Unlimited access >

Dog Kibble, Experience and Opinions

I don’t feed grain free. Acana has a line of kibble that has grain in it.
Sheilah

I’ve done several brands over the years free-feeding my picky, lean ‘village’ dog.

• Dog Lover’s Gold: She did great on it but didn’t wolf it down, but we moved so I had to find an alternative
  • Instinct Be natural: was pretty meh about it and coat / energy levels seemed ‘duller’
  • Taste of the Wild: same as above, but was easier to source and was the same as my parent’s dog so made mutual dog-sitting easier
  • Petcurean Go!: Only started this recently and she LOVES it. I actually don’t free-feed anymore because she eats it as soon as I put it down. Coat is glorious, energy level is great, so far really really pleased!

She has a stomach of steel and no allergy issues so it’s more about her energy, coat, eye-goop (or lack of), that indicates how well she’s doing on a food.

1 Like

Considering the fact that all my dogs do their best to shove the goats away from their morning grain, I think that maybe a little grain in the kibble isn’t a bad thing? Mine obviously like it too.

No, this has not been retracted at all. This is an ongoing issue.

My information comes from a personal friend who is also a veterinary cardiologist.

Also, not all implicated foods are grain free. UC Davis has a good bit of information available on this issue if anyone is interested.

I thought the heart issues were thought to be a low taurine issue? And that legumes might be problematic?

Yeah, it really has. The FDA has walked it way back, which is not at all surprising considering what little evidence there was with the release.

https://medium.com/@danielschulof_18279/bad-science-and-big-business-are-behind-the-biggest-pet-food-story-in-a-decade-5cdafae7be77

3 Likes

You are, of course, welcome to believe internet research over the opinion of a board certified veterinary cardiologist.

Current thinking is that legumes may block absorption of taurine, but it has not been proven. It is not as simple as just low taurine. Large amounts of legumes in a food are definitely a red flag.

1 Like

Shrug. I thought the research was weak at best when it was first released and was appalled at how the FDA handled it. Scores of vets, including cardiologists, have come to the same conclusion.

I included a peer reviewed publication in my links above. You’re welcome to forward it to your cardiologist friend.

3 Likes

Orijen original is not grain free. I specifically avoided grain free due to the controversy. My dogs ate my horses grain with no repercussions. I’d rather err on the safe side.Text

I did try limited ingredient food and grain fee for a bit. Just to eliminate if it was causing itches. Didn’t seem to make a difference.

Itchy little princess

1 Like

Titan is made near me.
They have quite a few different premade blends.
I pick up in bulk right from their processing plant.
I use their blends as a base for my feeding program.
Makes life so much easier.
Dogs look fantastic & love it.

1 Like

I wish I lived so close! I have heard the price point is even better if you are able to do local pick up! I have chatted with some people who feed it and have been very happy if I ever get my act together and make space in my small chest freezer it is top of my list to make time to do a pickup from the co-op group!

1 Like

Since I typically purchase about 400-500# at a time, it does add up to a nice savings.

Neeko had a vet checkup and another round of vaccines. Said Orijen is about the best kibble out there. So I’m going to stick with it for a while. Poop is already better, although still a mix of old and new.

But keep discussing, as I may revisit this info down the road

(All of Orijen’s dry kibbles are grain-free.)

I guess there us no corn, etc. but there are beans etc

yes, not carb-free.

1 Like

We’ve had excellent results on Fromm kibble as well. They have both grain and grain free options. We’ve fed the four star chicken version w/grain for the last several years and our dogs thrive on it.

For reference, we have Greyhounds, Standard Schnauzers and Jack Russells. The schnauzers and jacks free feed.

1 Like

Several at my barn feed SportDog kibble, which I’ve used in the past (have switched to raw and just have a small bag of Origin for bobbles, like when the raw I put in the fridge is still frozen 12 hours later). Very nice super helpful people; lots of options for protein etc levels and ingredients. Not inexpensive, but the recommended feeding amount is less than many cheaper foods.

1 Like

A few weeks later update. Have been feeding Orijen six fish. Mini poodle considerably less itchy. GSD a but better. Orijen is grain free, we’ll be switching to arcana, made by Orijen but with grains. Better safe than sorry.

Said it can take 6-8 weeks to see a difference. Said it could be environmental. Gave me dosing for Benadryl. I’m not going into hundreds or thousands in allergy testing, nor did they Encourage that.

Just has an $1,100 cat urgent vet, and a $5,500 emergency eye surgery on my toy poodle.

Have I mentioned I took insurance out on GSD pup … LOL

2 Likes