Unlimited access >

College Equestrian Team Questions

Storm Warrior, you have the best coach in the business :slight_smile:

Orion, if you want to make an IHSA team you need to ride in the lowest possible level that you qualify for. I’ve seen many riders get offended that they were going to be put in lower levels, only to get their butts handed to them. A lot of people ride one or two horses for their show careers, win ribbons, wonder why they are a novice rider instead of an open, and then realize they can’t sit the trot without stirrups on a big moving warmblood because they were used to their personal smooth-as-silk horse at home. Ride everything you can and ride without stirrups! Best way to prep for IHSA

[QUOTE=Khadiiyo;8089901]
Storm Warrior, you have the best coach in the business :slight_smile:

Orion, if you want to make an IHSA team you need to ride in the lowest possible level that you qualify for. I’ve seen many riders get offended that they were going to be put in lower levels, only to get their butts handed to them. A lot of people ride one or two horses for their show careers, win ribbons, wonder why they are a novice rider instead of an open, and then realize they can’t sit the trot without stirrups on a big moving warmblood because they were used to their personal smooth-as-silk horse at home. Ride everything you can and ride without stirrups! Best way to prep for IHSA[/QUOTE]
Oh it’s soooooooooo true. Coach Ashley is amazing. Truly amazing. She’s tough as nails and will hand it too you if you’re not riding correctly, but dang do we turn out great riders! ANRC is next week and we’re hoping to do REALLY well!!! I’ve been watching our girls (and one guy), school for the past few weeks, and everyone and their horses look great!!!

Also I totally agree - get on everything that is handed to you and drop those stirrups!!!

[QUOTE=Orion;8088438]
Just found this thread! And thankful for it because I’m going to Cazenovia College next year and wanted to try out for the team.

I’ve been hearing a lot about the NCAA getting rid of Equestrian as a sport for lack of college participants, which is almost funny considering there is over 100 IHSA teams. (All the colleges I applied to besides one has an IHSA team).

Any advice for trying out for the teams?[/QUOTE]

Dress neat! Most wore polo shirts, (I wore a show shirt with the collar turned down), TAN PANTS!!!, and clean, polished boots. Hair up in a hairnet and in your helmet is a must.

Don’t focus on the horse, focus on you. Heel DOWN, leg unmoving, hands level, even, and unmoving. Chin up, back straight and engaged. Move with fluidity and grace, and show that you can equitate on anything you are put on.
Most importantly, SMILE! You’re getting to ride, so why not?
Always thank your horse, and thank the instructor for the opportunity. Good luck!

Orion, you’d best ask the team what you should wear for try outs - some teams require that you try out in show clothes.

As someone who has completed an undergrad in equine science and rode on the IHSA team for all four years (captained for 3) and now am completing a graduate degree in equine science and riding alumni with the IHSA, I feel the need to chime in here.

And here’s the deal: while I agree that it is important to consider all aspects of a potential college, how close you need to look at the equestrian programs depends on what you want to study. If you’re going for anything academic OTHER than horses, you need to look at your college pretty heavy first - the academics, the social life, your department, your professors, etc. Then if you like all of those things, you can start checking on eq teams.

However…if you’re wanting to study horses, in a horse science/equine studies/etc. type program and you want to be a horse professional, the team/eq program are a lot more important. If you want to be an equine professional the team can do a lot to improve you quickly and give you a lot of catch-riding experience but only if you pick a school where the coach and team and program have a lot to offer you. And the program has different strengths - Findlay is known for producing riders/trainers, while Colorado State focuses on horse people who do science. UK is an ag school, producing more science-y people, while Centenary has a more well-rounded equine studies program with a stronger riding program.

So it all depends on whether you are going to ride on the side, or ride as a professional.

Also NCAA is not the way to go if you aren’t a high-level equitation rider anyway. Yes, they take just flat riders but typically not so much. Also NCAA Equestrian is in a lot of danger as a sport right now.

The reality of it all is that you might not make the team. I knew a girl who tried out for our IHSA with ribbons in the Big Eq and didn’t make it.

For those of your reminiscing about your college riding days, you can relive them via the reunion classes at Alumni Tournament of Champions. Not really on topic, but thought i’d mention.

[QUOTE=JASecond;8095922]
For those of your reminiscing about your college riding days, you can relive them via the reunion classes at Alumni Tournament of Champions. Not really on topic, but thought i’d mention.[/QUOTE]

Hmm…never heard of it but thanks for sharing! Was there a level one had to achieve in IHSA to ride in this like they do the actual Alumni classes (example: I only did W-T-C for hunt seat so I can’t do the official IHSA alumni since I never made it to Novice. Western, I think, you had to make it to Open which I did manage to do on my last regular IHSA show of my career!)

[QUOTE=Dramapony_misty;8096478]
Hmm…never heard of it but thanks for sharing! Was there a level one had to achieve in IHSA to ride in this like they do the actual Alumni classes (example: I only did W-T-C for hunt seat so I can’t do the official IHSA alumni since I never made it to Novice. Western, I think, you had to make it to Open which I did manage to do on my last regular IHSA show of my career!)[/QUOTE]

With us - as long as you are currently capable of competing at the level then you are ok. If you did WTC in college but have been riding ever since and are capable of jumping a 3’ course there is no reason why we would prevent you from competing in our 2’3 and 2’6 classes. You can also do both Hunt Seat and Western all in one show with us!