Unlimited access >

Coming back from a broken ankle...

I came off a horse and compound fractured my right ankle in multiple places in 2004, requiring a lengthy emergency surgery that involved plates and screws. I was non-weight bearing and in a cast for about three months. The key to my recovery from a riding perspective was having a fantastic physical therapist who understood my goals and how my ankle needed to function to be able to achieve them. I showed my therapist riding photos and explained in great detail as to how my ankle must function to be able to ride. Bearing that in mind, he took my therapy in a slightly different direction. He said that he will retain most people in therapy until they are walking and doing their normal activities as before. Since my “normal” was different, he kept me longer to help get my ankle functional for riding again. I was in therapy 3x week and worked it diligently. There were times when I was afraid I’d never get my range of motion back, or that it would always swell and hurt, but now, several years later, I’d say it’s back to 85%+
pretty amazing considering what my xrays looked like. I ride a lot and compete, I play tennis, I water and snow ski, etc. with no trouble.

Something that also helped tremendously was having my hardware removed and scar tissue “cleaned up” in a minor surgery about a year and a half after the injury. It is no fun to have another surgery but it made a huge difference and was very much worth it.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Amen! I had trimalleolar fractures (both sides and back of ankle), requiring a plate and 14 screws. A year after my first surgery, i had the hardware removed. It made a HUGE difference.

I was on crutches, non-weight bearing, for 11 weeks. It was miserable. Due to the nature of one of my breaks (spiral fracture of the fibula), I was in a hard cast for 5 weeks. I wasn’t able to move my ankle at all. When I was finally freed from hard casts, I wanted to cry cause my leg looked like it had been consumed by an alien. At first, I had to lengthen my stirrup to compensate for the lack of flexibility. I would also spend some time riding without stirrups in order to get general leg strength back.

It’s been 7 months since my hardware removal surgery. I hardly notice a difference in my ankles while riding. Now if the swelling would go away
 :smiley:

Sending happy thoughts your way!

1 Like

I broke my right fibula back at the end of August. September 1st I had surgery and went right into an air cast. The break is completely healed but unfortunately not only did I break it but tore all the ligaments away from the ankle. The orthopedic doctor said the ligaments can take up to a year to heal. I go back next week to hear what he has to say. I’ll probably be back riding before he would like me to. I have a couple nice, quiet and sane horses for me waiting to help get me back riding again. But make sure you don’t push yourself beyond what your leg is ready to deal with. You could very easily injure it again.

The only thing I didn’t like about the orthopedic doctor was when he made the comment “another activity I need to tell my patients not to do”. When I told him that was an unfair statement all I got was a disgusted look.

I broke my talus bone and tibia after getting launched by a horse, of course! No plates or screws involved though, so I was lucky. They had me in a bent leg cast (so I could not possibly put any weight on that ankle) and they threatened that I would need screws if I DID step on it (that was enough to make me behave). It healed just fine. I probably have a little less flexibility in that ankle (and it is a great excuse I use when I get yelled at for not having my heel DOWN on that side). :wink: Since that leg was in a cast for a while, it did mean that I could fit into a narrower boot on that leg too!

I also broke the talus and badly sprained my ankle. I walked on it – or tried to – for the first two weeks after the fall because I thought it was just a sprain and I’d get over it. Then I realized I really did want it to heal well and went to my dr. looking for a prescription for PT. he took one look, sent me to the surgeon
 anyways
 8 weeks in a boot.
My advice:

1. DO YOUR PT!!! Don’t be a slacker and even as it starts to feel better, keep doing your PT.
  2. If you don’t have them already, go get zippers put in your tall boots now. The likelihood of being able to pull them on and off anymore is slim.
  3. Do the excercise you can do – PT, I swam a lot that winter, and did a lot of weightlifting where I could crutch over to a bench then sit and do upper body or do single-leg stuff on my good leg – to keep the rest of you strong.

Today, I wake up stiff in that ankle every day, but I warm out of it and I am doing all the things I always did (running, biking, aerobics, etc.) without pain. Unfortunately, though, the riding is tough – I just can’t get that ankle down and put weight in it the way I used to, and I think that’s made me less secure in the tack and uneven on my horse. Not to the point I can’t ride or can’t do as much, but I certainly notice it and I’m sure he does, too!

Interesting to read that so many people got their hardware removed – I didn’t even know that was an option! I’ve had mine for almost ten years and wonder if having it out would still be an option or whether I should just leave it alone.

[QUOTE=Frizzle;4708229]
Interesting to read that so many people got their hardware removed – I didn’t even know that was an option! I’ve had mine for almost ten years and wonder if having it out would still be an option or whether I should just leave it alone.[/QUOTE]

I have asked in the past and the doctor basically said if it isn’t bothering me to leave it in. Like I said in my previous post I did a marathon on mine 18 months post accident and I still run 4 times per week (4-6 miles) and wear 3" heels on a daily basis and ride as well. I don’t want to mess with it quite frankly, maybe down the line if I have arthritis or something.

My dad had the same surgery in '01 and he is quite active, gym every day and golf and no one ever mentioned removal to him either.

I am guessing it has something to do with the type of break, I had a very clean break and so did my father. A spiral fracture or a compound fracture come with a lot of complications that I didn’t have to deal with.

Honestly, my ankle with the hardware is far more stable than my other one where I tore all the ligaments in the same accident, that one rolls all the time.

To the OP: I recommend the jointed stirrups, that really helped me. Plus I did a lot of trot sets in steeplechase length stirrups to work on getting flexibility back.

I suffered from the same injury back in December and am back to riding on March 3rd! Super excited but also slightly nervous about what to except :grimacing:

I broke mine last Jan ( of 2022)I also tore the tendons and ligaments which concerned my doctor more than the break.

I was riding in May but obviously not able to get my heel down and putting too much pressure in the stirrup is still uncomfortable. Getting on is ok. Getting off still causes discomfort.

It stiffens when I sit for any length of time and if I happen to step on uneven ground or worse yet a small rock the pain is momentary but excruciating . After almost a year it has gotten some better , or maybe it is just a new way of life for me I don’t know!

If I stay on my feet and moving continually you would never know I did anything to it
 No matter what It is better than wearing the boot.

I shattered my calcaneus and required surgery. I had to wait 10? days for the swelling to go down. One plate and nine screws later, they put me back together. The doctor originally told me I would be non weight bearing for six months. I was back to riding just after 3 months. I put a lot of effort into finding the best PT for the injury. I did the zero gravity treadmill and aquatherapy and I think thats 1) why I healed so quickly and 2) why I healed so well. Calcaneus is gnarly and cause a lot of people a lifetime of limitations. I don’t think I’ll be running any marathons, but I wasn’t planning to anyway. I do get around just fine and can ride to full capacity.