Unlimited access >

Desert island bits!

Many of us want the everyday bit, the “horse is a little bright today” bit, and the “I am absolutely certain I am going to get run away with today” bit.

5 Likes

Yes! Great way of summarizing it.

Since I only ride lesson horses now my bit collection has exploded over the past decade or so.

Right now, and due to change at any moment if I can find another bit that is just a little bit gentler and understandable to the horse my three are:

Double bridle–preferably with Fager bits, but I am awaiting for a third type bradoon from Fager. Right now I am successfully using the Fager mullen mouth curb and double-jointed lozenge bradoon, but the bradoon may change.

The Fager sweet iron/copper Alexander three piece snaffle. This bit is the Fager bit closest in shape to my old favorite, the Dr. Bristol with a much less wide center plate.

The Fager titanium Bianca three-piece snaffle with a roller.

I probably could use these three set ups the rest of my life on most horses with a minimum of being cursed out in horse.

This is very close to my choice. I think I am going to swap out the hackamore (because between being able to attach reins to a noseband and having the leverage of the curb on a Pelham, I think I can duplicate the basic action) and go for something ported for my third. Not that I think I’m going full cry foxhunting on said desert island, but you never know;

2 Likes