Unlimited access >

Do you ever worry about bears?

If you are riding in grizzly country, bear spray is a good idea but it does need to be worn on you so that in the unfortunate situation where you may become separated from your horse, you will be able to use it. Counter Assault and Hey Bear have great holsters. I’ve been sprayed accidentally and yes, it is rough, but short lived compared to the damage a bear can do. Understanding the proper way to use bear spray is helpful. Most negative interactions occur due to surprise/protection of cubs or food source, so making noise is a great first defense. They really don’t want to interact with humans as much as we don’t want to interact with them. Enjoy the trails and don’t worry too much, as long as you are making noise, the bears will try to steer clear of you.

1 Like

A few years ago, I remember reading about a young woman on horseback that was leading a trail ride who chased away a grizzly to protect her party. That is the only story I’ve heard about meeting griz while mounted. I would like to hear other stories, particularly the ones about using bear spray while mounted, both the successes and the failures. Any videos would be appreciated.

She was working for a guest outfitter in NW MT as I recall; on a draft cross horse. A young boy fell off his horse in the chaos and she protected him with that horse.

I have no mounted bear spray stories, in my world that is a major clusterF situation, as is shooting off a horse. I have a story in which someone’s bearspray fell off their belt as they were riding and hit a rock and went off as it fell down the trail and through the string. In a steep place. Do not recommend.

2 Likes

yiiiiikes!

I am in New Brunswick and we have quite a few black bears around. I am not too worried about them, unless there is a sow and cubs and you get between them. I always ride with bells on…more for the moose than the bears. A rutting bull moose is not something I want to meet while riding. I don’t bother with bear spray…too risky to try to use around horses. My horses will tell me if there is something I should be concerned about in the woods, and I pay attention to them.

6 Likes

Bears are a fairly recent issue here in CT. One of the difficulties is that in this densely populated state, they are more likely to be used to humans and human habitation. Unfortunately, the general population is not as bear-wise as in places that expect them to be around. So it is a new issue for many to take bird feeders in at night or not put them out at all. Trash cans are not usually even bear-resistant, so the bears find the free lunch and start hanging around.

I dont trail ride (no off property access at current barn) but those who do often wear bells or other noise makers to warn bears, deer, hunters, hikers and bikers!

ETA: All the horses were on edge and looking towards the woods with suspicion a couple of days ago. Then I discovered that a bear was into bird feeders a week ago a mile or so away. We know we are in her territory and suspect her being in the area put the horses on high alert!

2 Likes

I watched Cocaine Bear yesterday.

It is a true story and it was a black bear. There was no one riding horses but it did run down an ambulance.

No. They run away. Horses don’t like the smell of bears though, so they can spook if downwind.

I um try not to worry? I’ve had 2 encounters with black bears with my older mare. Once we came around a corner in an orchard and spooked a bear, which in turn spooked my mare. Dear thing stood still long enough for me to dismount, and then herded me and DH and a friend who were on foot back towards the barn. When she felt safe enough to stop, she was shaking. But Feronia has always had big feelings about things. Then a few months ago I was hand walking her, and we saw a bear cub up a tree across the street, and heard a very weird noise that I later learned was probably the warning call of the mother bear. It’s sort of a huff and a groan combined. I decided we weren’t going any closer! This was quite close to where Feronia lives, so I’m sure she’s seen them.

I like using bells when I’m wanting to let whatever critters we might run across know that we’re there.

2 Likes

Somebody is not worried.

https://x.com/buitengebieden/status/1730179615631524075?s=20

2 Likes

I have never had a problem with black bears. They usually disappear really quickly.

I did have an encounter with a grizzly in Yaha Tinda, Alberta a few years back. It was hunting season and I had left my group of riders because the mare I was riding was being an idiot. I also had my cattle dog with me. I saw the bear ahead and then it stood up. I believe it was on a gut pile.

I yelled bear and called my dog while quietly moving away and back towards the others. Bear didn’t leave but stood by it’s “kill”. Friends weren’t sure what I was yelling or why until I got back towards them. I just didn’t want my dog trying to go after the bear but he has great recall and is not allowed to chase wildlife.

All safe. I also have not and would not carry bear spray as I think you won’t have a decent and safe way to use it while mounted.

My typical joke is “Have you ever heard of someone attacked by a bear while they are horseback? No? Of course not. The horse dumps them and then when they find your body, there isn’t enough evidence that you were a rider.” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which is why it can be handy to have bear spray on you to use after you get dumped in front of a bear.

1 Like

Unless you land on the can and it explodes in your pocket

2 Likes

Maybe it would make you a less appetizing meal?

2 Likes

Meh, riding and hiking aren’t the only sports subject to bear encounters😉

6 Likes

I used to trail ride extensively in black bear country. Once, my gelding and I were happily trotting along the trail when we stumbled upon a bear. The bear, startled, turned and stood up. My gelding did the spook/table thing, and all of a sudden we were trotting back down the trail in the opposite direction.

Not sure where the bear went lol

Black bears aren’t a bother. I’m not sure I’d want to run into a grizzly.

2 Likes

Bear spray has some risks in the situation of getting dumped but I’d still rather have something if I end up unplanned afoot in the wilderness, which is a possibility every time we go out. I’m pretty squishy; I think BS would survive an oh crap dismount with me. The trigger is pretty well protected and my squish would have to somehow hit a rock just right to make it go off. We’ve had it with us on many many pack trips and I’m not comfortable carrying a pistol on me so BS it is. We’re in grizzly central so…

1 Like