Unlimited access >

Dorm gel use when farrier comes

Twitches can be used effectively and without causing a traumatic experience.

For oral meds in a tube (dewormer or dorm gel) I rub the tube all over their face. Between the ears, forehead, over the lips, chin until they just hold still. Then I practice inserting into their mouths, but not dispensing which is easiest with an empty tube. Then we dose. I agree with others that say if you can get it in the back of the mouth, pointing down, then you will probably get it under the tongue.

When I was using dorm for the farrier for my horse, my farrier mentioned how oral horse meds (dewormers, dorm, etc) have the high end of the dosage on the tube, to account for some spillage, spittage, getting it on your shirt.

1 Like

Earlier this year, I got a mare out of a bad neglect situation, basically running feral with a herd for two years before they were removed from that situation. Sweet mare with a strong aversion to hind legs being handled. Weā€™ve been through two trim cycles now with dorm on board and itā€™s been a big benefit to getting her feet back on track. Sheā€™s a 15 hand Morgan so I donā€™t have the same challenges you do with accessing her mouth. While Iā€™m working on basic handling, weā€™ll likely go one more cycle with the dorm just to keep everyone safe.

I just wanted to chime in to say that the plunger on the tube is a lot easier to push in than a typical tube of wormer. Also, the tip on the end of the tube is a fine point, which helps a lot with directing the gel under the tongue. I had no idea how my mare would do with a tube in her mouth but since she was so unhandled, I assumed she wouldnā€™t love it :wink: So for a couple of weeks, we practiced with a syringe of apple juice, and I really focused on making sure I was directing the practice tube as close to under her tongue as I could get it so she was used to it. When the time came for the dorm, she was surprisingly easy to dose. Because the tube is so easy to use, it goes in more quickly than you might expect, almost before they realize what youā€™re doing. Hopefully with some practice rounds with your gelding heā€™ll get with the program when the time comes for the real stuff.

4 Likes

I have a horse with shivers behind who needs help with the hind legs. One tube of dorm gel did not do it. After a day at the vetā€™s, who weighed him, I found out he is 1400 lbs! I spoke to my vet, who recommended a tube and 1/3 of gel. It worked like a CHARM! He is a 17h warmblood, so I bet your horse is quite a bit heavier than 1000 lbs. We do not put it under his tongue, as he is too reactive. But, we take our time, and play with the corners of his mouth with the tube until he settles. Good luck!

2 Likes