Unlimited access >

Do fancy anatomical bridles actually make a difference?

How annoying! Can I ask where you saw that? I don’t see anything restricting turtle top bauchers on this list with an effective date of 3/24/22: https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/bGxapei4PLA/eventing-annex-1---bits-saddlery-and

For dressage, the notes on that bit are kind of unclear because it says that bits labeled “pending review” are not permitted but for 4th and below that bit is labeled as being reassessed in 2021, not specifically as “pending review”:

Why do they have to make this stuff so damn complicated??

And here I was, thinking they were still illegal! One of the many, many reasons I try to always stick with a plain old HS duo – I cannot keep up with the confusing rule amendments and how poorly they are written.

In other news, I don’t have any updates on my Halter Ego bridle yet. It is still in production, I am very excited about it though!

I sent off two of my older bridles to a leather worker last week. My Eponia Ginger, which I love, is getting the noseband made bigger as it is just a tiny bit too short across the bridge of the nose for my dude. My Passier Ingrid Klimke is being converted into an actual monocrown - I like that bridle a lot, but it is sold as a single-crown with the noseband hangars going up, through the crown piece, up and around the crown and back down. I’ve noticed this places a lot of uneven pressure on one side of the bridle. My local leatherworker is going to convert it into a monocrown where the noseband buckles on both sides versus going through the crown piece. Very excited to be able to keep these guys in the line-up, as I think they are both well made bridles and with our current research out there, both could be made a little more comfortable.

Any other new bridles up on the market people are peeping at?

3 Likes

@beowulf, so cool that you have someone who can customize your bridles like that! I’d love to see before and after pics when you get them back.

4 Likes

It may still be ok for USDF, but if you look at the main rule book for eventing under EV115, 2 (b)(9), they added a new rule that went into effect on 2/1/22 that says “The maximum length of the cheek piece of a hanging cheek snaffle is 7 cm measured from the top of the small ring.” It doesn’t explicitly ban the Neue Schule but when I measure it is very slightly longer than 7 cm. I miss the good old days when the rule book came out in written form and usually was in place for the entire year.

2 Likes

Ooh, that is sneaky! If they’re going to put it in the rules they should really add a note to Annex 1 also.

1 Like

So I tried the Passier Starlight today and it’s perfect, I really like the poll/ear design and the noseband design. I think it’s the only bridle I’ve tried that fits my mare’s giant ears and otherwise refined face, and I think the leather is actually very high quality and just needed a little conditioning.

11 Likes

Not sure if either of these are competition legal but was looking around for bridles designed to have the bit attached to the noseband in some form.

Pariani Ergonomic Classic Bridle

Oslo Training Bridle

I’ve always been intrigued by the lunge cavesson bridle hybrids since they seem to allow for bit straps to connect to the noseband!

How do you find the fit? I’m waffling between Cob and Full. I use a Cob PS of Sweden High Jump but it’s just big enough. And a Cob PS of Sweden hackamore, which is perfect for length, but I had to go with a Full noseband. Basically, we have short wide head issues.

Edit: Hypostore has an extra 21% off (basically, I got the bridle, a MIPS helmet, a Bucas flysheet, and a bunch of bits and bobs for about the same as what the bridle costs domestically) and I bit the bullet on full.

That Pariani bridle is cool looking…

Hypostore has some interesting bridles I hadn’t seen before:

The Busses are similar to a Micklem, but with a throatlatch and padding that raises the crownpiece off the poll.

It looks like the PresTeq has the cheekpieces and noseband come off a single strap at around eye level–don’t know if that fits what you’re looking for @scislandsprite? I’d like more contour around the ears though.

1 Like

I don’t know that anyone here cares, but it’s doubtful that any of these bridles are legal to show in the US. For sure the PresTeq would not be, due to the metal clips. I think the design of the crown piece would eliminate the other two. Just FYI.

1 Like

Well, as with any unconventional-looking bridle I’d want to get an opinion from USEF, but I’m not sure the clips on the PresTeq are different from a functional or rules perspective than buckles or the studs in a Schockemohle Equitus bridle.

Is there a rule about crownpieces that are raised/articulated like the Busses? The Schockemoehle Equitus Rho crownpiece is very similar. I’ve never owned any unconventional bridles so I’m not sure, but all the Attire & Equipment book says about crownpieces is, “The crownpiece of the bridle must lie immediately behind the poll and may extend forward onto the poll, but it may not be fitted to lie on the vertebrae behind the skull (Figure 121.6). The crownpiece may be padded and it may have elastic inserts.” (https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/sAH3nOVD85c/dressage-attire-equipment-booklet)

Yes I really do like the design of the PresTeq! I don’t have anyone that goes in a flash right now although I did ask the company to consider making a version without the flash strap haha

If you look at the Annex, (DR 121 Annex A) no metal clips are allowed on the pictured bridles. As a matter of fact, the Pres Teq FaySport is specifically disallowed with the comment, “Metal snaps and connections on bridle not permitted”.
I can’t really see the crownpiece, but it looks like it is separated over the poll and connected with a strap. There are maybe a couple of bridles (Elite Precision and Elite Anatomic for example) with crownpieces like that and they are not permitted for USEF dressage.I

There are quite a few listed bridle so you can get an idea of what USEF doesn’t like.

1 Like

Thanks! Didn’t scroll past the bits lol. All my bridles have always been boring. I still think those metal clips basically function like buckles but oh well, I’m not the decider. I still like to see all the different designs though.

I know! My bridles are boring, too, but I’ve been considering something more ergonomic. I was surprised at some of the not allowed ones…

It’s also strange what makes the list. if it’s on the list does that mean someone asked about it, I wonder? Like did someone think they might need a Cornell collar for dressage? I had to look it up but apparently it’s used to prevent displacement of the soft palate during racing.

1 Like

Never heard of it! I bypassed the Strange and Weird. Now I wonder how the list was compiled!

I am still waiting on my Halter Ego bridle - I was hoping it would make it to us before our first official outing this season (5/15), but it’s looking iffy. I sent them an email asking for an update on Monday. Really excited to play in the sandbox with this bridle when I get it!

In the meantime, that Fairfax bridle is starting to be more appealing. I do have an up-and-coming little lady that needs a show bridle…

2 Likes

Just as a point of information, I borrowed a Micklem to try. I am not sure why, but my horse ran right through it. I had no half halt and it was like riding a freight train. So now I am kinda sticking with the more traditional, with padding on the crown, space for the ears and an extra pad on the noseband.