Coyote barking at me?

Sigh. Back at the barking today. This time our German shepherd started going over the yard fence to get to Wiley. This is not going to work :slightly_frowning_face: Best way to get her to move along?

I’ve read air horns work.

1 Like

Haze him:

3 Likes

It’s not impossible that she has pups around there; they might be starting to range around and that has her expanding her territory thoughts. I would defend “my” territory in this scenario, not by shooting her or anything but noises, let the dogs bark but not ever chase her, be loud, answer her barks with a NO or loud noise of your choice. I’m kind of a weirdo I guess but if she hasn’t been causing you any problems thus far I’d teach her to stay in her own yard and out of yours. If a coyote didn’t cause us problems we let them stay around; we’ve had them trot on by cats and chickens in the pastures and those we didn’t haze away. If they are good neighbors to us we return the favor. Keep your dogs close though, it’s tempting for them to chase and then things get messy. If you have pets around that she might pick off or teach the pups to hunt on though you might want to be more forceful about it. YMMV

This is so interesting, I’ve never observed one actually barking like yours. What time of day do you see the coyote?

2 Likes

I watched a female golden retriever drive a coyote off of her property. She was merciless. Kept nipping at its rear end until it finally broke into a dead out run and left.

2 Likes

One full moon night, after picking out stalls and heading to the manure pile I heard coyotes howling fairly close by. Their howls pulled at my heartstrings and I gleefully joined in. I howled with unrestrained human passion and angst. To my chagrin, it shut them right up.

13 Likes

My starter pistol was fairly successful in driving off one in the dark that was very close to the house (on the other side of the fence) with my 3 dogs barking at it. (I suspect it was the same coyote but can’t confirm because of the darkness) They are pretty loud, and I like that they sound like a gun (rather than an airhorn) in the event they’ve heard one before.

This is not a mother with puppies - she would not be drawing attention to them. This is likely a young male looking to form a pack.

The one near me did not find 3 dogs of similar size to be any deterrent - it followed us home 2x and the 2nd time stood at the corner of my pasture and continued to bark for 10 minutes. My horses even got a little concerned and ran back into the barn (I couldn’t see what happened, so possibly it lunged at them?) That was the day the hunter took the shot - it stayed there so long that he was able to drive over and still get a shot in.

Again - I’m cool with coyotes - we hear them every day. This is not cool.

2 Likes

So far nothing I’ve done just myself has worked (yelling/waving arms/sounding like a wild animal myself :laughing:). Definitely need to step up my game!

Yesterday was about 3pm when it was barking again - and actually came closer to the yard when my dog was out and barking like she meant it. She’s an 85 lb German Shepherd so not worried about her beyond not wanting her to run away or get into a fight with a coyote with distemper or rabies. The other 2 times were both early evening, like 7-8pm.

This is where I am right now. S/he is causing me problems at this point because s/he is approaching the dogs in the yard and barking at them! I thought it was a female based on how she squatted to pee but for all I know they all squat like that and this is a male who has a crush on the german shepherd :roll_eyes:

1 Like

She’s an 85 lb German Shepherd

we have one of those also, the coyotes think she is one of them but once we got the much larger Great Pyrenees (who has earned the named Barky) we have no coyotes around since they gave up hearing that dog bark at any and everything…there was no peace for them so they moved on

2 Likes

In your shoes, I’d have a longe whip at the ready and a plan to put the dog up when the barking starts (unless she has a VERY VERY good recall?) Walk toward that coyote with purpose, snapping the whip and yelling. An air horn or something else loud works too, but I have a longe whip in the barn and not an air horn, lol. The whip does have the advantage, too, of making you bigger. Move toward the coyote until it LEAVES…not just moves away a bit. Like S1969, my read on this one you have here is a curious youngster, not a mom with babies.

Having a dog give chase can be very helpful–I’ve found these bold young coyotes are generally more wary of my dog than they are of me–but the dog has to have the training that they chase ONLY when you say and they come back AS SOON AS you call. If your dog doesn’t have those buttons installed, put her up.

3 Likes

I still think female based on the long squatting pee, pups or no pups. A male would be marking around IMO.

@awaywego when I experienced a coyote with similar behavior, I sent the video to an urban wildlife biologist friend. Friend said it was likely an aunt guarding a den while also communicating to the mom coyote that there was a threat near the pups.

Like another said, my experience was earlier in the season. But maybe it’s a similar scenario. That coyote and yours move off when pressured more strongly, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

You will know a rabid or hand-fed animal when you encounter one.

1 Like

I missed the squatting to pee part. Hmm. Could be a female, then, I guess. And pups would be about 8-10 weeks now so out of the den and exploring…maybe vulnerable.

If it is barking when you approach, then maybe she is trying to warn you off. If it’s following you and barking, I’m not sure (that was our experience - and it was over about a half mile.)

I like the longe whip idea, makes a lot of sense. Neither dog has a recall I can trust when their hackles are up :upside_down_face:

Fingers crossed we get peace back in the kingdom soon.

1 Like

More often, coyotes howl or yip, but they can bark too.

Coyote behavior has certainly changed over the years.

Once upon a time my parents never worried about one getting a calf. Now they do. Have lost very few over the years to coyotes, but it’s happened. The coyotes are more bold, they come closer, and they want an easy meal when they can get it if mamma cow is not paying attention. They might not “lure” but they’ll go for it if they are hungry enough. And we sure have plenty of coyotes in North Dakota, and they are hungry after a long winter!

When I lived in Arizona, I was told you NEVER let your dog outside alone unattended at night. Or the coyotes will get them. Maybe they don’t “lure” in the sense we call it, but they eat meat and dogs are meal too. And perhaps a larger dog is obviously more difficult for them to take down than a smaller one.

I figure if they are willing to get a newborn calf, I don’t see why they wouldn’t try to get a dog. (or cat, or chicken, rabbit, etc etc)

1 Like

Accurate. Assuming you replied to me because I said the luring was a myth. It is. However if they can get a smaller dog they absolutely will eat them. But the myth of one coyote getting a dog to chase it so that the pack can surround it is just plain flat not true.

4 Likes

So that they could keep an eye on the humans? Wonder where they buy them and what they use for money. :upside_down_face:
(Sorry. Couldn’t resist).

18 Likes

In Phoenix Desert Parks, there are verified instances of coyotes attacking and taking away small dogs on leashes that are longer than 6 feet. In one instance I know of, the woman have a small, fluffy dog that was on a retractable leash, and was about 15 to 20 feet out. The coyote grabbed the dog, they played tug-of-war for a minute and the coyote managed to pull little fluffy out of her collar. The owner did not see fluffy again.

If you really want to protect from coyotes I would recommend a shotgun. What you do is you take the shot out of the shells and replace the shot with rocksalt. It will not really injure the animal, but it will hurt like hell. They will respect you and stay away at least if they see the gun.

A gal that was an old friend of mine (we’ve since lost touch) when she was married to her first husband, they had a small garage in a not so great part of town. They had issues with a pimp who kept causing problems and harassing them. They reported him lots and lots of times but it just never did really any good.

This pimp came in and started giving her a hard time. I don’t remember all that went down (I think he had a knife) but she eventually wound up shooting him in the nuts with a rock salt load. She didn’t aim for there, she was handicapped and couldn’t hold the gun up high enough.

When the cops saw him writhing on the ground, they asked her what he was shot with. And when she told them that that was just rock salt, all they did was just tell him to shut up.

Finally, she had a new husband and a different job at a garage for a Cadillac dealership. One day that same pimp drove in with his caddy. She came out to take his information, he took one look at her and drove out as fast as he could. The guy just peeled out.

7 Likes

I think coyotes are smart enough to figure out how to get edibles/threats to chase them into a kill zone. Tricksters.

3 Likes