Unlimited access >

Cut of a friesians feathers?

I have a foundation in PC, and have “been around” horses for 20 years. I can tell you right now that PC is just basics, good for newbies and casual horse owners, but by no means is the world standard :laughing:.

In fact, a lot of the things Pony Club teaches as ‘You Must Do This Or You’re A Bad Horseman’ are just… outdated and/or personal preference. Like not clipping feathers :woman_shrugging:t3:

Scribbler nailed it. This forum is one of the few places you can get such varied experience, and some insanely qualified people post on the regular. Coming on here guns blazing about feathers of all things is a little silly. Welcome to COTH, if you keep an open mind, you might find some really good stuff here.

1 Like

I can’t remember whether I read it on CoTH or some other message board, but I remember someone fretting about having to take individually-portioned feed to a pony club event in PAPER BAGS “to prevent spoilage.” Bonkers, absolutely bonkers. I don’t know if that’s still a PC “rule” but if it is, that shows just exactly how well PC keeps up with the times and thinks things through.

1 Like

Yes. We have Pony Club in our barn, I don’t participate. It has been fantastic for getting children into the barn and giving them a framework to keep them safe and building team work. The riding part also seems appropriate and ladders into its own competitive structure, not the toxic anxiety of junior hunter barns. I really like the team building aspect of it, helps counter the spirals of interpersonal competition that 12 year old girls can get sucked into. So I really respect the program. I would have eaten up that kind of instruction as a 14 year old with my first horse in self board.

However, as an adult I recognize that many things in children’s programs are put there to create consistency and discipline and are laughable if you think of doing them as an adult.

I don’t know if Pony Club has a rule about not clipping feathers on draft or native ponies, but they certainly all clip their horses in winter.

As far as scratches it can occur in the best kept horses. It has more to do with individual immunity and nutrition than filth per se. My mare can live in a clay field all winter and have no scratches no thrush despite being a mud monster.

And I mentioned keratosis which is I think close to psoriasis and a big issue on hairy breeds, and not about grooming per se

My own feeling is that the more you wash especially with soap or shampoo, the more you invite issues.

4 Likes

I’m the same! I’m a clipaholic, and that includes my Ragdoll cat, and spoodle dog.

I’d probably wax a Friesian if I owned one.

3 Likes