Unlimited access >

Down vote

Agree, civility has declined but you can find it on other forums. The two I read are extremely civil, and participating is a pleasure. One is big and one is small (college confidential and the d3 soccer boards).

1 Like

That’s because some areas of the forum (CE) are all but an echo chamber. If you post there, expect to get piled on. It’s fine, it’s just some people are not comfortable with having their views challenged in any way, shape, or form.

Nor can it be conceptualized that if you don’t subscribe to a particular way of thinking, that you don’t necessarily belong to the “opposing” side.

Nature of that particular beast. Endure it, or leave it.

1 Like

So strange how we all remember things so differently. I am not saying anyone is wrong here, I am simply saying that we each have our own way of remembering.

COTH has always been harsh, in my opinion. When I joined here it was with much trepidation.

I was already on another horse BB that everyone had to be nice to everyone else. You could not tell someone they were wrong even if what they were doing was a real safety concern. People asking for a conformation analysis would get upset if you pointed out a flaw and that would get removed and the person who posted it would get their hand slapped.

I joined here in the days when we had very active farriers and other professionals and there was some serious disagreements about all kinds of stuff, especially in the horse care section.

I do not remember COTH ever being all nice and butterflies. It has always been a place where people are allowed to discuss, even when they do not agree.

4 Likes

Ha ha I am probably looking back with rose colored glasses. I remember the farriers. I remember loving holidays when we’d have a 24 hour off topic forum (I forget what it was called).

I am not opposed to disagreeing, but I don’t think people have to be disagreeable while doing it, is all.

Yes. That lead to some fun threads.

And it was always fun how people with a not horse related question, made it into a horse related question, just so they could ask this group of people during a time when there was no Off Topic.

1 Like

Aww thanks for all your input to my question/suggestion! Flew home early as life gets messy. Don’t really want to talk about it. I thought a thumbs down a la Reddit would maybe keep topics on topic rather than posting styles. Alas it’s been tried!

Y’all are great regardless :blush:.

We don’t want to keep on topic :). The drift of topic is actually really useful, we end up discussing all sorts of things

3 Likes

Not 1998.Either late 99 or early 2000 (I joined in Feb 2000 and it was brand new.)

ESPECIALLY Sport Horse Breeding. That used to get really nasty.

2 Likes

In one of the earlier renditions of COTH there was a thumbs up and thumbs down option at the bottom of each post. I seem to remember this coincided with when FB really took off.

It could be useful, for when someone posted something really left field. But I mostly saw it as a pile on, where posters who maybe weren’t popular with a group of people really got run off and out of a thread.

I think COTH is better now than it used it be tone wise. Especially the Breeding Forum. Unfortunately we lost quite a few breeders in the last decade, age or death or just retirement - but I used to avoid posting at all in that forum because people did come for you.

2 Likes

:-1:
:+1:

There is still (again?) a thumbs up and a thumbs down emoji
(Though I admit I did not realize this until I just went looking for them because of your post, so thank you @beowulf.)

1 Like

D’oh. I said “emoji” when I meant “option”. That is what I get for browsing COTH at 2 am because I can’t sleep.

1 Like

Hey, I am glad you said it.
I had never thought to look for those and I am glad to find them.

1 Like