Unlimited access >

Daily recommended values for Na, P, S, Zn, Cu, Cl

I’ve adjusted his food a little. He’s on TC Sr. Gold 6 lbs/day vs regular TC Sr. @ 5 lbs, half alfalfa half bermuda vs. all alfalfa, added whole flaxseed. Considering adding Uckele poly copper and poly zinc pellets (this would make the new Fe:Cu:Zn:Mn ratio 3.98:1:2.89:1.42). Maybe vitamin E although I am unsure of dosage - I’ve seen some high dosages on the forums (currently @ 1,198.60 IU/day). Thoughts?

Side note: I am using Mad Barn’s values for most everything here - including TC Senior Gold. The bag says 1,800cal/lb (so 10,800 calories/day on 6 lbs/day), but Mad Barn’s values are lower. Is this lower because it’s measuring digestible energy?

There is no ideal fe:cu ratio, so unless it’s something like 40:1, don’t worry about it.

1:2.89 is a bit low, ideal is 1:3-4, but as long as there’s plenty zn that’s probably ok. There’s PLENTY of Zn, more than 2x what he needs. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to have less Mn than Zn though. I definitely would not be adding more cu or zn, there’s no reason at all to add more.

TOTAL of 1-2IU per lb is what many view as optimal. NRC says 1-2IU per kg.

TC’s Vit E is 50/50 natural and synthetic, so figure 1.0x of 50% of the E (natural) and 0.67% of 50% (synthetic), and then figure out the difference between that and 2IU/lb, and that’s what I would add

I don’t know what MB does. TC lists that as an average, and a given batch may be a little lower or higher.

Are you using MB’s forage averages, or your own analysis?

Makes sense. If my math is right, I’d want to add in ~1500 IU vitamin E.

Oh good! The less complicated/$$ the better.

MB averages. He’s boarded and the hay quality varies, unfortunately.

I’ll have to do some research on that and check back in.

If you’re currently at 1,198.60 IU/day , you don’t need 1500 additional, even if 50% of the (basically) 1200 is synthetic

I did some checking, you’re fine. Mn is like Fe - as long as there’s enough, and the ratios aren’t wildly out of whack, you’re fine.

You’re an angel! Thank you.

1 Like