Unlimited access >

Conformation Critique, Arab mare

Thank you Bluey, your words are heartfelt and come across as emotionally genuine.

I am naturally an enthusiastic and positive bleeding heart, but I need to make it clear that myself, my mom, and the others around her are all quite aware that her future is deeply uncertain. The club is obviously the least of her problems.

When we talked to the seller in-depth about her difficulties, and were up front about the immediate vet costs – let alone whatever lurks down the road – the seller made the deal with us to give her to us for free. “Rani” has impeccable ground manners, beautiful body condition, and it is clear the seller has cared about her. She made it clear that a good home was more important than money.

Ok, so now we have this sweet horse through no fault of her own is facing some medical hardships, who connected with us (a figure of my human sentimentality or not, I won’t postulate now), being offered for free and needing some attention to give her a soft place to land, at the very least.

There are a lot of factors that go into why a mare like this would or should be turned down and I totally get that. Fortunately for her, and maybe both fortunately and unfortunately for us (depending on your outlook on life), we happen to be in a situation where we can field the vet bills and aren’t attached to getting a riding partner out of it in the end.

Yeah, the original intent was looking for a horse to “replace” the recent DSLD-diagnosed gelding (bad word, he isn’t going anywhere but his saddle days are over for sure). So this is definitely not exactly that, or may be, depending on a lot that is out of our sight right now.

I guess I am trying to say that I am prepared for the heartbreak, and the potential bad news when the vet looks at her more closely this week, the decision to PTS now or sometime in the future, perhaps never riding her at all. I mentioned the prior needy souls to point out that we are not unfamiliar with this sort of thing, a thing that is shared by many if not most equestrians at some point or another. But here we were again presented with a horse in need, at a time when we can do it, weighed the options, and are proceeding.

And a personal riding horse isn’t a huge thing right now, my goals are simple, lay outside of competition, and I get along well enough with the schoolies at the barn. :blush:

So, the good luck wishes are appreciated. Hopefully we are picking her up tomorrow and the next plan is to get her to the clinic. Could be a happy story, or bittersweet as they tend to usually be, but either way there will be some good memories along the way. I intend to keep her story updated, here or on the other thread. Perhaps there will be some good info about managing melanomas and other stuff for those interested.

14 Likes

Decision made, now to look forward to reports of the adventure!

Do ask your vet about Oncept, it may be an option.

Our own vet used that on his horse and it kept at bay a sizable tumor on his back end.
Maybe that could be an option, if it is the only worrisome tumor.

6 Likes

I notice a contracted tendon on that right front to go along with the clubbing. Something to ask the vet about specifically along with the rest!
Good luck- I hope there is a manageable outcome.

1 Like

As I understand clubbing, the coffin bone is being pulled down due to an over-tight tendon. Is that the contraction you’re seeing, or is it something besides that?
Just wanna make sure I have all of the right questions for the vets. :slight_smile: Going to get radiographs of that foot if possible.

2 Likes

If nothing else, this thread demonstrates that there are good people still around.

I’m glad they gave her to you. I’m glad you took her. I hope for the best. Keep us posted with your adventures.

12 Likes

Best of luck she’s a pretty mare and do keep us updated on her progress!

2 Likes

Giving a needy Arabian mare a good home=very good Karma.

Do not give up all hope. When the most wonderful horse I had ever ridden–a Russian Arab gelding, went back to his original home my riding teacher asked me to help rehabilitate and elderly Arabian mare who was essentially frozen in place with arthritis.

Well, since I had told my riding teacher I would try and work with any horse that needed my help I sort of gulped, but I went ahead. The first few months it felt like she was going to collapse at any second when trotting. I gaited her (fox trot) to help her muscles and wind and we did that a few months. I found a supplement that worked well with her. I listened to everything that mare was “saying” about her body and I came up with a way to keep her going.

I rode that throw-away elderly crippled Arabian mare for several years, first in lessons then for “homework” rides. She never fell down, she never even stumbled badly. When stuff seemed to hard at first she reached deep down into her soul and kept on going, a true Arabian mare.

We got her sound and fit enough to serve as an “emergency” trail horse.

She is the ONLY horse that gave me two advanced dressage movements, the terre-a-terre and a croupade (both my fault, I did not loosen my reins enough for her desire at that moment.)

At times, just plodding around the ring I would end up transcendentally elated and happy just because I was riding this wonderful mare.

We retired her around 3 years ago. She “told” me that she was too old and tired, at around 33-35 years old, and I and my riding teacher listened to her.

Two or three years later she is STILL wandering around the farm, and excellent horse to introduce new mares into the mare band, and she keeps the retired geldings happy and content. Every winter we both worry she won’t make it through, and every Spring she is still there, shamelessly flirting with the geldings. She is so stiff and creaky now, but will walk to get close to her current “boyfriend” gelding.

Your new horse is an Arabian mare. There is no guarantee, but she could well surprise you with her grit and determination to survive, just like the crippled mare I brought back.

GOOD LUCK! (And never give up on an Arabian mare.)

13 Likes

Yes, that’s right but I have seldom seen the tendon that distinctly. It may just be the angle of the photo, I am not a vet.

@Jackie_Cochran thank you for sharing about your cherished mare, I was smiling just reading through that.

Rani made the journey here today, and has handled everything amazingly so far. I updated her other thread in Horse Care, since I’d like to detail her progress with the melanomas and it seems a little
more fitting over there — although hopefully I will have some good non-melanoma related updates to share, as well (and
maybe the mods will move the thread if it becomes too OT :sweat_smile:).

I don’t know how long we have with her, but that’s a broad fact of life we all too easily forget sometimes. I do know that I’ve fallen for her already.

7 Likes

What is her breeding?

She has the head of a high class Arab mare. I love how her jowl bones are WIDE leaving so much room for her wind pipe. You won’t be able to “strangle” this mare down!

@Jackie_Cochran Here is her pedigree: https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ah+sophia

:slight_smile: I am a big fan of her build, overall. But the best thing right now about this mare is how dang easy going she is. The way you hear some people talk about Padron, this is a bit unusual! But I don’t have much experience with that line.

1 Like

Great article on High/Low to help with that decision… she’s freaking adorable!
https://www.hoofrehab.com/HighLowHooves.htm

another great article on feeding for overall health as well as healthy feet
https://www.hoofrehab.com/Diet.html

2 Likes