Unlimited access >

Do fancy anatomical bridles actually make a difference?

If you look at the Annex, (DR 121 Annex A) no metal clips are allowed on the pictured bridles. As a matter of fact, the Pres Teq FaySport is specifically disallowed with the comment, “Metal snaps and connections on bridle not permitted”.
I can’t really see the crownpiece, but it looks like it is separated over the poll and connected with a strap. There are maybe a couple of bridles (Elite Precision and Elite Anatomic for example) with crownpieces like that and they are not permitted for USEF dressage.I

There are quite a few listed bridle so you can get an idea of what USEF doesn’t like.

1 Like

Thanks! Didn’t scroll past the bits lol. All my bridles have always been boring. I still think those metal clips basically function like buckles but oh well, I’m not the decider. I still like to see all the different designs though.

I know! My bridles are boring, too, but I’ve been considering something more ergonomic. I was surprised at some of the not allowed ones…

It’s also strange what makes the list. if it’s on the list does that mean someone asked about it, I wonder? Like did someone think they might need a Cornell collar for dressage? I had to look it up but apparently it’s used to prevent displacement of the soft palate during racing.

1 Like

Never heard of it! I bypassed the Strange and Weird. Now I wonder how the list was compiled!

I am still waiting on my Halter Ego bridle - I was hoping it would make it to us before our first official outing this season (5/15), but it’s looking iffy. I sent them an email asking for an update on Monday. Really excited to play in the sandbox with this bridle when I get it!

In the meantime, that Fairfax bridle is starting to be more appealing. I do have an up-and-coming little lady that needs a show bridle…

2 Likes

Just as a point of information, I borrowed a Micklem to try. I am not sure why, but my horse ran right through it. I had no half halt and it was like riding a freight train. So now I am kinda sticking with the more traditional, with padding on the crown, space for the ears and an extra pad on the noseband.

I just got this Bobby’s Micklem knockoff. Nicer leather, came with a nice pair of rubber reins. The raised fancy stitching is a nice look. Browband runs small but otherwise I’m very happy. Yes, I could see some horses getting too strong in this type of bridle. My mare tends to curl and reject contact; first ride with a Novo contact snaffle seemed promising.

6 Likes

Why would some horses be stronger in a Micklem? Or why could you see some horses getting too strong in this type of bridle? Just being clueless and curious here.

Because the bit is attached essentially to the noseband. I’m trying this with a Novocontact bit because this mare is very light in the face and tends to avoid contact. The flip side is that some horses that are already strong in the contact might be inclined to get stronger. I’ve read before that part of the bit pressure is transferred to the noseband, but I think that would only come into play with a lot of backward rein action.

“The Micklem is a very kind and sympathetic bridle for horses that are sensitive in the mouth,” says eventer Harry Meade . “It’s very good for a horse who drops or evades the contact. The bridle doesn’t have long cheek pieces, which means there is much less movement and the bit is very static, so it helps the horse to settle and accept the bit.”
The Micklem bridle: what you need to know

4 Likes

On the plus side, for horses that like stability seem to really like bridles such as the Micklem where the bit straps are attached to the noseband! Mine hated the excess movement of even a loose ring so I could only use fixed cheek bits with bridles with similar design

3 Likes

Does anyone see any obvious fit issues?

The two bridles are Marcus Ehning II ( no bling), and Passier Starlight (bling).

I think the Starlight fits him better, but I can’t actually say why. I like the extra padding under the chin, but I would have preferred no bling. I also like the the chin strap connects to the noseband with a ring.

The Marcus Ehning looks like it fits the same, but it lacks the extra padding under the chin, and the chin strap is sewn directly onto the noseband, no ring.

On both, I like the ear relief and that the noseband fit such that it is below cheekbones.

The leather quality is nicer than Schockmohle bridles I have seen in the tack stores.

Thanks!

1 Like

I think the Starlight fits better – additional bonus, having the metal D-rings on each side of the cavesson distributes pressure better.

3 Likes

Yes. As an update, I’ve ridden in this “Micklem” 5-6 times so far. Bit is a single jointed HS NovoContact (though I might give the Fager Gustav baby Fulmer a try in the near future). My mare has always been pretty tricky in the contact (I started her), very light in the face, not wanting me to touch the reins (and I’m often complimented on my quiet hands, so it’s not like I’ve been banging her in the mouth). I don’t know why it took me so long to think of trying this style of bridle, but I think it’s a winner. I won’t be surprised if she grows out of it in a year or so, but for now, she has offered better contact with each ride and getting more willing to stretch FDO instead of curling. Other bits I’ve used on her were NS TeamUp eggbutt as her starter bit, then a NS Turtle Tactio, and very briefly a Fager titanium mullen mouth (she actually got too strong and set above the bit with that one).

2 Likes

Agreed. Looks like the browband leaves more room and @beowulf makes a good point about the D on the chin strap. Of course you could always get a bling-free browband, but the bling might grow on you. :wink:

Another vote for the Starlight, for the same reasons. And now I want to try one…it seems to check a lot of my boxes (except for fully removable flash).

@BlueDrifter, your horse is gorgeous! What a lovely color, and his eye looks so wise and kind. What breed is he?

Thank-you. He is a quarter horse, registered as a blue roan, but technically he has some brown hairs, so a bay roan.

(Those are kind eyes now, but if anyone followed my saga with him, I was about to give up after a year and so glad I didn’t four years later!)

And ditto on the flash. I don’t use one. I see the Passier site has a new noseband for the Starlight with a thinner nose band and a ring to connect both chin strap and hanger strap, and fully removable flash loop. Now I need to figure out how to order and how much it costs.

Haha… I think bling is already growing on me as I look at his photo. His mane is the same blue roan/gray color as his coat, and the bling sort of brightens things up.

In fairness, the Starlight photo is a better photo, but it does seem to fit better, browband as well.

This has been a very informative thread. I’m looking to get my small-headed TB an ergo bridles. He tends to carry his head crooked, and I don’t know yet why. His teeth have been checked and they are fine. I’ve played with bits (He’s doing better with the NS Vervindend), but I still would like to see if he’s more comfortable with an ergo. I started reading this thread the other day, and I now have 17 bridles on my list to look at. Okay, so maybe you all are TOO helpful. haha. But I will check them all out. Those that posted review and pictures – thank you!

5 Likes

I love the Starlight on him! And I love the bling! Go big or go home!!! :laughing:

1 Like