Degenerative Arthritis Of Both Hips

Finding the right pain meds that work for you is a biggie. I take Cymbalta — which helps with pain as well as with depression (which is aggravated by pain). I’ve taken diclofenac for years, and it’s the only NSAID that works for me (and I think I’ve tried them all!) Acupuncture may help you ---- it helps my arthritis. There are also lidocaine pain patches that can help a lot — you can wear one up to 18 hours a day right over the areas causing the pain.

What they say about the age for various replacement surgeries isn’t really gospel. I had both of my knees replaced before I was 50. Made a huge difference.

Be sure you get a good orthpod. My mom had a knee replaced by a total jerk — he was a druggie who was arrested shortly afterwards for DUI, possession of crack, possession of paraphanalia, etc. — she ended up unable to walk even after another doctor tried to correct the mess the first one made.

Lots to consider

Thank you everyone! Wow, a lot to consider here.:confused:
At least I no longer feel alone!!
Just called insurance: HA injections only covered for the knees . The ins. rep. stated there is no clinical evidence for it helping the hips.
I was hoping you all would have said a couple cortisone injections would hold me for another 10yrs. and I would be in riding comfort…seems by the time hip issues are noticed there is no easy fix…
Cfourhorses

Surgeons might let you purchase the HA directly from them - mine did…If they are injecting the cortisone anyway the actual injection doesn’t cost anymore, and ins. pays for that part.

I can ask. What has happened here is the 2 big medical monopolies have taken over all the independent Dr.'s and what a Dr. would have done before merging they are not willing to do anymore…big business…:no:

[QUOTE=Cfourhorses;4597394]
My primary Dr.'s nurse said I was a long way from a replacement because of my age and it is “mild”. [/QUOTE]

GET ANOTHER OPINION!! I got this nonsense from my first ortho and suffered for an additional two years. Everyone who saw me on a daily basis badgered me no end to get a replacement, but the almighty Dr had said exactly what you were told. Finally went to my GP (in tears) and asked for a second opinion. The second opinion Dr said it was a no-brainer for me to have a replacement, and, yes … he gave me my life back.

I had to stay with a friend for three weeks following surgery, until I was released to drive (I live alone). I had a college student farm-sitting during that time, but my 17.2h draft cross had an abscess that needed a soaking wrap, so there I was, standing on one leg (can’t bend at hip on replaced side) next to my walker, wrestling with animalintex, vetrap and ductape.

Anyhow, it sounds like you may need both done at once; you will definitely need help from what you describe.

In any event, good luck, and keep us posted on what you & your Drs decide.

As some of the above posters know, I had hip replacement surgery Dec 1, 09. I was not in terrible pain all the time, but it killed me to ride. Also , getting out of car and seats was hard. I had no pain while sleeping. But it was never going to improve. Codeine helped a little but who wants to be on all that stuff? Even all the NSAIDS kill your stomach after a while.

Each week I get better and better. I had the minimally invaisive anterior approach. No muscle cut. I can do 1/2 mile on the treadmile and bike now, at slow speeds. I don’t need a cane any more, I can drive, I can lead a horse, just not carry buckets, hay, or bend down. I hope after Jan 21, I can do those things.

Don’t wait until you are crippled to have it fixed. You need your healthy parts to get you thru the recovery. Talk to several orthopedists. Try to find one who does this type of surgery and has had lots lots of experience with it.

Good luck. I hope to ride in April, after the ice melts.

I had one injection into my hip and it did not make one bit of difference - so I did not opt for that again - but the meds ~ none of them worked for me either. The only thing that took my pain away and allowed me to “live” was the THR. I waited way too long also - wish I had had it done years before.

I had two cortisone injections. With the first one, I waited a week and started riding, and the pain came back. With the second, I had it right before I left for an Alaskan trip. I was pain free for several weeks, until the last day when I went riding, and hello pain.

[QUOTE=Bank of Dad;4602325]
As some of the above posters know, I had hip replacement surgery Dec 1, 09. I was not in terrible pain all the time, but it killed me to ride. Also , getting out of car and seats was hard. I had no pain while sleeping. But it was never going to improve. Codeine helped a little but who wants to be on all that stuff? Even all the NSAIDS kill your stomach after a while.

Each week I get better and better. I had the minimally invaisive anterior approach. No muscle cut. I can do 1/2 mile on the treadmile and bike now, at slow speeds. I don’t need a cane any more, I can drive, I can lead a horse, just not carry buckets, hay, or bend down. I hope after Jan 21, I can do those things.

Don’t wait until you are crippled to have it fixed. You need your healthy parts to get you thru the recovery. Talk to several orthopedists. Try to find one who does this type of surgery and has had lots lots of experience with it.

Good luck. I hope to ride in April, after the ice melts.[/QUOTE]

The important thing here is that to be a candidate for the minimally invasive approach the hips can’t be “too far gone”.By the time most folks get to the ortho to consider the surgery they are too advanced and not a candidate for it. This is where GPs telling everyone not to go to an ortho consult as they are not bad enough yet is a real problem. If more people DID go sooner more would be good candidates for the MI procedure.

My pain was all the time except when riding

My one cortisone injection did nothing for my pain ~ meds did not help either - I was in pain at all times except when riding. My diagnose was wrong not arthritis after all ! When the THR was performed the doctor found I had a bone deformity - said it should have been fixed a long time before :eek:he didn’t know how I had survived with it as long as I did. Since THR I am pain free all the time.

Cortisone shots kept me going for awhile…BUT

I started to have them more and more often and the doctor would only do them so many times. Although cortisone may help with inflamation and pain, it’s not kind to the bone, and the shot itself can be quite painful

I’m one year post op from a right THR. Mine was a posterior approach, thus a much longer incision. My original ortho also told me I was too “young”. Finally the discomfort and pain drove me to find someone else. Thank goodness I did! Doctor gave me his blessing to do anything I wanted except run regularly and bend in a certain manner (a weird angle which I could never do anyhow) after 12 weeks.

I know that seems like a long time, but it was well worth it. Once I got past the 5 week point, I was pretty much doing everything I needed except carry heavy weights and bending certain ways…and I found other ways to achieve those chores. I now ride pain free, whereas I had gotten to the point of giving up riding.

Keep searching. There are doctors out there who are willing to do more for younger people. After all, you need to remember that quality of life now will also affect the quality of your life later.

Do the PT faithfully, it’ll keep you going longer. Both my parents had THR in their 60’s and Dad never did keep up with stretching, now his knees are gone too, and I’ll bet he could benefit from the Cymbalta too. The pain really takes it out of you, honestly, do doctors want you rolling on the ground and moaning before they take you seriously? Or is it the false presentation to acquire drugs they are trying to avoid?

I’ve been taking the Osteobiflex regularly for about three years now and once I get loaded (about two weeks) it works pretty well - God help me if I run out or forget for a week or two - Aleve is a good NSAID. Tramadol was absolutely great but unfortunately triggered headaches and nausea. Celebrex was the best.

Best of luck to you, I’ll be in your shoes within the decade, I’m pretty sure.

Hey Bank of Dad! I was wondering how you were doing! Good to hear from you!

Hips

Went to PT today. I was riding the incumbent bike and began to speak to the lady next to me. She has an arthritic knee. She looked like she was in her mid to upper 50’s. She does not like the orthopedist I am seeing next month (she is the only neigh sayer thus far about him). She went about 100 miles away to the University of Rochester to see a sports orthopedist who is not a surgeon. They have her doing exercises and she no longer uses her cane and is skiing again without surgery. She told me to strengthen my muscles and loose weight, (yes I am over weight and have been up and down my entire life, thus far have not qualified for the gastric by-pass). I agree strengthening muscles and loosing weight is good. All so much to ingest, but I appreciate everyone’s input so much!! My PT said I should have come in sooner, I have told her the adaptions I have made in the past 3 yrs. and she said it has not helped me. Again, 3 yrs. ago I rode pain free…I just thought I was out of shape. Getting in & out of cars vs. trucks painful. Added a 6" high hat to my toilet about 1.5 yrs. ago. I have a foam mat & feather mattress on my bed. Next week I see the pain management Dr. She asked if there was a saddle I could use that did not cause me to have to spread my legs, I told her I am not riding side saddle and she said what about a little box like they use on elephants…there is an idea, I can buy an elephant and get a little box seat to trail ride :frowning:

What an idea BUT !???

…there is an idea, I can buy an elephant and get a little box seat to trail ride :frowning:
[/quote]
Great idea ?! BUT Don’t forget to get a new muck bucket also !:lol: And What size pitch fork would work for that?!:lol::lol:

Elephants

Good question. Will ask my husband, early in life he worked for the circus with elepahnts :winkgrin:

Yet another plus for THR

Hey Cfourhorses speaking of circus ~ another plus of having had my THR ~ I can ~:cool: ride my unicycle again !!! Really !!!:smiley:

Uni Cycle

That is great!!:slight_smile:

HAH! I couldn’t even get my leg in position to TRY sidesaddle!

There is a book called ‘heal your hips’ that was written by an orthopedic surgeon. It has a water program that you can try to see if buildling muscle works.

I’d ignore the surgical stuff in there - it’s the ‘old’ method and not the minimally invasive ones.

The author generally sez to try it for 6 weeks…if it helps great, if it doesn’t, you’re going to need surgery…

Gym

Great, thanks. I bought a 3 month membership to a gym. My 1st PT said not to exercise…don’t ask…he had me blowing up balloons and doing breathing exercises. He was rude and I found another PT. She said I can do the recumbent bike and the elliptical. Unfortunately there is no pool w/this gym. I will check w/my library for the book!!
Cfourhorses

Library does not have the book but can buy used off the net. Found this link by the Dr.
http://www.hiphelp.com/pages/hottopics.html#Anchor-Resurfacing-35882