Unlimited access >

Couple adopted dog, now it has major issues

It all depends on the pup in question. Even people who have had dogs successfully for decades on end can have that certain one that can make you question everything you thought you knew.

Happened to my Aunt & Uncle recently and they were home with the pup all day, everyday. They did get through and it was a learning experience and the dog is a joy now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

She is ridiculously cute. And a true combination of incredibly sweet and at the same time very feisty. I wouldn’t call her high energy but she just has opinions lol

12 Likes

This one cracks me up. Sometimes she is totally a cuddly miniature schnauzer and other day she’s definitely a Parson Terrier!

10 Likes

Oh my, she is so adorable!

2 Likes

In this situation, I think the only morally responsible action is for the rescue to take the dog back. It was obviously a poor match from the start - and most reputable rescues are in it for the long haul with their charges.

6 Likes

Dogs in general require some degree of adapting the household to accommodate the dog. Senior dogs can also be a lot of work…no, they don’t chew everything they can get in their mouths, but bladder and bowel control can be a problem, plus arthritic joints may need extra care and maintenance.

All of the dogs I’ve had have made it to at least their early teens, and I had an American Cocker who soldiered on until age 21. This is when things can get expensive, and I think a lot of people don’t take that into consideration. My Cocker developed diabetes when he was 14, and my life literally revolved around managing his shots and diet. We (meaning dog lovers) make these adaptations willingly because we love them, but more than once I declined offers of holiday beach trips and the like because “I really can’t be taking out of town vacations until the dog dies”. It wasn’t so much that I couldn’t get care for him; my mom lived around the block and would often make an evening trip to give Oscar shots and dinner and take him out if I had to work late. But I would have worried if I couldn’t keep a constant eye on him.

I hope a good foster takes this poor pup in and can turn things around for her.

3 Likes

I took in over two dozen foster dogs before I had kids. Every rescue I worked with had a “required return” clause in the contract.
Myself, personally, was not required to take them back, but I would have - in a heart beat. I only had one returned - after one day.

The rescue needs to take the dog back in, send it to its best at-home foster person they have and undo the damage. The pup is still young enough it can be done - but it takes effort and patience and knowledge.

Also, I swear by the Susan Garrett dog training method. That woman is dog zen and has the materials available to fix about every issue imaginable. But, like horses, there are no quick fixes.

5 Likes