Designing a barn...what would be your must-haves?

There was a post about Kelly Cucou (sp? Big Bang Theory) and her husband’s farm, the video had a lot of good ideas but this especially. I normally hate swing out feeders (hay or grain) but the way they did the grain swing out was pretty neat. Maybe try to find that thread?

I like separate lights for aisle and stalls, when I’ve had it in the past it was super nice to not wake up the whole barn when you had a late night or early morning with only one horse. Lots of water spigots so you aren’t dragging hose everywhere. Lots of outlets… seriously you can’t have too many; however many you think is adequate, go ahead and double :yes:. Inside and outside spigots. I also like runs off stalls, but would like a partial cover for it so they don’t have to stand in the stall to stay out of the sun or rain if they don’t want to; also will cut down on rain blowing into the stall and soaking the bedding, ask me how I know. Wider aisle! 16’ is awesome.

I moved to a property that had a barn already up, but nothing else and no horses had been inside the barn. I set my place up so that if I got hurt, even a non-horsey friend could take care of them without ever touching them, at least short term. So stalls all open up to runs. If they are out, paddocks all have four sided shed in them. Just in case. It is also about 45* off how I would have set it up, so one stall gets a prevailing wind all the time and I can’t keep bedding it unless I want to shut the stall door that opens out to the run.

I will say the runs do smell more than a barn without them. I am going to try mixing some of the Sweet PDZ into the gravel on my horse’s favorite pee spots and see if it helps…

I had my barn built in 2012. It is a metal framed, metal building because I live in Texas and termites are the devil.

My stalls are 12x14 and I LOVE the size! The layout is feed room/stall/stall on the right. Tack room/stall/stall on the left (left and right are as you walk in the front doors of the barn. I think some “must haves” in a barn are going to vary by geography. In hot climates it is nice to have tall ceilings with some kind of air escape. I regret not having my builder put in a roof vent. My husband later added a mechanical vent that automatically goes on when the temp hits like 100 or something. The roof vent would have worked better.

The 2 stalls on the right side each have a 15’ (ish) x 55’ run. One stall on the left side has the run, the other one goes out into a small paddock. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my stall/run/paddock set up. LOVE. Having the runs means that if one horse gets hurt and needs to be kept up, I can keep the others in also and they won’t go stir crazy. They can also stay in during inclement weather and still be able to move around. The extra bonus is when the horse figures out to poop and pee in the stall run, but not all horses figure that out (I’m looking at you Simon!).

A non-negotiable for me on this and any future barn I were to have would be gutters. Being able to control where the roof runoff goes is huge and gutters don’t cost that much. Plus it addresses the mud problems others mention.

I put swinging feed doors with built in feed pan and hay mangers. I wouldn’t do that again. I hate them. I would just have a swinging door to drop feed in as needed. I feed mine off the ground.

Also because it is hot, my stalls each have a ceiling fan. This helps keep the stall cooler and it helps with flies. I wouldn’t necessarily add ceiling fans in a northern climate, but they sure are nice.

Lots and lots of power outlets. You can never have too many! I put mine close to eye level and I like them at that height.

My rooms and the surrounds of each stall are concrete, but the actual stall floors are a rock base, then sand for leveling, covered by mats. Easy to clean. The concrete frame prevents the mats from moving. And the horses have plenty of cushion. I like the concrete aisle and in the rooms for ease of cleaning and attempting to reduce the amount of dust. I have mats in the aisles.

My barn has a 12’ porch on the front and I adore it. It has 3 ceiling fans with tons of lighting and it absolutely helps keep my barn cooler during the summer months. Eventually we will finish out one side of the porch to act as a wash rack with hot/cold water, electric outlets and other grooming/wash stall necessities. I didn’t want my wash rack inside my barn bc it gets humid in Texas and I don’t need that humidity in my barn.

Other nice-to-haves is that my barn aisle is tall and wide enough to drive a tractor/pickup into. I’ve parked my truck and trailer in the barn aisle during hail storms. My stall runs also have gates wide enough to get a tractor in to clean them.

I prefer my tack and feed stuff be kept in separate rooms to cut down on dust. Both of my rooms have heat and AC.
My barn is near my house so we didn’t add a bathroom or laundry, but there is a commercial stainless sink in the feed room with hot and cold water. We will be adding a 75 gallon water tank in the feed room to store water for the 7 days it freezes in Texas and we have to shut the water off to the barn.

One other thing we didn’t do that I feel like most barns have is the drop ceiling on the rooms. My rooms have 14’ short wall ceilings. The wall just runs up. We are adding some shelving up high in the feed room to store things that aren’t used often. Every drop ceiling I’ve ever seen is a terrible fire hazard for all the dust they collect. And the super tall ceiling makes the rooms feel fancy and huge.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I agree wholeheartedly! A wash stall is the one thing my barn doesn’t have and it is SO BLOODY ANNOYING to deal with.

The barn I boarded at as a kid had a wash stall, and it was something I miss soooooo much! My horse had a severe case of mud fever last fall, and it was so frustrating having to wash her legs in her stall, or make a mess all over the aisle using a bucket. I have tossed some ideas to the BO to build an outdoor wash rack, but nothing has ever transpired :frowning:

We have hot water at the barn but the barn owner wants us to bath in a grass area, that gets mucky, with a hose that is hooked up to cold water only. It drives me batty that there is no where to tie our horses and we have no access to hot water, unless you bucket-and-sponge it. There is nothing worse that trying to bath a horse by yourself that won’t stand still because they want to drag you around to eat grass, or that they are dancing around because the water is freezing cold!

For a private barn I would make sure it is set up so that a non-horsey person can feed easily. If you get sick or hurt, you don’t want to have to rely on someone with no real horse experience moving unruly horses, if possible.

I am a fan of runs/opening directly to a paddock when setup allows. I don’t consider cleaning the runs to be an issue – it is usually much easier than cleaning stalls, and I find the horses go through a lot less shavings because they poop and pee outside a lot. As a BO who beds well, I appreciate any shavings savings I can come up with! A retaining board at the Dutch door can help keep the shavings in the stall instead of dragging them outside. The end of each of my runs will be a 12’ gate so I can get equipment in as needed.

If you have multiple horses in a dry lot, an overhang is much safer than allowing access to stalls.

My new stalls aren’t installed yet, but they have a discreet swinging door for feeding grain, but the buckets are regular ones inside the stall. I prefer this to the swing out with feed pan attached, because it is much easier to clean the buckets. My current stalls have a small feed hole that works pretty much the same.

A bathroom is good if you have boarders. I am putting mine next to the wash rack – the water heater can go in there and serve both locations without a ton of extra plumbing. I also took plumbing and electrical into consideration when planning the barn/arena location. Never run plumbing lines under concrete! When there is a water issue in 15 years you don’t want to have to tear up your whole barn fixing it.

GFCI plugs on every stall are a must for me, as are auto waterers wherever possible.