Court date for Michael Barisone?

I have not seen My Cousin Vinny.

You must! If Iā€™m channel-surfing, I always stop to see Marisa Tomeiā€™s expert testimony. One of the best courtroom scenes evah.

27 Likes

That is essential.

As is the scene in which Marisa Tomei says ā€œYeah, you blend.ā€

My fellow Yankee expatriates have been quoting that one ever since the movie was released.

11 Likes

Count me as another who has not seen Vinny. Iā€™ll have to look for a way to get where I am. Iā€™m intrigued!

I was involved in document review for the joint defense of a bank in Enron-related litigation. There were 90 million documents produced for the responsive period. As mentioned, tons of duplicates and a lot of email with long chains. Each new email in a chain produced a separate multipage document!

The other firm had their own building down in the Wall St. area. They had a vacant floor. That whole floor was set up with rented tables, computers, and printers. An army of contract attorneys printed, collated, numbered, and did first review for privilege, etc. It was honestly like an Orwellian nightmare walking into that space.

Then stuff worked its way up through the various teams to my firmā€™s team which did final review. The cost of use of the entire floor of prime Manhattan real estate (even steeply discounted) plus rental equipment and contract attorneysā€™ salaries exceeded USD 1 million/month. Then our time billed on top of that. The attorney who ran the whole thing practically lived there and the year I was involved he was on track to bill over 3000 hours that year. And you cannot bill all the hours you are there. He basically spent 12-15 hours/day 6-7 days a week in his makeshift office on that floor. It was madness!!

10 Likes

My favorite quote is

ā€œImagine youā€™re a deah. Youā€™re prancin through the fahrest, and you see a brook. You put ya little deah lips down to the cool, clear watah, and, BLAM! Ya brains are in pieces all over the fahrest floah. Now I ax ya. Would you give a shit what the son of a bitch who shotcha was wearin?ā€

16 Likes

I have so many questions about this.

2 Likes

Iā€™m behind a bit (trying to catch up but I lost the plot on the original thread awhile ago).

Do we actually think MB is trying to go for an insanity defense with this civil case? Or are they missing some vital evidence that this civil case then allows them to find? Or is it sheer probable doubt that they are going for, by exposing the degree of dysfunction that has happened, making MB a more sympathetic case to the jury?

When I read the civil complaint it reads like a terrible script for Jersey Shore and makes me happy that though Iā€™ve experienced barn drama, it never got that bad.

Well if nothing else, it calls into question any testimony of events told by the cops. Who knew what happened? Lk? Who fabricates the most mundane aspects of her life? The BF? Who is her lackey in everything (see her most recent public description of how she plans to manipulate him on her personal page). M B? Who canā€™t, or isnā€™t saying. Or the cops, who not only werent there, but arguably are in cahoots with her version of things for weeks up to the event, and who can not say anything about the event itā€™s self. It may read like a bad self published story, but the utter stupidity of it calls up reasonable doubt, if itā€™s largely documented, which it looks like his description of their negligence, favoritism, laziness, and disregard for his well being and their own procedure is largely documented. There may even be other cases similar to his corroborating his assertion about these police. There may not be a whole lot of believable testimony left in any of these cases.

5 Likes

Did LK and her BF get married? (No, it is not any of my business really, just curious.)

Recently calls him fiance, on her public page.

Spouses canā€™t be forced to testify about personal discussions - right? Or can they be called, deemed a hostile witness and be compelled to give yes/no answers or something?

3 Likes

I think the insanity defense is for explaining why he canā€™t remember what happened and to expose the mind games/threats from LK.

It isnā€™t simply that he just wanted her off the property and so he shot her when she wouldnā€™t leaveā€¦he was under psychological attack from her and had no way to get reliefā€¦ā€¦

10 Likes

As pointed put, I donā€™t think the insanity defense is mentioned, just the explanation of why he canā€™t remember the event itā€™s self being attributed to trauma. He may well say his defense is self defense. He may say his intention was defense against the dog. He may well say he never brought a gun to the fight at all. I donā€™t think we know his defense. Do we?

6 Likes

I doubt he would testify truthfully about LK regardless of marital status.

7 Likes

Not really. And my understanding of New Jersey law is that they do their best to make ā€œself defenseā€ something that is almost an impossible legal burden to meet.

1 Like

So he was charged with first degree attempted murder. If this establishes instead that it was ā€œin a fit of passionā€, then that makes it more likely that itā€™s attempted manslaughter. But they only charged him with first degree according to what Iā€™ve read, which DOES require a full intent to kill with the mindset of doing so, so if they can establish that he either didnā€™t bring the gun OR that he was not in his right mind, then he thenā€¦gets off? They canā€™t charge him with attempted manslaughter unless it was in the original complaint (to my understanding) and they canā€™t charge him with it later. Good move by his lawyers. (If I understand all of this correctly)

Okā€¦so then LK has the weird civil suit that says guns are dangerous and shouldnā€™t have been around the barn, which I canā€™t imagine has any standing in the US at all but is probably some attempt at punishment because she must know that the first degree convictions may not stick.

And MBā€™s suit about the police department may not amount to much, except to establish doubt.

Am I missing anything else?

2 Likes

Really?
It seems to me that it is not rare that what someone is originally charged with is not what they are finally convicted of.
Does NJ have some special law?

No, but the suit has to name the charges against, and if attempted manslaughter isnā€™t listed, they have to amend the complaint or they canā€™t ask for it later. I have no idea if that is automatically a lesser included offense in NJ or not.

You canā€™t get relief you donā€™t ask forā€¦

1 Like

Usually they will name the first complaint but must include the lesser charges (or amend, as LilRanger notes), which is why you see people indicted for like 14 different charges that all sound like the same thing. I thought, though I could be wrong, that most of the time the degree can change, but the ā€œtypeā€ cannot. So, you could be convicted of 2nd degree if the charge was first degree, but you could not be convicted of attempted manslaughter which is a different type of complaint.

Then you canā€™t be charged again for the same crime because of the double jeopardy rules.

Itā€™s a fascinating game of chess.

8 Likes

I could be wrong, but isnā€™t that usually because they take a plea to a lesser offense?