Unlimited access >

Do you use coolers as blanket liners?

The average cooler is a thin these days, I wouldn’t expect it to add much – maybe 50-100g. The heftier Rambo wool coolers would likely add 150g-200g if paired with a windproof/weatherproof blanket.

I have totally done it in unusual circumstances, like Texarkana said – but even fleece coolers tend to stretch and pull back a bit over the shoulders and withers when worn for more than a day. They are just not made to be worn 24/7. It is not a permanent solution but it sure beats buying another blanket for those weirdly in-between fluke weather days, especially if you are a boarder limited to a certain number of blankets or limited space. When you have a whole herd to outfit, it doesn’t make much sense to buy a heavy weight (for example) for every single horse when you’re likely to only use it one or two days out of the year. I’m all about less is more - my horses have rain sheets, 100gs, and mediums - that’s it. The mediums stay on the shelf most of the year, and if I ever find I need a heavy, I either layer the 100gs with the mediums, or use a cooler.

I’ve done it when it unexpectedly snowed or rained and the blankets were in the wash, a blanket was soaked through, or, one year when it dipped below 0F with whipping winds in November! None of my herd really had much of a coat yet.

1 Like

I have before. My cooler does have front straps, belly straps, and tail cord so stays in place well.

However, if it is truly that cold (last winter when it was well below 0 and my horse was clipped) I layered a medium turnout under his heavy with a hood and felt he got a more heat that way.

I never do, but today I sure did with -22c without the wind chill, he was shivering. The fleece underlayer was what warmed him up.

Before I got a winter turn out for project mare who gets chilly easy, I had a rain sheet and fleece cooler with belly straps on her. Stall with runout. Worked just fine. The rain sheet seems to hold everything in place.

I don’t think a cooler ads much warmth, it would be a last resort for me. Last night we had - 36C and most of my guys were fine layered up with one 100g and one 300g. The TB had layers totalling about 550g plus a high neck. Everyone was just about the perfect temp.

I think it depends on the cooler. I have a Horseware Fleece Cooler, thick, would definitely think its 100g.
A thin fleece is about 50g.

I went to an out of town show in late fall that ended up unexpectedly cold. I had only taken a cooler and a rain sheet with no fill (there was a chance of some rain and I wanted it for hand walking if it did) for my horse but no actual fill blanket. Well, when the temps dropped unexpectedly I ended up layering the two and my horse felt quite warm under his combo.

I can’t calculate exactly how much warmth it added, but I suspect the combo was roughly the equivalent of his medium weight blanket based on how he felt underneath. of course, all of this would depend greatly on the type of cooler and the material. The cooler I used was a fleece one that fits him very well and has all the straps. but I actually suspect wool would be even warmer.

In the past I have also put a wool cooler over a stableblanket (not a turnout) to add some warmth.

1 Like

I know a fleece layer just under my parka makes a huge difference when I go out to the barn. It’s part of my standard outfit when temps go below 15 or 20 (F). And of course, so does even a thin wool sweater.

(I’m not suggesting it should be similarly standard for a horse, just that it must add some warmth.)

1 Like