bigger perspective. We have both called and emailed and heard nothing back.

At this point I and my barn mates will not accept a show credit refund, but I’m worried if they are going to plan to honor refunds at all.

For the record, my email request for a full scratch refund was dated May 1

@flake Wait, the prize money checks bounced for the May Los Angeles Blenheim shows???!! Did I read that right?

Wow.

That’s good.
Did those shows have the same rescheduling issue as Blenheim ?

@Mardi1 why should it matter? They either have the $ to process refunds and distribute prize money from horse shows scheduled in early May or they don’t.

The Coastkeepers have been an issue since 2015 and we (the collective we of the equestrian community in Southern California but especially equestrian property owners) are all dealing with Coastkeepers.

My barn alone is out thousands of dollars. But we weren’t treating this as a destination horse show since we are in the OC. I know other trainers with clients who were coming from Northern California, Las Vegas and beyond who are out even more $ than us.

I am 100% sympathetic to what the Ridland’s are going through, but I need my $$$ back. This is a business and either one has good business and financials where deposits are put in an account where they are not touched or one does not.

How this is handled is really important IMO.

12 Likes

I agree. How this is handled is important, and will set the tone for their future horse shows.
It’s also important for USEF to understand how their decision making process for sharing show dates affects the exhibitors.

I understand your frustration about waiting for your money. I never received a pre-show refund from a very large USEF/USDF regional championship in Los Angeles. It wasn’t managed by Blenheim, but by a horse show management company that had done Olympic trials, and other large events. My horse was injured weeks before the show, and we scratched well in advance. I followed all requirements for the refund - vet note, timing of the scratch, proof of payment, etc. I waited more than a month, and up to the show date. The money never came. What happened ? Show management transferred my money to my trainer’s barn account, for him to use for other clients’ horses, feed, bedding, tack rooms, etc. No one from the show office told me or the trainer, no one asked if this was ok. And certainly no apology. When pressed, show management said to get my money from my trainer. Period.

That management company wasn’t having any problems like Blenheim may be having. Yet they withheld my refund, and were being jerks, which fit their long standing reputation.

Yes everyone needs their money back. Do you truly believe that Blenheim isn’t working on it, and they have no intent on repaying all their loyal customers ? Does that sound like them ? Blenheim has given immense support to the southern California show community for years. Their shows have an outstanding reputation, and provide you with top competition. As far as I know, they have always done right by the riders, trainers and owners. IMHO, until proven otherwise, they deserve our support.

3 Likes

@Mardi1 wow your refund experience sounds terrible, sorry that happened to you.

I’ve def never received a show scratch refund BEFORE the show starts but my two previous refunds were processed the week the show was running or at the very latest the week after it ended. In one case I drove down to the Del Mar National horse show office to deal with the problem in person, which was going to be my next step with Blenheim.

I’m not one to repeat unsubstantiated gossip on the internet, but actually I spoke to several older trainer friends re this issue (I’m a professional myself but did not grow up in Orange County) and Blenheim (apparently, according to the three individuals I talked to) actually does have a reputation for NOT honoring show refunds over the last several decades (again, according to the people I talked to … and I really was hesitant to post this here but… you asked why I’m concerned).

The post above about prize money checks from the May shows bouncing is super concerning.

I had no control over what USEF did with the show dates, but I suppose I can reach out to USEF too as a professional member if this doesn’t get resolved (some barn mates are already talking about lawyers! NOT something I want to be involved with…)

I just wish this could all be handled in-house quietly. I feel like these concerns about refunds slash panic I’m hearing from some people could have been avoided if Blenheim had sent out an email June 20 giving us an update, processed the refunds, or if they had just answered their phone, replied to email or honored the Q&A Robert Ridland was supposed to have last Friday afternoon June 28 at the show at Blenheim (screenshot attached… it was canceled at the last minute).

I run a business outside the horse world. Fiscal integrity and financial responsibility is essential or people will take their business (in this case, show dollars for a luxury sport) elsewhere and that would be a low blow for San Juan Capistrano, the Ridlands, Blenheim and the sport in general.

6 Likes

Correct

I appreciate your post and you’re right about a business’ fiscal integrity and responsibility.
However I’m not understanding why the Blenheim shows have been consistently well attended for so many years, if they have a rocky financial reputation. It doesn’t seem to affect the trainers and owners, as they have continued to show with them. What is different this time ? Is it the lack of communication ?

In my case, I stopped going to Cornerstone managed (large) horse shows. The poorly handled refund was just the start, and then a few other, non financial, issues came along. Finally I had enough, and told my trainer to find other shows. He did. We soon learned that it was actually more fun to support smaller weekend shows, and their management.

I hope you and others get the answers you deserve, and Blenheim can see it’s way clear of this mess.

1 Like

I also had a bad refund experience with Cornerstone.

1 Like

Ok I’m happy to report good news on this front! My full show scratch refund from the May Blenheim shows has finally been processed (July 3) and hit my bank account. I hope that @flake has a similar experience with the bounced prize money checks.

Phew, I’m so relieved.

6 Likes