Coyote barking at me?

older daughter had to run a huge coyote out of the drive yesterday with her Jeep, the thing was not about to get out of her way, she said she was ready to go off roading after the thing

then neighbor sent game camera photos of the pack of coyotes that were checking the horses out last night

3 Likes

How does your Pyrenees handle the heat down there in Texas?

The heat really did not harm her, however she did develop a fondness for her kennel in the AC. She does sleep most of the day (mid morning to mid afternoon) when she is not guarding Her sidewalks from the numerous dog walkers/school kids

Last night she has been on all night guard duty as this is what was caught on the cameras yesterday morning at 5AM

She Will Bark At Anything Real or Imagined. Maybe in a more rural environment a Great Pyrenees would be quieter but here, it is barking nearly none stop

We have not lost any of our grand kids’ goats to the coyotes however neighbor has has several babies taken (As well as numerous small dogs having been nearly taken from their owners hands) Surprisingly there are still baby rabbits around, but those are hanging out closely to the horses primarily as a shield against the hawks.

Would I another Great Pyrenees, most likely not. The barking is nearly continuous. They require a lot of human interaction for them to socialize otherwise they (well at least ours) can be very independent becoming stand-offish trusting only themselves.

However, we have do not have a to be greatly concerned about the coyotes

5 Likes

Wow, good girl. Pat, pat pat on the head.
Well, there you have 3 coyotes together to add to the observations others have made about behavior.

I’ve read Pyrenees are best for acreages that are large and well separated from neighbors (because of the barking).

Also read that guarding dog breeds that work solo are independent because they make their own decisions. Some label them hard to train or stubborn.

RE: heat. I had a Samoyed, also a barker, and resistant to training. She would lie down on ice patches with her hind legs splayed so her stomach was fully exposed to the ice. She’d also lie in the snow and let it cover her. Well camouflaged, except in the summer.

1 Like

there were actually four, the fourth was seen in the grouping however that photo inadvertently was deleted

yes she knows she did well last night as she proudly showed her coat covered in dry leaves, she was ready for a rest this morning (giving the sidewalkers a break from her welcoming observations)

3 Likes

Pic pretty please?

2 Likes

woke up from guard duty at front fence waiting for some one/some dog to step on Her sidewalk

8 Likes

Oh she is beautiful. :two_hearts:

She has an intelligent and slightly skeptical look on her face.

And I bet her fur is an absolute magnet for young kids to grab and bury themselves in.

Wish I had a picture to share of my Samoyed, but that was too many years back from my childhood.

2 Likes

actually she does not Like little kids nor really any big kids unless she knows them which does take time and at Her own pace -very independent dogs that she is,

She is not anything like the Golden Retriever we have whose tail starts wagging at the Hope of kid coming around. (Golden is a trained emotional support dog who enjoyed her jobs)

The Great Pyrenees (her name is Phoenix, but responds to Fluffy or Barky) fur is a magnet for Leaves, Dirt (loose or clumps), Sticks. When she is bathed drying her does requires a long time under the drier

She is Big, about four inches taller than our German Shepherd… but most of the Bigness is her hair as she weighs about 60 pounds which is less than the GSD. (Her Bark is of a much greater sized dog)

4 Likes

My trainer is also a breeder of Great Pyrenees; she currently has eight or nine, living in the house and spending days outside in her yard. LOTS of barking. I’m glad I don’t live nearby.

2 Likes

A friend just told us his daughter came back from a week taking care of her daughter and year old baby.
They have a Great Pyrenees for two years now that has been a wonderful dog, but a week ago she heard the baby crying and found the dog had baby by the head.
She fought dog over the baby, got baby loose and dog then jumped on her.
Right then husband came home and got dog off her and took her and baby to the hospital.
They both will be ok, dog is in quarantine now, bite cases are, in case they have rabies.

They are heartbroken that such happened and with their before always wonderful dog.
The breed is not known for being aggressive?

2 Likes

I know nothing about the breed and I am sure it is all about management and training… but my neighbor’s great Pyrenees absolutely savagely attacked my aged lab on our property. I have no doubt they would have killed him if my husband wasn’t able to break it up.

That said these dogs are nearly feral, no training, no fence, I am not sure if the owners actually feed them to be honest. So probably not a fair representation of the breed, but I think any “guardian dog” has the potential to be aggressive.

And yes… they bark… alot.

But of course!

1 Like

I’ve read air horns work.

They don’t, at least not in my area. I had a bold coyote in my field a couple of years back that just sat and stared at me when I blasted the air horn.

1 Like

I’ve faced a bold coyote (and bear). In my experience, it’s all about commitment. It’s a stand off and you must be confident and bold. Mind you, I would have much preferred to have offered to have taken the bear to a local eatery and bought it a fruit pastry, but c’est la vie!

2 Likes

I’ve chased off plenty of coyotes, yes I know how to be confident and bold. This one just did not care.

1 Like