Unlimited access >

Dogs at Barn are Ruining my Zen

I am a boarder that brings my dog to the barn where there is a resident barn dog and a handful of other dogs make appearances now and then. I am very very “team barn dog”…what you describe would drive me CRAZY. Nothing makes me madder then owners with horrible animals who are blind to the fact that their dog is being horrible (or worse…see it and don’t drastically change the situation)

However I also agree with PP that you really only have 2 options:

• Accept it and see if a couple mild changes make it slightly more tolerable
  • Move barns

People are touchy about their dogs and owners with out of control animals now generally aren’t going to magically have in-control animals in the near future. The fact a dog is doing ‘out of control’ behaviors is actively undoing any training attempt an owner may have made / be making. Managing a dog so they are prevented from doing the wrong behaviors is really the first step to having a well behaved dog. This doesn’t mean there can’t be slip ups…but those should be exceptions not the norm.

I’m sorry you’re in this situation OP - but only you can decide if putting up with dog’s behavior is worth the perks of the barn or not.

5 Likes

I don’t understand it either. Lots of horses are just not ok with dogs; it makes sense that they would consider them to be prey, and potentially defend themselves with a deadly kick.

I took lessons at a barn that had two big hairy dogs that would jump into water troughs and then roll in the arena, and just be disgusting filthy muddy messes rubbing up against you. I love dogs, and my tolerance for them (and dirt) is really high - but they were gross and it was tiresome to have all your clothes wet and dirty before you even got into the barn. I don’t think I could have boarded a horse there.

7 Likes

I’ve been attacked by dogs. Several times. One time at a boarding barn, so I’ve absolutely been in your situation. And I’ve witnessed, twice, someone getting chased by a dog on horseback. The first time ended with a broken saddle and a bruised teen. The second time ended with a young girl who had one of the worst arm fractures I have ever seen. Her arm was literally in two. I don’t know who the surgeon was but he must have been a miracle worker.

I’ve also had my horses attacked by dogs; even dogs that were supposedly horse safe. I’ve been chased by dogs on horseback myself.

So if it was me? I’d leave immediately. My safety and my horses safety is more important. I’d let the trainer know, politely, that you don’t feel safe with the loose dogs around and so you will be leaving at the end of the month. If she says ‘oh but these dogs are so safe!’ Just say that you have had bad experiences in the past and that you don’t feel comfortable around them.

14 Likes

I would move. I have zero interest in putting my horses in the situation of being chased by dogs. They already do a good enough job at trying to injure themselves in turnout.

I have never understood why horse people get herding dogs either. Do you like possible tendon injuries from bites? I’ve seen it happen! More than once…

13 Likes

Exactly. And some horses, like my aged Percheron gelding, even seem to take the offensive position. He was sweet as could be and so level-headed that it was more like having a human in a horse costume around than an actual horse. His only hot button was anything coming into his fields that wasn’t a human, horse, or cat. He despised dogs and wild canids and was 100% out for blood if one dared venture into his domain. I didn’t get the sense that he was particularly afraid of them, either. He would wholesale attack and there seemed to be an element of sport involved in it or him. That always got the rest of the crew rolling along with him, too. We never had a fox or coyote problem for as long as he was alive, despite having about 11 bajillion chickens and turkeys running around the place.
Acquaintances used to run their Belgian mare with their herd of mama cows for precisely the same reason. She loved the baby cows and despised dogs/coyote. Saved the day on a few occasions where coyote tried to take advantage and swoop in on a calf while the mama cow still down from calving. She’d attack coyote like a donkey does – rearing, striking, even grabbing them by the back of the neck and shaking them.

I do wonder about some dog owners sometimes. I mean, eastern coyote are fairly large animals, like 45-65 lbs. A 15 lbs jack russell doesn’t stand a chance in a confrontation with a horse that delights in picking up a 60 lbs wild canid by the neck and flinging it around like a rag doll.

7 Likes

Has anyone else been at barns with cats allowed in the arena during lessons and chickens? I’ve put up with it, but I admit I’m not a fan (especially when having a lesson). And no, I did not complain, because it wasn’t my barn (before people pounce).

But I didn’t like it! I understand cats will be cats, btw, but there’s a big different between “accidental cat intrusion, cat gets shooed out” versus “cat lives here, you don’t” attitude.

@TheDBYC I agree 100%. Even as someone who has been very fond of laid-back barn dogs, I agree that it makes no sense from a risk mitigation perspective. But truthfully, I think there are some people who just resent any need to have to contain their dogs, if their barking dogs don’t bother them, and their personal horses are okay with dogs.

In all honest, most of the unruly dogs I’ve been around at barns (except one) have not been scary or bad dogs. They were just territorial and not crazy about people who weren’t “their people” in “their home.” It’s just a problem when someone is running a business that by definition requires people who don’t live there to come and go, which some dogs can’t accept, and the owner doesn’t want to put the dogs a place away from the horses to chill.

I really don’t mind dogs at barns, even barking ones, but the owner needs to have a realistic perspective on how much the dogs and horses can tolerate, and have a game plan to deal with it, other than ignoring things.

6 Likes

I used to ride at a place with a loose pig! She loved my horse in particular, would wind around his legs while I groomed and tacked up, then follow us out to the arena. She followed us into the arena a few times, then started just walking along the outside of the arena, waiting for my ride to be done so she could visit again.

Her name was Thelma.

14 Likes

I bring my dog to the barn. That said, she sits and I hold her collar whenever a rider leads a horse past us down the aisle - not because I have to, but because she is my responsibility and liability 100% of the time. She does not jump or bark st people and has no interest getting close to horses. While I’m riding, she quietly waits leashed in our corner of the tack room or in my car. When she is unleashed on property, she is within 5 feet of me. I’ve never needed anyone to tell me this, it’s common courtesy! Not all people like dogs and NO ONE likes poorly behaved dogs - even dog lovers like me. PS: I’ve had this dog for 18 months and can’t count how many offers I’ve gotten for dogsitting or “I’m gonna steal her when you’re not looking” comments. It’s probably a 50/50 split that the same number of horsepeople who let their horses walk all over them let their dogs do the same :frowning: If I were the OP, I’d move. Telling the dog owner something they should already know is pointless.

19 Likes

Sorry, but it doesn’t sound me like she knows what she is doing at all. Not with those horrible dogs and her own yelling at them.
It follows that IMO her programs sucks.
I’m sorry it’s such a hell for you. I could not deal with it.

9 Likes

I got chased by a mini donk while riding my horse in the arena. My horse didn’t mind but he’d been turned out with said mini donk and they liked playing biter face :woman_shrugging:t2:

8 Likes

Every place I’ve ever boarded had a strict dogs on leash policy. Also every place I’ve ever boarded has had loose dogs running around that belonged to the trainers. The BOs seem to have no interest in enforcing the leash rule.

My issue has always been that if your dog is running around lord knows where, it’s also pooping out of sight of the owner.

One of the most expensive barns I’ve ridden at had dog crap everywhere. The trainers never saw it happen, it wasn’t the grooms’ job, so it was usually me that picked it up.

I would ask the trainer if she wouldn’t mind kenneling the dogs while you work with your horse. She might say no but you’ll have planted the seed.

4 Likes

The barking would drive me to distraction. I realize that dogs will bark, but continuous barking is not OK and should be stopped by the dog owner. Screaming at them obviously doesn’t help.

@TheDBYC I had a gelding that would not tolerate dogs in his territory. He would go after them in a serious manner. My dogs learned quickly not to enter his space.

Under saddle and hacking out, he was fine with them, but woe to the dog that came into his paddock.

8 Likes

Move. Don’t even try to say really why. Say you’ve developed a paralyzing fear of dogs and need to move for your own peace of mind.

3 Likes

I’d move. I boarded at a place once where the BM had 7 dogs that ran amok all day. Boarders were allowed to bring off leash dogs too. One got two young St. Bernards. Another got a pair of puppies of a different giant breed. Then there was the snapping terrier gang. Before you know it, the screaming, galumphing, rollicking juggernaut of houndage was unbearable.

Running between tied horse legs. Stealing brushes and chewing them up. Chasing you as you rode. Eating horse feed from their feed pan. Peeing on anything you set down for a second. And crap. Crap everywhere. Picking dog$hit out of your horses hooves is such fun…

It’s so nice to be at a dog free barn :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I wouldn’t lie. I’d say “to be honest, the loose dogs are a problem for me, between them following/chasing me and my horse, and the constant yelling at dogs. It’s ruining my zen.”

(OK, maybe not say zen, but I think a trainer should know that the dog situation is causing lost clientele. Maybe that’s fine with them. But maybe they will realize that they are losing good money for something that isn’t necessary in their program.)

16 Likes

Ok. But I doubt it will be received well. It possibly may morph into “she had the nerve to tell me how to run my business”.

I wish you good luck and a successful soft landing at a wonderful place.

6 Likes

Another for the anecdata compilation:

Recently stayed at a B&B that had a walking path encircling their field, which contained the farm’s collection of sheep and goats. Said field was post-and-rail, with several hot wires strung from ground level up to about 2’, all set 6” inside the wooden fence. Clearly designed to keep the livestock in, and other critters (two-legged and four-legged) out.

We happened upon another couple, walking the path with their unleashed dog. The wife sadly and indignantly reported that poor Fluffy had gotten zapped when she “tried to go play with the goats.”

People be stupid. Smart businesses will have systems in place to minimize the effects.

27 Likes

Maybe. But, if so…who cares? It can be delivered nicely - “trainer, I really like your program. But the loose dogs are causing me anxiety when working with my young horse. Thank you for everything, though.”

It’s possible the trainer might say “you know, that’s something we can change”. For all you know, she’s been hearing it from other boarders too.

18 Likes

Which is pretty much what I said to say?

1 Like

You said to “say you’ve developed a paralyzing fear of dogs.” That’s not the same at all. It’s a problem to have loose dogs around horses, not because the OP is afraid of dogs. The honest answer is that she doesn’t want to deal with the dogs. I wouldn’t be surprised if half the other boarders feel the same way.

10 Likes