Unlimited access >

Cushings horse slowing down

I have a 19 year old TB who was diagnosed with Cushings two years ago. Levels are fine with medication and he gets soaked hay to help with any potential breathing/lung issues. While he’s still eager to work, trail ride and go on hunter paces, I’ve noticed he can no longer canter for any period of time without running out of gas. Is this a normal thing for a horse with Cushings? Is there anything I can do to help him with his conditioning? I feel like I’m in a chicken/egg situation. I don’t feel it’s right to try to condition him by working him a bit harder each ride since his condition is what’s preventing it. (if that makes sense) Are we already at a point where we just do what we can and call it a day? He’s otherwise well muscled and fit. It’s just his lungs that don’t seem to hold out for very long. Any input from people with direct experience with Cushings horses would be appreciated.

Has he been retested recently?? It’s the time of year for seasonal rise and his dose may have to be increased a bit. He may also be getting a little fluffy now and be more heat intolerant.

The slowing down may be unrelated to Cushing’s. You say he has soaked hay, does he have a respiratory problem or allergies? If so, that could be acting up an slowing him down. I have a pony with both Cushings and allergies and the past couple of weeks he’s been feeling the increased pollen we have here in the Fall. He’s not bad, but if you know him and his “normal” you can see a slight difference in his respirations from when he’s not in allergy season. Pony had allergies for about 10 years before his Cushings diagnosis so for him the two are unrelated.

My IR/Cushings horse isn’t rideable due to other health issues but what I have observed with other horses is that it is the insulin resistance that slows them down.

Have you had your horse’s insulin level checked?

Off chance, has this been while it’s warm? Thermal regulation is a Cushings issue. It’s possible that your horse isn’t sweating enough.

Compare to historic sweat levels for that temperature and activity level. Also check the horses temperature. They breath heavy when they need to drop their body temperature.

1 Like

What does the vet say?

Yep.

My Cushing’s patient recently overheated badly on a 78 degree day, just standing around eating hay in the sun. His winter coat is coming in, and it was just too much for him. He’s also much less exercise tolerant since his coat’s come in, and it really doesn’t take much to stress him.

It’s nearly October, and I’m in Maine, so I won’t be clipping again this year, but I certainly would if I was in a warmer region.

1 Like