Unlimited access >

Copper Meadows Horse Trials - No more

Yes it sure does. That event still ran after all that, didn’t it?

1 Like

It’s still unclear if that unwarranted public shaming will have a lasting impact once the current contracts run out. The land owner clearly was very hurt and offended by how it all went down.

1 Like

one of the people who started that no longer works for USEA so that might appease them lol

1 Like

Still running. Under its original name.

2 Likes

I know.

Doesn’t change what happened though, and what could still be a potential result. The owner was not a happy camper, all due to unappreciative know-nothings and their running mouths.

2 Likes

The only issue is if they aren’t recognized they technically do not have to use proper course designers which can be a concern.

If you’re a points chaser, you’ll want to only do recognized events. I really could care-less about points, I would love to just have the option of good events to have fun at, that are safe. I think I would be picky with where I would choose to go, but Ottawa I believe is doing unsanctioned this year for this reason. It’s why Glen Oro has less events and more “schooling events” as its so expensive due to EC.

What does EC do for all of us?

2 Likes

I wonder if the complaining is a Millennial thing. A 25-30 year old LL trainer complained to me recently that 1. the local horse park banned riding in the field when it was muddy when she wanted to do hill work and 2. the local Pony Club didn’t groom those fields. In addition to being contradictory (don’t ride when it’s wet and the tracks won’t wind up with 4-6 inch divots requiring epic grooming), I pointed out that both relied on volunteers and volunteer equipment and asked if she would like to volunteer her time/gas/farm tractor to aid in grooming said surfaces (no). When she and her teenaged client then whined in chorus about the lack of ground crew at the schooling event (have you ever volunteered? (no)) I walked away.

1 Like

I think you mean Oakhurst, not Ottawa. I know they got a big NO from EC about hosting a schooling level (grasshopper) along side their normal event. I’m sure that came into play. I see Stevens Creek held one anyways, I think they may have gotten a slap on the wrist for it.

EC really tries to restrict is hosts from hosting other schooling events.

Good question, what do they do?

The complaint in my post was from 1998 LOL. Don’t think its an age thing.

9 Likes

Just one bad apple can ruin a cart. Not sure if it is generation specific.

A few years ago there was a FB rant/campaign that resulted in the permanent closure of a fixture event in Area 1. The main gripe was the venue’s last minute decision to cancel the event because of unprecedented rain fall. They did not refund competitors, because most of the expenses to run the event were still there regardless of cancellation.

That person was not a millennial.

4 Likes

I stand corrected.:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

“The owner was a rich white conservative who was butthurt and uncomfortable with the idea that his event venue’s name has racist connotations.”

Fixed it for you.

18 Likes

“The mouthy, arrogant public has no appreciation for the history of the property, or the land owner.”

Got it.

8 Likes

Not to mention, the offending word means a lot more things that the offended thought it did. A little bit of context would have avoided the whole thing.

7 Likes

The whole situation was just… disgusting. People suck, and almost blew it (and might still have, the hammer really has yet to drop).

2 Likes

Cool, calling minorities and their allies mouthy and arrogant is a GREAT way to mend racial tensions.
:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

If you’re referring to the fact that the word “plantation” can mean “a group of trees,” I’ll also remind you that the word “fag” can mean “a bunch of sticks.” I’m sure there’s an etymologist on here that can provide you with more information, if you want.

Or you can just keep insisting that a word that has never personally affected you or your white peers is perfectly okay, despite the fact that it still is a solid reminder of centuries of oppression and marginalization to those who don’t share your skin color. Your choice.

15 Likes

Trying to continue down the “but but but RACISM” path instead of admitting it was handled poorly with no knowledge or regard to the actual property history… yeah that’s a good look.

Say it slow: “we were wrong”

Nah, that’s not the MO of today. Double down! Keep digging! Get louder! Make up more lies!

10 Likes

Do we really have to derail this thread with the whole debate on that situation?

14 Likes

Interesting example of how context informs whether a word is offensive. It’s actually “faggot” that means a bunch of sticks (or, apparently, a certain type of meatball in the UK) and “fag” that is slang for “cigarette” in the UK. “Fag” is still widely used there and is not considered offensive, though it is jarring to American ears.

6 Likes