Unlimited access >

CURSE YOU TIME CHANGE!

[QUOTE=trubandloki;7841248]
This is the opposite of what my vet told me very recently.
Horse’s eyes are better designed to see in the dark than ours are.[/QUOTE]

Horse eyesight is very different than our own in many ways – including their poor depth and color perception, but from my understanding (from both reading and classes on the subject) their night vision is not much, if at all, better than ours. I’m on mobile now, but when I get home I can scrounge around for some study links. :slight_smile:

I think as a whole asking them to ride at night is not a big deal, but I would remember that if you are riding “in and out” of a beam of light (ie head lights) it may be a challenging question to ask.

thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!
I might have to get my butt up super early and attempt a ride before work!

I also have to ride after work and I like to think I’ve embraced riding in the dark over the last 10 years. There are actually a few upsides to being a member of ‘the last people at the barn’ crowd.
I could technically make riding before work work, but I don’t like the feeling of being on a time limit at the barn. Going to the barn early always leaves me feeling rushed and behind schedule so it doesn’t give me the same pleasure as an after work ride.
Riding during the winter makes me keenly aware of moon cycles - given last weekend’s time change I was thrilled last night when I realized that we had pretty good moonlight for our first week of the winter season. During good weather and with the right timing moonlit trail rides are awesome, fun and really enhance your partnership w your horse.
My barn has a lit covered arena but sometimes it’s really crowded during the winter. I’ve discovered that I can ride in an adjacent arena (in the dark) and have amazing rides and that my horse is happier out there alone rather than being stuck on the rail in the merry-go-round of a crowded arena.
Finally, I like the feeling of putting my horse to bed. :). I usually walk up and down the barn aisle as a last step before I go home. I look at all of the horses that are settled in and usually peaceful; owners, trainers and stall cleaners are all gone and the horses are just doing their quiet horse thing. It’s a good way to end a day.

[QUOTE=WasthatC;7841473]
I also have to ride after work and I like to think I’ve embraced riding in the dark over the last 10 years. There are actually a few upsides to being a member of ‘the last people at the barn’ crowd.
I could technically make riding before work work, but I don’t like the feeling of being on a time limit at the barn. Going to the barn early always leaves me feeling rushed and behind schedule so it doesn’t give me the same pleasure as an after work ride.
Riding during the winter makes me keenly aware of moon cycles - given last weekend’s time change I was thrilled last night when I realized that we had pretty good moonlight for our first week of the winter season. During good weather and with the right timing moonlit trail rides are awesome, fun and really enhance your partnership w your horse.
My barn has a lit covered arena but sometimes it’s really crowded during the winter. I’ve discovered that I can ride in an adjacent arena (in the dark) and have amazing rides and that my horse is happier out there alone rather than being stuck on the rail in the merry-go-round of a crowded arena.
Finally, I like the feeling of putting my horse to bed. :). I usually walk up and down the barn aisle as a last step before I go home. I look at all of the horses that are settled in and usually peaceful; owners, trainers and stall cleaners are all gone and the horses are just doing their quiet horse thing. It’s a good way to end a day.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about tucking them into bed! I got my first taste of that last night, as my mare’s turnout schedule changed from being out all night to out all day. When I was done with chores, and treating her scratches (ugh) it was really nice to tuck her into her fluffy clean stall for the night and see her lower her head and huddle up in a corner and just relax. Typically I’m used to turning her out and watching her fly around the paddock as a last sight at night :yes:

If you have complete shower facilities at work, you could still ride in the morning and then get your shower at work.

I went on a lovely hack around the ranch under a bright moon last night. Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

I used to ride in the dark too. The riding area (an open field) is pretty far from the barn so there wasn’t any light up there. Aside from deer popping out there really wasn’t anything to worry about. My horse didn’t seem to mind unless something was out of place. He needed to take a moment to look at things out of the ordinary (like 3 deer bounding across our path 5 feet in front of us). I found he worked well in the dark, but he’s also a pretty sensible guy.

We now have poles with flood lights hooked up to a generator. We had our first ride under the lights two nights ago and it was good. The lights also make it so I can jump now during the week.

I posted about these on one of the other threads, but I am itching for Action Wipes (made by a company in California) to come back on the market. I used to use those for bike commuting when I couldn’t access a shower at work. Much better than Baby Wipes for controlling odor and bacteria, and one wipe is usually enough for pretty much head to toe. But, alas, I’m out of them, and I’m also thinking that a few morning rides need to be in my future.

I feel like I always take too much time at the barn. I guess I’ll have to be less religious about tack cleaning. But either the horses are filthy or the sweat takes forever to dry now that they’re wooly, etc. I wish I had a horse vacuum for speedy grooming and that the barn had better blanketing services. At least I would feel a little less badly about leaving a slightly damp horse (when it is warming up) in the morning than in the evening. I would feel a lot better if I could throw on a sheet or something and trust that it would be taken off at the right time.

[QUOTE=WasthatC;7841473]
Finally, I like the feeling of putting my horse to bed. :). I usually walk up and down the barn aisle as a last step before I go home. I look at all of the horses that are settled in and usually peaceful; owners, trainers and stall cleaners are all gone and the horses are just doing their quiet horse thing. It’s a good way to end a day.[/QUOTE]

Ooooo, moonlit trail ride! I was just pondering whether I can get home in time for a quick hack before it gets dark tonight or if we should plan to haul to the arena… With it being almost a full moon maybe I don’t have to worry about it!

We had no trails at my trainer’s barn but now that I’ve got my show horse at home I’ve committing to getting him out of the dressage arena at least once a week, if not twice. I’m really interested to see how he does mentally and physically with this change - I’m already feeling the benefits and it’s only been a week. I don’t think hacks out have ever really been a part of his regimen and I’m happy to finally be able to change that for him!

I’m going to try some moonlight hacking around Friday! Full moon is tomorrow, but alas, it’s my birthday, and while I would rather spend my birthday evening at the barn, SO & Family feel it’s more normal to celebrate a birthday out to dinner. Friday me and the BO will hack out in the moonlight. My girl and her main guy do extremely well together, so I think having a buddy will be good for the first time out!

I LOVE moon lit rides - only plus of my long commute is it eventually pushed me to try it. Can’t believe it took me so many years.

I HIGHLY recommend downloading a moon rise and set calendar. Moon cycles are funny, rise time can vary an hour in just one day. So not only does the moon have to be fairly full - it needs to be up in the sky!

Yesterday for example - it was close to a full moon, and in my area, the moon rose at 4:00 pm - so it was nice and high in the sky come 7:00 pm when I rode. Today it will rise at 4:40… come next Tuesday - even though it would still be pretty full - the moon doesn’t come up until 9:30 pm - not good for riding!

Here is the link for a good calendar:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonrise.html

Not sure what part of FL you are in, but it looks like moon rise will be around 6:00 pm on Friday.

Enjoy the ride!!

Happy early birthday!

I hope you enjoy that moonlit ride. :slight_smile:

unless you have really good lighting, it’s better to just go without. Horses see really well in the dark, and people’s eyes adjust quite well to darkness. It’s the moving in and out of the light that causes problems- shadows, glare, etc. If you must have a light, put up red ones or use a red head lamp- it won’t ruin your eye’s adaption to the dark but will illuminate enough. Most people’s problems with darkness are a mental issue, not a real one.

[QUOTE=wendy;7843029]
Most people’s problems with darkness are a mental issue, not a real one.[/QUOTE]
Seriously, this.

[QUOTE=wendy;7843029]
Most people’s problems with darkness are a mental issue, not a real one.[/QUOTE]

I can see that being the issue! My only whoah is me seeing things that aren’t there (HA! MENTAL!) But I guess so long as my girl doesn’t see the things-that-are-not, I’ll be okay! She’s not really spooky during the day, she looks at things, snorts her nose, and carries on. The scariest encounter we ever had was cantering in the field and a rabbit shot out in front of us like a bat out of hell, probably to avoid getting smooshed, and she jumped when he jumped and I jumped when they both jumped. Thankfully, landed right back in the tack and she was calm as could be again. This will be an interesting twist to her patience and brain. But she never ceases to amaze me with how level headed she really does seem to be, for a green 5 year old.

[QUOTE=Appsolute;7842103]
I LOVE moon lit rides - only plus of my long commute is it eventually pushed me to try it. Can’t believe it took me so many years.

I HIGHLY recommend downloading a moon rise and set calendar. Moon cycles are funny, rise time can vary an hour in just one day. So not only does the moon have to be fairly full - it needs to be up in the sky!

Yesterday for example - it was close to a full moon, and in my area, the moon rose at 4:00 pm - so it was nice and high in the sky come 7:00 pm when I rode. Today it will rise at 4:40… come next Tuesday - even though it would still be pretty full - the moon doesn’t come up until 9:30 pm - not good for riding!

Here is the link for a good calendar:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonrise.html

Not sure what part of FL you are in, but it looks like moon rise will be around 6:00 pm on Friday.

Enjoy the ride!![/QUOTE]

This might be an idiot question.

Moonrise time, is that when the moon first starts out, kind of like the sun rise, so it’s low on the horizon? or is the moon rise time the time which it’s up high in the sky?

I’m following this thread with interest. We got a farm this summer, and this is my first winter of horse-keeping at home. I got so excited about having the horses in my backyard, I completely forgot about DLST–I’m an idiot. So I haven’t been able to ride all week and it’s horrible.

DH and I looked up some lighting options. I’m not willing to ride in the dark. My gelding is too looky, and even if they see better than I do in the dark, I’m just not comfortable with it. And if I’m too stressed, it won’t be a productive ride.
Our ring is too far away (1/4 mile) but there’s a paddock behind the barn that I may be able to ride in, despite a slope. I can run an extension cord or two the 200 feet to the fenceline of the paddock.

• The general consensus is that solar lights don’t provide adequate light to ride by.
  • Due to relying on extension cords, my first choice would be LEDs. But Lowes didn’t have anything that would work. There are some options on line that have possibility, but they are all much lower lumens so I’d need several of them. But I hate to spend $1K on something that won’t work.
  • Short term solution. I bought 2 construction lights (halogen) from Amazon. I’ll run extension cords out to the paddock and see if I can make riding there better than nothing. If it’s working, I’ll get some LED lights to supplement or replace the halogen construction lights. If horsie is too spooky, or the slope is too great, I might have to pick one horse to board this winter, and neglect the other one by riding only on weekends.

I’ll let you know how the construction lights work out, and keep you posted on alternatives we come up with (LEDs, etc) Everyone, please continue budget-friendly ideas that worked for you (other than riding by moonlight or headlamp, which just isn’t something I want to do…)

[QUOTE=One Two Three;7843339]
This might be an idiot question.

Moonrise time, is that when the moon first starts out, kind of like the sun rise, so it’s low on the horizon? or is the moon rise time the time which it’s up high in the sky?[/QUOTE]

Just like sunrise - its when the moon is coming up over the horizon. Moonset, - smae thing, just like sunset. Stars and planets, same thing. Mars rises at 8pm, as an example, that’s when you will see it just on the horizon, and they all come up in around the same place in the west and set in the east, following a similar track of the sun. Which may seem obvious to some people, but I didn’t realize until I was recently told just that. I was always like, yeah but where on which horizon will the moon rise, how doyou know? Heh. In the west, just like the sun.

[QUOTE=kasjordan;7840054]
Line the arena fence with white christmas lights :wink: they shouldnt take much of anything to run.[/QUOTE]

This work so well. A barn not far from where I use to live did this and man did it light up the whole area.

At my last barn I asked the BO if I could put up a pole with light. They came back and said they would put the pole up if I got the lights. I just ran a extension cord from the barn to the arena but he barn was only 100’ from the arena.

If I was in you shoes I would see about a solar power set up with the white Christmas lights.

Well this thread left me confused about horses’ night vision so I googled. The verdict is in: horses have good night vision, much better than ours. Those giant eyes are good for something!

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/24300/shedding-light-on-equine-night-vision
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/ceh/docs/horsereport/pubs-HR27-1-bkm-sec.pdf
https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/AG_Equine_2005-03.pdf

This was an interesting tidbit from the UC Davis article above:

…they are less able to adjust to sudden changes of light, such as when moving from a bright day into a dark barn. This should be taken into consideration during training, because certain tasks such as loading into a trailer may frighten a horse simply because he cannot see.