Unlimited access >

Coyotes again!

Well, not from NC or SC, but my new boy came up from Alabama last Sunday - there were 50 applications for him specifically. I assume there were a similar number for the other dogs that arrived. The rescues in NE do an excellent job of rehoming the dogs they pull from the shelters in the south.

Probably why I can’t find a dog. I knew they pull them from the south ,all the shelters here are empty but for pit bulls.
I so want a dog, very sad

Pit bulls aren’t dogs?

2 Likes

If you want a dog make a road trip to Alabama. The shelters are full of dogs. People are trying to give them away on Facebook because they don’t want the puppies or the dog was dumped at their house and they can’t take anymore and the rescues are overwhelmed. Some are pit bulls, some are crosses but many are not. A friend had 3 dumped at her house but she has already rescued 6 dogs and could not take on anymore. The rescues were full so she had to take them to Chilton County Humane Society. All are young dogs, friendly and not people or dog aggressive. They need a home before euth date! Nobody spays or neuters so there is an endless supply.

Or connect with one of the organizations that bring street dogs from Puerto Rico in for adoption on the mainland. I had a friend who was very active in this. https://www.travelandleisure.com/animals/puerto-rico-street-sato-dogs

Not everyone wants a 70lb muscle bound terrier. Pitbulls take experienced owners - if someone doesn’t want one, or doesn’t like them, they shouldn’t be guilted into getting one.

There are 3 of them in my immediate family, so don’t take that as I’m anti-pitbull. But there’s a reason the shelters are flooded with them, and it isn’t strictly overbreeding. They’re a lot of dog.

• standard disclaimer, yes every dog is an individual and you might have a couch potato pitbull. The statements made are general but will hold true more often than not. The high strung, typical terrier pitbulls are either a) owned by someone who knows what they’re doing so you hardly notice it or b) in the shelter
6 Likes

I agree with this (as a pit bull owner).

I did smile at @SharonA1’s post because it did make a good point, not so much that people should get a pit bull but that you can not say that there are no dogs, just pit bulls because pit bulls are a dog.

1 Like

We recently lost on old dog, and our neighbors have lost several dogs recently. I was use to those little yotes you see in CA. I moved to MT and the first one I saw was wondering through the hay pivot. I really thought it was someone’s lost dog. My husband wasn’t impressed. They are considered pests around here. They don’t bug out horses (that I know of) and we have 2 heelers that patrol the property. I would really like to get a larger guardian breed.

We have to worry more about big cats. A horse we have was attacked by a mountain lion right in town. Just rambling.

NE rescues bring dogs from the south because it is widely known that not neutering or spaying in the south is rampant, and strays are a real problem. The NE rescues are saving the dogs and finding them good homes. I have two wonderful dogs that came from Chattanooga.

That is true, and you make a good point; the OP’s prior experience was with a 90-lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that the OP would sic on the coyotes, not with a 70-lb muscle-bound terrier.

2 Likes

First - you and your horses should be fine. I worry more about a nasty racoon than a coyote.

The coyotes in my area don’t go after horses, ponies, goats etc. A 30 year old horse should be fine. Horses don’t need to run from coyotes to be safe. Coyotes have other easier prey, like my ducks :sleepy: wild rabbits, mice etc. They are incredibly adaptable.

If you want to scare them away I’d go with an air horn. Or maybe “blanks” from a gun. Of course everything I’ve learned about “blanks” comes from TV. :wink:

Don’t worry about my ducks, no coyote problems since I got my donkeys. We did have to put an injured coyote out of it’s misery when I first got the donkeys. I think the coyote was used to just trotting by the horses on it’s way to duck dinner. The donkeys had other thoughts.

2 Likes

They are but I wouldn’t want one to guard my livestock. If you get the wrong one it would be worse than any coyote.

We have tons of coyotes. While I have never seen one in my pastures we sure hear them and they are really close. In 14 years of raising goats/ sheep I have never lost one to a predator and I don’t have a LGD in with them.

I wouldn’t worry about them bothering your horses .

4 Likes

My husband hung a coyote he shot a couple years back from a tree to test out that theory - it worked! Shortly after the coyote was hung we watched a coyote come near, it stopped, smelling the air in the direction of the deceased - and split. It seemed to keep them away for about a year. The coyotes are allowed to travel on the bottom of our property but if they come close to the house where the chickens / cats and small dogs are they get shot. They seem to figure that out pretty quickly and stay away.

This is hard for ME to believe because I can’t find a single documented source. Nova Scotia, a woman was mauled and succumbed to her injuries many years ago, and a woman was bit in Yellowstone (unknown which part) but was not killed.

2 Likes

I believe the coyote(s) that mauled the woman in NS were found to be coyote/wolf hybrid(s), so not your typical garden variety coyote.

I didn’t see that in the articles I read trying to suss out OP’s claim of them killing a woman recently. I read they attempted to hunt down the coyos responsible, and potentially got one, but not the rest. There may have been follow up articles I missed because they would have been more local? Regardless, highly unlikely, what the OP claimed.

I was trying to go after a coyo on my property because when I was on night shift, I would just let my dogs out out night to potty, same as I do during the day. They stick around as long as there isn’t anything to chase. On night shift, I caught one on camera near my house several times just before I went to bed or had gotten in from feeding, so I wasn’t too keen on the idea of accidentally turning my dogs out with one right there yanno. However it has been coming around less and I’m back on dayshift, so I care slightly less.

Yes, I know it is an older thread.
I thought of it because just now the coyotes were very close (right in the next field over, maybe 300’ away) and singing. I looked over at my barn cat and she did open one eye, for a few seconds and then closed it again. The horses never looked up. My dogs did not react at all.

The chickens did scream “please come eat me over here”, the same thing they did when they saw a fox the other day. Chickens are the smartest, clearly.

My point is - clearly no one here (except the chickens) seemed to care one bit that coyotes were very near and talking.

3 Likes

We have a very skinny, lone juvenile coyote that’s been hanging around and getting quite close to the horses, barn, and house. Cats don’t seem bothered, but I’m still worried about them.