Unlimited access >

Congress for College?

@Djones --goodness! I certainly didn’t want to offend --but, yes, to me @2DogsFarm was thought provoking --provoking thoughts in me of the many conversations I had with my three horse showing kiddos and granddaughter on the way to or from or at horse shows –

We are from a small rural community. How people manage what they manage is often a topic of conversation: how DID the Amish family afford 1.3 million for the !2 acres +house they bought at a public auction (I was there because the land boarders mine and I wanted to see who bought it). How DID the family with the massive horse trailer + LQ manage to acquire that toy?

When young, the kiddos would talk about “making a living,” showing horses --gradually, with endless discussions of how horse people afford things (buy not buying other things, not taking vacations, working hard) the kiddos realized that making a living with horses was difficult if not impossible --rare exceptions being the vet, farrier, and horse dentist.

Eventually one kiddo was talented enough and had a (lucky buy) horse talented enough (and parents with enough free time to accompany her) --to make it into the uppermost levels of 3-Day. Rubbing elbows and talking to the mega stars in that discipline, the kiddo learned that talent isn’t enough --one needs $$$$ and a lot of it.

There was a final discussion of taking a year off school to “go pro” --but when the kiddo crunched the numbers (old enough to do that herself) she realized that she couldn’t make it work – she sold her horse to pay for law school. She still rides although not at the upper levels --not enough time and $$.

Her decision came about because we THOUGHT ABOUT and TALKED ABOUT how people afford a horse hobby. And it wasn’t just “our friends” we talked about --it was some of the biggest names in 3-Day --how DID Ian Stark afford to fly his horse from Scotland to the US on a regular basis?

Anyway —once again --ok with me if you think it’s weird to wonder about why people do what they do and with what they have —I think it is interesting conversation. --Oh, dear, maybe I’m weird! LOL.

3 Likes

I constantly wonder how most people spend what they do whether they are horse people or not!! We talk about that a lot (both horse and non-horse people LOL). We are in the upper middle class band and seem to live a lot smaller (even with a horse) than those we know that make less, especially when they have kids on top of it.

1 Like

Um, so I guess I am the outlier here…

But I wrote my law school essay about how I took a backyard barrel racing horse who had never seen a jump to winning at Congress, and I got into Harvard Law. So I guess it can help!

But it is a big leap from 4H to winning at Congress. I was a working student in a big jumper barn, and we did very well on the A circuit long before we went to Congress. Just going is nothing, anyone can pay the entry fees and go.

Also, I was a good student.

I will say you can’t compare the entry fees for one show, which aren’t that high (or weren’t at the time) to saving for college. Consider it a vacation. The shopping is great. I also went with my state youth team back in the day when I knew I wasn’t competitive to do Youth Team (NYATT thing where you qualify a team from your state) in reining. It’s a lot of fun, and most people who go know they aren’t going to win.

5 Likes

Doing well (top 10) at a large show like the Congress will certainly be an asset on a college resume when trying to get on a team however, consistent success at regional shows for a long period of time hold more weight.
A coach is looking for a kid who can ride consistently well under pressure.
Sure there’s a difference between 4H and the Congress. I’m not suggesting local backyard horse shows but there’s also no reason from a college standpoint to show at the Congress unless you think you can win it.

This info is coming from a horse trainer who works for a breeders who’s daughter was a college coach. :wink:

With all that said, there’s nothing like the Congress. Every quarter horse girls dream is a medallion and a top 10 jacket.

2 Likes

As these things go, Congress is not the top example of stupidly expensive shows in stupidly expensive locations. Just sayin…

But it is an Event a family could enjoy even if they know they aren’t in it to win it. Rather like a friend of mine who qualified and sent her AKC stud to Westminster several years running without ever getting out of the preliminaries. Its something you want to experience and enjoy.

3 Likes

So I don’t see how Congress is connected to college at all in this family’s mind.

Ok, this is the post that explains things to me.

@2DogsFarm has in the past posted about having a small driving community and about interpersonal stresses in that group of friends or frenemies. I think I recall one person being mean mouthed, another one making really unsafe choices about harness.

Buried in this post is the complaint that granny talks the talk about wanting to do competitive driving but in reality all the time and money are spent on grand daughter including enabling this big once in a lifetime Big Show extravaganza where grand daughter may or may not be competitive.

This makes me think the grumble is really about Granny ducking her own competition efforts and not being willing to walk the walk.

I think it is true and totally understandable that parents and grandparents sideline their own hobbies to support their children. I don’t have kids. I went back to riding in my 40s. But I’m totally aware that if I had kids, I’d be a pony club mom driving my daughters to lessons. And if I had grand kids, ditto.

It’s wonderful to have a sustaining hobby in middle age and early old age. But I also know that it’s early experience that is really formative. If the grand daughter is really thrilled about trying Congress then it’s a wonderful thing to do for her. Kids really do grow up fast, you have maybe at best a ten year window for focused riding before they leave for college and step away from horses.

Anyhow, I wasn’t on the show track as a teen or as an adult, but if I had a child that was, I’d fund it to the extent I could afford while keeping an eye on sportsmanship. And if the kid was more a trail rider type I’d get some great back country trips in.

And I would never fault a parent or grandparent for putting the child first.

The college thing is a red herring. It doesn’t sound like the family is doing this for admission points. And honestly a child with average grades isn’t getting a merit scholarship anywhere, and most equestrian teams don’t provide significant funding.

I’m sure the family has a plan for post secondary. Daughter might live at home, attend community college, transfer to an affordable state college, and end up with a perfectly respectable career. Not everyone wants or needs to go away to a high priced top tier college.

2 Likes

You for the Reserve.
Mostly agree, and yeah I’ve met some “types” in the Driving community here.

But the Congress for College idea came from another Club member close to the family.
And came when it was mentioned ( not by me) that grandma might miss a big annual Club event to be at Congress.
I was curious to know if it could be a thing that would affect a college app for a non-horsey college.
As a grad of Chgo Art Institute, I know the resume of my HS work was an integral part of my application. But that was a specific type of college.

Maybe it’s the annual desire Grandma expresses to “show big” , coupled with the fact that I know I can provide her that experience.
One I’ve had & loved & know she would too.
But, as you say granddaughter will be making her own choices soon enough.
That’s Life.

Thanks & I think this thread has supplied all I wanted to know :wave:

I used to live in Ohio and used to go to Congress every year to spectate. I have a friend who would go down to compete in jumpers and would do very well. Just an ordinary person with a talented QH that she trained. I knew several ordinary people that would go down to compete in western pleasure who were not wealthy by any means.

2 Likes

I got the chance to show at Congress back in 1997. I had a good horse, we’d proven ourselves in our state’s AQHA shows, I had a group of people who wanted me to show and were willing to help me get there, so I went and showed. Didn’t “win” anything, but wound up a finalist in one class, which was good enough for me.

It’s still one of my most cherished memories. I’m so glad I got the opportunity to do it. Expensive? Yes. But so worth it. We knew it was probably a once-in-a-lifetime deal though.

4 Likes

Put together a team to go and compete in the youth team competition? That’s what my friends did.

To follow up on this.

The NYATT classes are fun, huge and the majority of the kids entered are not on horses that are very competitive in the other youth classes at Congress. It is a very very cool experience for all of the kids. The teams are open to any Quarter Horse club so you have regional clubs and even racing organizations sponsoring teams. There is a huge parade and a ceremony.

3 Likes

It’s a wonderful experience for kids. Highly recommend!!

Going to Congress, facing the pressure to find out if you can rise to the occasion and like the scrutiny, aspiring to near-perfect; there certainly is some value to go for that experience. But - going is usually not enough to get the attention of NCEA coaches; you need to be winning at that level, or at least getting into TOP TEN to get on their radar during their sophomore and junior year - that works for Western Horsemanship or Reining riders. If you are an English - Hunt Seat Eq rider, save your money. Coaches rarely look at Congress for their next HS class; they recruit from the Medal finals - Talent Search shows - completely different style of riding, leg and seat position, how you frame the horse - you might be wasting g’ma’s money at Congress if riding HS.

Think about trying the College Prep shows, esp for HS riders, held in different parts of the country, where riders ‘draw’ for the horse they will show on, that’s been trained and schooled correctly to give the best opportunity to demonstrate their skill level; see their website. Or sign up for a ‘camp’ at schools you are interested in - if they offer one, but sign up early. And - have the RIDER and parent check out the school websiteTop schools fill up fast. Good luck!

Thanks for this input.
Kid will be taking her new horse & (I assume) showing in both WP & Huntseat, as that’s what she enters in the local shows.
I don’t know if they are aware of the College Prep shows, if there are any of these in our area (Midwest), or if there are, they choose not to enter for whatever reason.
I’ll see Grandma this week & will mention the CP shows.

I’m just going to add that there are a few schools out there who give at least partial scholarships for IHSA.

It is not only NCAA.

Very true - and many of the top IHSA schools send their coaches and / or admission officers to the College Prep shows to recruit for their programs. While the IHSA-only schools may not offer the same athletic scholarships as NCEA programs, many of those club teams are able to put together an excellent mix of financial aid, academic scholarships, work study and Pell grants to help offset costs of going to school. Definitely worth looking into

1 Like

And don’t forget judging program scholarships as well. :slight_smile: