Unlimited access >

Comparing properties and trade offs

Property A without question. While I don’t like being next to a busy highway, it might make it more accessible for vets and farriers. I would not take on a project property that needed all the work done of clearing and building, there is so much more that goes into it along with the additional cost. It makes property B far more expensive than property A without adding value to property B once you’ve invested all that into it.

Clearing land, building barns and arenas is really costly, takes time and adds a lot of stress to your life. Those things also do not always add value to a property for future sales. Many of those costs are cash only options also. You will also need to do grading for barns and arenas which can add a lot of extra cost, drainage, adding water, plumbing, electricity etc. all add dollars to the project.

6 Likes

Another point for a ready made horse facility would be vet and farrier care.

It’s fine and dandy to just have run in sheds until you need the vet team and the farrier team at your farm and naturally it’s gonna be a downpour that day.

5 Likes

It kind of depends on how someone wants to keep horses though, a run in shed can be just fine and my husband farrier has trimmed/shod many a horse under a carport or run in without issue. Pasture, run in and a frost free hydrant is all we’ve ever needed which really is about as easy as it gets for keeping horses. Even when we had barns we didn’t use them much, never stalled a horse. We’re trail people so quiet road and trails nearby would be a draw for us, more so than the IL suite, separate runs off the barn, and riding ring. I like a quiet road in case horses/dogs escape, and the trails for the OP are already something they enjoy. Just different ideas.

5 Likes

So much this and I didnt think of it. If I had had to build, I would have kept boarding because storing tack in the trailer/garage/spare room and trying to convince a farrier to come out when it’s 48*, blowing 25 mph with rain would be a no-go, and while also affording said build would have SUCKED.

1 Like

Building does suck. As I’m presently living that nightmare I’ve got strong opinions, both in regards to convenience and cost effectiveness.

Sure vet and farrier can do a bit with a minimal shelter, but what about when your doing orthopedic glue on shoes with pour in pads per x rays and you’ve 8 people, three trucks and spendy x ray machines? Just my current example

5 Likes

Do you show OR do you primarily trail ride? In my mind that’s the deal breaker here.

A if the former, B if the latter and you have the funds to build a modest barn and a robust hay shed.

Fencing costs as much as you want it to. Some dry lots you can rotate through and keep.one resting is one thing, building pasture…that’s going to take too much time and $$$$

2 Likes

It is much, much easier to make hauling out part of your routine:
As compared to clearing, building, dealing with setbacks, Building fences, dealing with crappy contractors… and rearranging the entire property.

For me there’s no comparison here at all. Property A wins hands down. I know people who haul their horses out three times a week for either Lessons or trail riding. Honestly, this becomes a normal part of your world. If you get property B, you are looking at years of work and you might not end up with what you want. So much more money to spend, And it may not add any value to your property in the long run at all.

5 Likes

How wooded is property B? Is there a large enough cleared area for a modest barn and arena? Pasture doesn’t have to be grass, especially for easy keepers. You can fence in a wooded area and feed hay as needed.

Other things to look at:

How is the access to the property for trucks and trailers. Is the driveway wide with plenty of room to turn around and park or are you going to be stressed every time you need to use the trailer or get a large delivery.

If it applies think about snow plowing. Where will it go? Alternatively, what if you need to evacuate - how hard would it be to get out.

For me, trails are a priority and I would go with property B or keep looking unless it was a very short haul from property A to the trails.

2 Likes

How one wants to keep horses is a consideration. That being said, having facilities in place capable of handling a range of emergencies is a life saver.

I’m not downplaying the benefit of ride out. There is a difference between riding out and hauling out. If it was imperative for my enjoyment of horses at home, I’d keep looking until I found something with facilities and ride out. The cost, time/money/convenience of clearing land and setting up horse keeping is too high. Pre existing facilities are available and a deal IME. YMMV

4 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with this and having a space that’s reasonable for the vet to work in would be a top priority. I’ve had to take on doing my own hoof care due to a shortage of hoof care providers in our area so I’m aware of what I need to be comfortable doing so.

1 Like

This summer I’ve trail ridden weekly and had to scratch the one show I did enter. I am hoping to get in the show ring eventually though!

Short answer is -
If you have the time and money to make property B into what you want then clearly go with property B.
If you do not have the money (and assume twice what you have estimated) or the time (also assume twice as long as you estimated) to convert property B into what you want and these are the only two possible places to buy in your part of the world then buy property A.

Other things to consider -
These are likely not the only two options in the world. Shop until you find something else.
If you like property A have you asked around to see if there is an option to ride on neighboring properties, etc?

2 Likes

Yes that about sums it up! We will probably keep looking. But it’s been very helpful to get some perspectives and things to think about.

Properties like A with all the horse amenities don’t seem to come up too often in my area (and budget, after the Covid surge in prices). Either the house needs a lot of work, or the barn is little more than a shack, or the ring is too small to even be called a ring, or the well runs dry in the summer, or it’s in a flood plain, etc, etc. To be fair the house on property A does need a bit of work but I told DH what it needs costs a lot less than putting in a barn or ring lol.

That said it seems like the market is starting to correct so we’ll see what else comes up. I noticed a place down the road from B just sold for significantly less than original ask after sitting on the market for months so maybe B will come down as well. We are not in a rush so that helps.