Unlimited access >

Daughter's stress fracture in shinbone

Thanks for asking! She has her final PT appointment next week, and she has a check up with the Ortho on August 14th. She’s done really well with therapy, and has had no pain for a few weeks now!

I am really really glad we got a second opinion and didn’t go for surgery, because she has healed really quick!

She missed volleyball tryouts because at the time she was still in her boot and on restrictions. So, she won’t be doing any organized sports until track which will be close to the end of the year when they start conditioning. They didn’t start until February last year, right before the first track meet. I’m thinking they’ve decided to push up conditioning longer because of all the injuries last year. There is also supposed to be a new coach, so here’s to hoping they are more knowledgeable and we don’t have to deal with another injury this next season!

Thanks so much for checking up on her!

9 Likes

I thought this would be an appropriate time to update - my daughter got to run in sectionals today for this season. Last year she fractured her leg the meet before sectionals.

Well, she came in 1st in 300 meter hurdles and is state bound on the 21st as a sophomore! I couldn’t be prouder. She also made a personal record on her time. The coach this year is someone who did hurdles all through college and is also a nurse - she was invaluable in getting my daughter safely, and SOUNDLY to sectionals and now my daughter is moving onto state! She was the only one on the team who made it, so it is a pretty big deal. State is at the school she wants to go to college at, so she’s even more excited to be able to get to run on their track for (hopefully), the first of many times.

Everyone was so helpful back when this happened (and honestly helped me push to get another opinion so we were able to avoid surgery), that I wanted to update everyone. Thanks again guys!

14 Likes

Also wanted to add it was a crazy weather event day for the meet - we had at least 6 weather delays due to lightning/thunder and downpour (we ended up being there 2pm-11pm because of this), and I just found out a tornado touched down in the city we were in while we were there! Although, it was a weak tornado and short thankfully, the meteorologist said that debris was shown being thrown on the radar. Despite all that she somehow stayed focused!

3 Likes

That’s terrific! Go team Wren Chick!

2 Likes

That is wonderful news! So glad you did the right thing for her by refusing surgery, and she is now reaping the reward. I’m sure seeing her success is very rewarding for you.

Rebecca

2 Likes